Fish are dying

Jay Hemdal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 31, 2020
Messages
2,388
Reaction score
2,444
Location
Dundee
No need eh?
Hmmm.... just to help controlling algae at bay then.
Only free floating algae, as those are the only type that passes through the unit. I use one on a 2000 gallon koi pond.
Jay
 
Top Shelf Aquatics

Jay Hemdal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 31, 2020
Messages
2,388
Reaction score
2,444
Location
Dundee
am i the only one here concerned about the 11.3 VAC that is being measured in the water ?

How are you measuring this ? are you measureing from water to ground of the power source.

If so and you are reading a AC voltage of 11.3 ? id be concerned of electrocution to the inhabitants. ?

should not see a voltage higher then mabye +or- 1.0
The fish aren’t grounded so there is no risk of them being electrocuted, however a person reaching into the tank is at least partially grounded so the is a risk to them. All aquarium equipment should be on a GFCI circuit to protect people.
Jay
 

excell007

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 15, 2020
Messages
284
Reaction score
236
Location
Houston
Began with small anthias being chased by bigger anthias during feeding (maintaining dominance position); suddenly it hit a rock and seizure, drifting with current. I put the anthias easily in acclimation box because of seizure condition. Other fish were still normal.

24 hours in the box was quite stressful then i let that one back to reef, only to found the next day it was died. Other anthias still eagerly ate food. A few days later bigger anthias won't come out during feeding then a few days later was found dead. Then one by one had the same fate. This hiding behavior occured during brightlight and blue light.

No rubbing on rock, no visible ich or velvet, no shaking head. No swimming near powerhead.
Looking at the first dying anthias i thought it was HLLE.

Last fish alive was YT, during morning feeding it was suddenly panick and swam thru a rock making him paralyzed then I got the chance to scoop him out into QT for PraziPro treatment. But 36 hours later it also died.

Post mortem dipped in fresh water (sorry idk what to look for this flukes)
Looks like agression and dying of blunt force trauma. Too many fishes in a small tank.
 
Shop Online with Zoanthids.com!

excell007

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 15, 2020
Messages
284
Reaction score
236
Location
Houston
I may get some flame on this, but I don't buy on the stray voltage theory. Electricity travels the path of least resistance, unless the fish is grounded they shouldn't get electrocuted. We feel stray voltage , if high enough, when we dip our hands on the tank because it can pass thru us on its way to the ground if we are not insulated. Just like those birds on high-tension wire, they're actually standing on a wire with thousands of volts but don't get electrocuted because they're not grounded.
 

smacbride

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 14, 2020
Messages
114
Reaction score
175
Location
Denver
On another post somebody was mentioning stray voltage in a tank being as high as 10 volts, and I thought "no way". I tested mine and it's in the MV range. Nothing more than if you grabbed on the ends of the test leads with your bare hands.

I would say that anything above a MV range reading is way too much!

10 volts would be like throwing a 9 volt battery into your tank!
 
Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
T

TheLove

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2020
Messages
35
Reaction score
6
Location
Jakarta
Although not a contributor. ......
Your MAG IS HIGH.
CA is low
Salinity slightly low

Mag - 1300
CA - 450
Salinity - 35pt

You mentioned itching- crypto or velvet would be my suspect
Running a high Mg I thought would lower algae as after diatoms, I got cyano then changed to gha and now starting some dino. No rowaphos, no nopox, no additives, just chaeto and some bacteria.
 
OP
T

TheLove

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2020
Messages
35
Reaction score
6
Location
Jakarta
Doesn't look like any parasites or disease from the corpse photos...

Did you possibly have a bacterial bloom which starved oxygen? Are you running a overflow? Skimmer? Good surface agitation?
no bacterial bloom.
yup overflow and sump underneath with skimmer.
lots of surface agitation with 3 powerheads
 
OP
T

TheLove

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2020
Messages
35
Reaction score
6
Location
Jakarta
am i the only one here concerned about the 11.3 VAC that is being measured in the water ?

How are you measuring this ? are you measureing from water to ground of the power source.

If so and you are reading a AC voltage of 11.3 ? id be concerned of electrocution to the inhabitants. ?

should not see a voltage higher then mabye +or- 1.0
black probe into the ground port of electric socket.
red probe into DT, avometer set to AC voltage.
along i put my finger on the water surface to check for electric shock barefeet.
 
OP
T

TheLove

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2020
Messages
35
Reaction score
6
Location
Jakarta
and the fact that when you flip a light switch it lowers the AC voltage !! Your fish more then likely died of electrocution.,
how fast does a fish die from stray voltage? hours, days, weeks or months?
 
OP
T

TheLove

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2020
Messages
35
Reaction score
6
Location
Jakarta
I’m really sorry for your loss. My tank was wiped out because of velvet. I dipped my coral, but didn’t quarantine them. You can get details and changes I’ve made on my build thread. These are the first two I lost. This is what velvet looked like in my tank..

thanks for saying that.


behavior wise --> my fish weren't like your clownfish, more toward your Tang.
however i find it difficult to observe velvet on your Tang. sorry, i'm a newbie... don't have a good eye for parasite or fish sickness.

When your fallow period is complete, make sure to research the fish you choose to add to your tank. That was a lot of fish for a 30 gallon tank and most would agree that a 30 gallon is too small to house a tang. I only had two clownfish, a flame hawkfish and blue chromis in a 40 gallon tank.

My plan is to have only utilitarian fish : algae control & pest control. Hopefully by the number of the fish, I have enough stock to maintain some nitrate in the water.
What is your suggestion for that purpose?
 
OP
T

TheLove

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2020
Messages
35
Reaction score
6
Location
Jakarta
1) bigger UV than listed, or don’t botjer with one at all

2) I know nothing about dosing (for aquariums) but that strikes me as a lot of dosing for a tank that is young and up until recently had no corals. Something has to consume the elements you add
ahhh... i prefer with the no UV route, simpler.

i have 7 colonies of acros, 12 acro frags and some LPS in tank. and they are growing. some acro frags are starting to encrust also. I think by their growth, those corals would consume something from water column.

and also coralline.
 
OP
T

TheLove

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2020
Messages
35
Reaction score
6
Location
Jakarta
On another post somebody was mentioning stray voltage in a tank being as high as 10 volts, and I thought "no way". I tested mine and it's in the MV range. Nothing more than if you grabbed on the ends of the test leads with your bare hands.

I would say that anything above a MV range reading is way too much!

10 volts would be like throwing a 9 volt battery into your tank!
i'd test again for AC and DC volt and take some photos.
DC volt in tank is worse than AC volt, I think.
 
OP
T

TheLove

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2020
Messages
35
Reaction score
6
Location
Jakarta
The fish aren’t grounded so there is no risk of them being electrocuted, however a person reaching into the tank is at least partially grounded so the is a risk to them. All aquarium equipment should be on a GFCI circuit to protect people.
Jay

i don't have an aquarium controller to notify me if something happens with the tank. i'm afraid with a GFCI circuit, it can be blown without anyone noticing and I ended up having a tank without electricity while I'm at work.
 
OP
T

TheLove

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 21, 2020
Messages
35
Reaction score
6
Location
Jakarta
I may get some flame on this, but I don't buy on the stray voltage theory. Electricity travels the path of least resistance, unless the fish is grounded they shouldn't get electrocuted. We feel stray voltage , if high enough, when we dip our hands on the tank because it can pass thru us on its way to the ground if we are not insulated. Just like those birds on high-tension wire, they're actually standing on a wire with thousands of volts but don't get electrocuted because they're not grounded.
yep, while checking stray voltage with an avometer, i also dip a finger to feel whether there's an electric shock, barefeet.
 

How's your tank currently looking?

  • Never better

    Votes: 57 15.0%
  • Pretty good

    Votes: 165 43.4%
  • Just OK

    Votes: 83 21.8%
  • Not great

    Votes: 42 11.1%
  • Prett Bad

    Votes: 14 3.7%
  • Yuck

    Votes: 10 2.6%
  • Other (please explain)

    Votes: 9 2.4%

Online statistics

Members online
2,196
Guests online
5,659
Total visitors
7,855
Aqua SD
Top