Fish blowing bubbles

Nano Gabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my fox face and pink square anthias like to go to the surface and blow bubbles through their gills. Anyone ever experience this before? I have good surface agitation with my gyre and my skimmer should be providing plenty of oxygen. Other fish in the tank don’t do this.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface does it constantly. He actually now surfaces takes a gulp goes down releases, then he plays with the bubbles. Not sure if something wrong with him but he has been doing it for almost 2 years now so I think he is only playing. Pretty goofy fish.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my swallowtail angelfish does this shes been doin it for months she actually jumped out twice before i put mesh tops on my tank luckily i was sitting right there and was able to put her back in quickly

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As long as you don't see any fish breathing heavily, they may just be playing. But watch them carefully while they're submerged, in case those two, and not the others, have something wrong with their gills. If they never breathe hard, they're probably fine.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two black clowns are hosted in the top left corner of my display and my fox face goes and gulps air in their corner.
... the clowns also do it now. ;)

capt.dave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Scribbled Rabbitfish in quarantine who's doing the same thing and was pretty concerned until I found this thread so I'm grateful for it. All day long he swims around the tank and every couple minutes he goes to the surface, gulps air, and blows bubbles out his gills. Then he comes back down and darts around the tank. I was concerned he was sick but he eats voraciously, is extremely active, isn't breathing heavy, so I think @Topekoms opinion that he's board and needs something to do is right on. Come to think of it, this fish is a lot like my teenage son. I'll bet if I put a hydrophone in the water I could hear him belching after each gulp. I wonder if I should toss a small ball or something in there. On second thought, if I do that I'll have to get on him about cleaning up his tank.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I do have a quick question. It could just be behavior. Are these new fish? It may be a sign of flukes possibly in the gills and they are gasping for breath.

But, that would only be my guess if these were new fish coming from a same source. Can’t hurt to be safe.

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Foxface sneaks into the corner, turns completely black, puts it's snout out of the water and eats air.. I was worried at first but noticed it seemed to enjoy it. After submersing, it blows the bubbles out and turns yellow. It is amazing how it can turn completely pitch black and then yellow again so quickly.

I have had the fish for more then 2 years.. it is fat, healthy and happy...
5CDFF467-E8D6-4E38-832A-93F1174784F1.png

Last edited:

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male Lamarks angel that does the same thing. Mostly later in the day though. No other fish in the tank does it. Female Lamarks doesn't do it.

capt.dave

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I do have a quick question. It could just be behavior. Are these new fish? It may be a sign of flukes possibly in the gills and they are gasping for breath.

But, that would only be my guess if these were new fish coming from a same source. Can’t hurt to be safe.
I actually thought flukes, too, and can’t rule it out yet because I haven’t started treating for them prophylacticly yet but so many others have had the same experience that I suspect (hope) it’s just having fun. General Cure starts in a couple days, though, so we’ll find out.

Back