Fish Breathing: Normal or Abnormal?

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goodmorning R2R fam! I got up to check on my fish this morning and they look to be breathing a little weird.. Is this normal? I added an airstone to help in case oxygen is the issue. We left to church so I didn’t have time to check the parameters, but the only new things I’ve done is change my filter sock (washed with tap water from the hose and left to air dry for two days — never has been an issue before) && dose some Vibrant, since I have a GHA/Dino’s issue right now.
Here’s a video of my lyretail breathing as an example:
Here’s all my fish after adding an airstone:

FiveGallonSea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been dosing Vibrant? Their breathing seems slightly labored. I've had this in the past and almost never fixed it by adding oxygenation to the water. It either resolves or they die. However for me it affects an individual fish. If you have more than one exhibiting this then it can be oxygen or something else that's changed.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be oxygen depletion caused of the vibrant addition - directly or indirectly. Indirectly by the fact that vibrant kill algae, Bacteria attack dead algae, bacteria consume oxygen. Direct if Vibrant affect the breathing system of fish

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you been dosing Vibrant? Their breathing seems slightly labored. I've had this in the past and almost never fixed it by adding oxygenation to the water. It either resolves or they die. However for me it affects an individual fish. If you have more than one exhibiting this then it can be oxygen or something else that's changed.
Just started two weeks ago. Second dose went in yesterday.

Whatever is bothering them, I hope they all beat it... I guess I could add some antibiotics to their food to help with whatever they’re dealing with :( Any suggestions as to antibiotics to add? Other than heavy breathing, the fish aren’t exhibiting any other symptoms of illness.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - do not add any antibiotics if you do not see any specific indication of bacterial disease or not any medication if there is no indication of a specific disease. Heavy breathing can have physiological agents like oxygen depletion. Adding a new drug will consume more oxygen and maybe do the whole situation worse. Aerate, go down in food (even stop feeding for a day or two). prepare for a WC

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO - do not add any antibiotics if you do not see any specific indication of bacterial disease or not any medication if there is no indication of a specific disease. Heavy breathing can have physiological agents like oxygen depletion. Adding a new drug will consume more oxygen and maybe do the whole situation worse. Aerate, go down in food (even stop feeding for a day or two). prepare for a WC

Sincerely Lasse
Will do! Upon coming home, I noticed my anemone has completely gone missing. I even disassembled the rocks it was on to see if I find it but can’t find anything.. it’s been on the same rock for months. Today it has disappeared... Prior to seeing this message, I fed my fish to see if they are still eating && they are. At least that’s a good sign.

OP
OP
AmaleeC

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. So I have reason to believe the fish may have ick. They’re breathing heavy, staying in one place instead of swimming around like usual, and they have these small white spots. I also noticed my royal gramma wiping himself along the back wall of the tank. Thoughts? Treatment ideas?

BA5A6245-7DB9-443E-AC88-CAEF4F1A91C2.png 444F9E21-FEB0-4021-9D5A-6FE2F11BE5B5.png
1471C8BD-F7F8-4648-83C6-299364A9021B.png

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats change the game - now you need to do something with medication - go to the disease forum - there is treatment protocols up sticky I think.

Sincerely Lasse

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back