Fish building/man cave build!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping you would chime in.

So one of those over a 30x30x8 tank with a couple blue light bars for color? I have a ton of LED parts and could whip up the bars in about 30 minutes.
30x 30 I would do 2 with bars.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, I miss that tank more every time I see a pic.

:)
This tank is going to FL tomorrow and will be setup over my time down there. It will not have water in it for a bit, but I am keeping this one for sure. Love the dimensions and love it for a lagoon. I plan to also reseal it and use black silicone to do that. No need to reseal, but want to make a look a little better lol.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30x 30 I would do 2 with bars.

So one grow fixture and a bar on either side. I plan on 24" bars with 410,430 and 445 nanometer leds probably 4 of each on each bar just to give color and it will be dimmable. I have those LEDs in my supplies right now

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is going to FL tomorrow and will be setup over my time down there. It will not have water in it for a bit, but I am keeping this one for sure. Love the dimensions and love it for a lagoon. I plan to also reseal it and use black silicone to do that. No need to reseal, but want to make a look a little better lol.

So you are making the move? I know we talked about it.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one grow fixture and a bar on either side. I plan on 24" bars with 410,430 and 445 nanometer leds probably 4 of each on each bar just to give color and it will be dimmable. I have those LEDs in my supplies right now
that should work. I went with 1 light about every foot, as I wanted a ton of par. This was without the bars, with the bars, I had them turned down as they were really only used for "pop".

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are making the move? I know we talked about it.
The move is not until sometime next fall/winter, but it is happening. I am just taking things down when we go down there at this point. I have a house there, so may as well carry stuff down there to make the move easier. Being as we use the house, it already has beds, furniture and all of that. So that sutff up here will be sold and it will just be personal stuff to go down. My goal is for everything to fit in the vehicles and my race car hauler. Crap part will be the drive back up to get the cars that are supposed to go into the car hauler lol. No way I would drive the TT LSX Volvo wagon down to FL with gas prices as they are now lol. Not to mention, it only has a 6.5 gallon fuel cell lol.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The move is not until sometime next fall/winter, but it is happening. I am just taking things down when we go down there at this point. I have a house there, so may as well carry stuff down there to make the move easier. Being as we use the house, it already has beds, furniture and all of that. So that sutff up here will be sold and it will just be personal stuff to go down. My goal is for everything to fit in the vehicles and my race car hauler. Crap part will be the drive back up to get the cars that are supposed to go into the car hauler lol. No way I would drive the TT LSX Volvo wagon down to FL with gas prices as they are now lol. Not to mention, it only has a 6.5 gallon fuel cell lol.

Well, then you can still help setup tanks when the room is done! :)

Should be ready soon.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am putting together a list of plumbing parts this week so I can order what I am missing.

My buddies are coming over this weekend to help finish the paneling and trim. My wife and her sister start on painting after that.

Once those things are done and I install all the outlets and plates, it's time for tank setup and desk construction!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am putting together a list of plumbing parts this week so I can order what I am missing.

My buddies are coming over this weekend to help finish the paneling and trim. My wife and her sister start on painting after that.

Once those things are done and I install all the outlets and plates, it's time for tank setup and desk construction!
Ohh, shoot me a list of things you may be interested in from FL. I plan to snorkel/dive a few days while down there. It will not be deep dives, as need to stock up on fish (food for me lol) more than other things. Macro, zoas and some other shallow water stuff will be collected for sure.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh, shoot me a list of things you may be interested in from FL. I plan to snorkel/dive a few days while down there. It will not be deep dives, as need to stock up on fish (food for me lol) more than other things. Macro, zoas and some other shallow water stuff will be collected for sure.

Anything you collect will be good. I room in the tub, the 55 and little for corals in the 75. I definitely want macros and zoas but anything shallow water will be good as I will have two of the 30x30 tanks for it.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ray came over and helped Sherry and I get the paneling almost done.

I have to do some trim and put up a couple smaller pieces and it'll be ready for paint.

I promise, this week, paint will start. :)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Steve... :)
more ups than downs,i like that,following along here from get go...;)
just wanna say 1 thing today..."WE" NEED MORE PIC'S...:D

ehh, 2 things...:rolleyes:
really awesome news about your vision...:smiling-face::cool:

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Steve... :)
more ups than downs,i like that,following along here from get go...;)
just wanna say 1 thing today..."WE" NEED MORE PIC'S...:D

ehh, 2 things...:rolleyes:
really awesome news about your vision...:smiling-face::cool:
Ok. I will clean stuff up this week and take pics.

thanks. It’s really incredible and still distracting to put them on. lol

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention I traded frags with another local reefer.

Turns out one of his "Frags" of leather is the size of a volley ball! :) I will get pics today. He also gave me two types of toadstools, some mushrooms, GSP and a gorgeous neon sinularia. The selection of softies for the 12 footer is going to be awesome!

Last edited:
OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't stand the fact that folks try to turn every single hobby into a profit making venture. Can't folks just enjoy something?

(yes, I opened a store. But, I did it not to actually make money, just break even so I could provide what our local hobby folks are starved for. Ask anyone that knows me, I never intended to quit my job and make a living from it)

What's even worse is when someone steals someone else's design and bases a company off of it. This infuriates me.

I have had conversations with a designer that posted his designs for aquarium related stuff for free up until two years ago when, repeatedly, the same company kept printing his designs and selling them as their own. He now refuses to post anything or even help people out with questions. Luckily, he talks to me and I had saved his posts so I can print them when I need them. I also tipped him more than once before he removed them.

Gang, if you use a posted design, tip the designer and give credit where credit is due.
(I don't get tips nor want them. My designs suck!)

Sorry, rant over.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I promised the room would be ready this week for painting and.... I was right!

I finished all the trim and paneling today and even got the breaker box cover on.

Here are a few pics so far. Sorry, I haven't cleaned up the mess yet, that's tomorrow.

ednDObbqTBmIT5ivjjx0Bg.jpg

7CPJ5UC3RuanKNFEsFj1WA.jpg

4E3r2eJhQgaNhu4anUv8Tw.jpg

I have to scrape the ceiling and caulk a few places and then Sherry and her sister can paint.

After that, the tanks start going in. I am so excited!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back