OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a very nice solution @dantimdad - I also love my 3d Printers, I actually just splurged and bought a small Desktop CNC so I can start making small acrylic things. I love this type of stuff and it is amazing how often it comes in handy if you are a DIY'r.
I have two one is setup to cut aluminum. Lots of fun. Soon I will have time to use them. I plan on making some parts for my 77 f150 restomod I have been working on.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You rock sir. Also, check out eh video in my build thread and let me know what you want frags of once you get things ready. I am very very limited on space when the time will come, so need to find homes for things.

Any softies or lps or nps. Or lower light sps

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got you. You gonna get a chunk of Steve-a-pora for sure. Just got to clarify which Steve when you show it off lol.
Shades shipping tomorrow. Turned out nice.

They slip fit, but, I think I would put a dot of tape to snug up the fit a bit. You be the judge on that.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filled the discus tank for a leak test after leveling it. Promptly overflowed 2 gallons or so on the floor. Luckily, it's just concrete. I put some vinegar in there just for a little added cleaning power while it soaks.

I will leave it until Wednesday, drain it, wipe it down, hard scape it and refill it with clean water and fire it up.

Then, it's on to cleaning the twelve foot tank, putting the yoga mats under it and water testing it.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filled the discus tank for a leak test after leveling it. Promptly overflowed 2 gallons or so on the floor. Luckily, it's just concrete. I put some vinegar in there just for a little added cleaning power while it soaks.

I will leave it until Wednesday, drain it, wipe it down, hard scape it and refill it with clean water and fire it up.

Then, it's on to cleaning the twelve foot tank, putting the yoga mats under it and water testing it.
Only 2 gallons aint bad.

I setup a new frag system using a 50g rubbermaid tub and a 100 g rubber made tub for a sump. It is going to be a lagoon style frag with the mangroves in it for giggles. Even did a shoreline and rocks out of the water.

I added the sand to it, forgot it would displace water and lost 5-6 on the garage closet floor lol. So you better than me this weekend lol.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore the mess. Here is the test fit of the shades on the lights on the 12 footer.

I like the look but, I have to redo all of them because I forgot to allow a slot to get to the controls. DOH!

Anyhow, I was thinking about going with white shades and brackets. What do you guys think?

I could always print one in white and see. The only thing is the control panel would still be black.

smatfarmtestfitalllights.jpg

Also there is a shadow line. The shades don't have that dark bar across the front.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore the mess. Here is the test fit of the shades on the lights on the 12 footer.

I like the look but, I have to redo all of them because I forgot to allow a slot to get to the controls. DOH!

Anyhow, I was thinking about going with white shades and brackets. What do you guys think?

I could always print one in white and see. The only thing is the control panel would still be black.

smatfarmtestfitalllights.jpg

Also there is a shadow line. The shades don't have that dark bar across the front.
I like them black. Can you not dremel out a small window for the controls? save you from having to print again.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a slot that is 16mm x 162mm. I could dremel it but it wouldn't look as clean as me just printing them again. Besides, I just got a few free rolls of filament from a company to test them and two rolls are black. ;)

I decided to stay with black so I am printing the first one and will test it when done.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 187 will be FOWLR so not a lot of light needed. Going to use two a160we above it. But, I had to have the light rack match so.....

187lightrack.jpg

The light rack is level, the tank stand is not. The 75 is sitting there so it's not on the floor to get broken.

It am going to have fun leveling this one. It's off in both directions. Who ever poured this floor should be smacked!

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 187 will be FOWLR so not a lot of light needed. Going to use two a160we above it. But, I had to have the light rack match so.....

187lightrack.jpg

The light rack is level, the tank stand is not. The 75 is sitting there so it's not on the floor to get broken.

It am going to have fun leveling this one. It's off in both directions. Who ever poured this floor should be smacked!
Weren't you pitching the floor towards the floor drain? There fixed the floor issues for you! ;)

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
draining the discus tank and getting ready to set it up.

I assembled the canister filter and picked up 3 bags of black diamond medium grit.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
draining the discus tank and getting ready to set it up.

I assembled the canister filter and picked up 3 bags of black diamond medium grit.
Ohh no!!!

The not sand stuff that will wreck your tank!!!!!!

See it does stuff. Like make macros pop lol.

CF73AE40-5D7F-4758-8E69-6045EBCECE36.jpeg
138838DC-77A0-4231-AC77-6B5F83AF54BB.jpeg
051D3290-ABDF-4B35-BEB3-7F1066520B11.jpeg
E86DE0E1-834D-49EF-96C5-C7292EA12E04.jpeg
D6DB398D-016F-436B-9607-7CED46091E9C.jpeg
F4320752-E5A0-4F98-9F6B-C471FA4DC0A0.jpeg
4954E7B5-0E7B-478D-9013-96C29A3D1EED.jpeg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using it in planted tanks since 2010. Everyone back then said it would kill everything.

It grow plants like mad.

Now, there are a bunch of "experts" that "discovered" it on youtube saying they are the one that came up with it. LOL!

I am not the originator either. I got the idea from a guy in Nashville at a planted aquarium shop that is long gone.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using it in planted tanks since 2010. Everyone back then said it would kill everything.

It grow plants like mad.

Now, there are a bunch of "experts" that "discovered" it on youtube saying they are the one that came up with it. LOL!

I am not the originator either. I got the idea from a guy in Nashville at a planted aquarium shop that is long gone.
And he got the idea from my dad and his friends more than likely lol. Dad has been using coal slag in tanks for over 50 years. Reef tanks for at least 40.

The reason it grows things well is that it is round beads (so to speak) and not something that can pack together. This allows nutrients, via water flow, to easily reach the roots. That alone makes it awesome. No need to bury fertilizer pellets for fw planted tanks. Same applies for macro tanks and even reef tanks. The amount of critters in the “black not sand” is crazy in my sump and was super crazy in the macro tank.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And he got the idea from my dad and his friends more than likely lol. Dad has been using coal slag in tanks for over 50 years. Reef tanks for at least 40.

The reason it grows things well is that it is round beads (so to speak) and not something that can pack together. This allows nutrients, via water flow, to easily reach the roots. That alone makes it awesome. No need to bury fertilizer pellets for fw planted tanks. Same applies for macro tanks and even reef tanks. The amount of critters in the “black not sand” is crazy in my sump and was super crazy in the macro tank.
Well, maybe not my dad and his friends, but try arguing with 10-12 retired career marines about who started using what and when lol.

Back