Fish building/man cave build!

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know if you need help. I can pm my number and we can discuss. I have been teaching/helping a few people get going and get over the learning curve hump lately. I love it!

Suction mounts and I have a love/hate relationship. But, with 3/4" glass and needing so many low powered pumps, it's a necessary evil unless I want to spend $$$$
That be great! Trial and error gets old quickly.

3/4 inch glass would take a serious magnet.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That be great! Trial and error gets old quickly.

3/4 inch glass would take a serious magnet.

Even the two tunze I have in there now don't really hold that well.

I am thinking about casting some large rare earth magnets in acrylic and trying them.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any experience with these?

I've got them on a frag rack, and haven't seen any problems. There are stronger ones out there though.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years I have put the temp probe to titanium heaters in the tank and the heater element in the sump.

The current tank is too tall for that. So I am wondering: Do you guys put the probe before the heater element in the sump or after? My sump has 5 compartments. Drain/Socks/skimmer/fuge/return in that order.

My thought is before so the water will be at it's coldest where it's measured. That way, I can run it about a degree cooler so it doesn't overheat the whole thing and put a digital thermometer in the tank to keep an eye on it.

I appreciate any input.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For years I have put the temp probe to titanium heaters in the tank and the heater element in the sump.

The current tank is too tall for that. So I am wondering: Do you guys put the probe before the heater element in the sump or after? My sump has 5 compartments. Drain/Socks/skimmer/fuge/return in that order.

My thought is before so the water will be at it's coldest where it's measured. That way, I can run it about a degree cooler so it doesn't overheat the whole thing and put a digital thermometer in the tank to keep an eye on it.

I appreciate any input.
Put the probe in the tank since that is the most stable reservoir for temperature. Just a thought. Seems like this is how I did it with multi systems back in the day. Been a while so I could be wrong.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the probe in the tank since that is the most stable reservoir for temperature. Just a thought. Seems like this is how I did it with multi systems back in the day. Been a while so I could be wrong.

That's how I want to but the cord for the probe is not long enough. It's really weird built on these two heaters.

For now, I have it in the compartment before the heater that I am running. I will see how this does.

I will, however be adding the second heater when I switch the 12 footer over to the sump and will put that probe after the element I guess.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 187 is up to temp and salinity. Going to let it run until tonight. I have one tiny leak (about one drop every 30 seconds) that I need a bigger pair of pliers to fix.

(It looks like i am the first inhabitant in the pic)

187running.jpg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock and the fish are in!

I never thought this day would come. Except for plumbing the 12 footer, vinyl siding and finishing my workbench, the room is done!

I cannot thank everyone enough for following along, encouraging me and helping where you could.

I will keep posting because there is more to do and the tanks will fill in and mature into something amazing.

Keep following!

fishin187.jpg

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer fits! Sort of...

regalinsump.jpg

The lid doesn't quite fit. I am thinking about taking a router and making one side of the lid thinner to fit. It misses by less than 1/8"

Any thoughts on doing this?

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lowell Lemon Do you think it would be ok to machine the lid down by an 1/8" just on side of it so it fits?

I was going to expose a 3/4" router bit in the table 1/16" make a pass, move the fence back 1/4" make a pass....
Then, raise to 1/8" and repeat. This would make a rabbet in the top 1/8"deep and about 3" of the lid wide.

Tell me I am not nuts for trying this. :)

The other possibility is to remove the skimmer, cover the sump and notch the 2x6. I don't think it will effect the structural integrity but, it'll scare the $%^& out of the fish!

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now, I have it in the compartment before the heater that I am running. I will see how this does.

I will, however be adding the second heater when I switch the 12 footer over to the sump and will put that probe after the element I guess.

If you can't put the heat sensor in the tank then I would put in the first main drain section, closest to the display?

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured out the skimmer lid. I am going to slightly notch the 2x6 so I don't tear up the skimmer lid. My buddy came over to help plumb the 12 footer and he agrees that's the best course of action.

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
12 foot tank is plumbed and curing over night.

I got the mangrove/fuge tank setup with miracle mud and aragonite. It's soaking now and will wait to turn it on until tomorrow.

I decided to swap out the kessils on the 187 to the last two smatfarm lights and am printing shades right now.

I am about to tidy up some wiring, sweep the floor and put the rugs down. I may go to storage tomorrow and get my chairs. :)

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer fits! Sort of...

regalinsump.jpg

The lid doesn't quite fit. I am thinking about taking a router and making one side of the lid thinner to fit. It misses by less than 1/8"

Any thoughts on doing this?
I ran into the same issue with not having enough space in the compartment as am running the same skimmer as well! Holy crap our entire sump area is the same :) I couldn't figure out how to fit it into the sump. I figured I was going to have to drill a hole in the wall and have the pump on one side and the skimmer body on the other.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back