Fish Disease Index - Pictorial Guide

ltrace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the QT process after already having fish in my DT. Have not seen any problems with any of the fish but it's not to say there isn't any. Fish looks healthy but that could be deceiving. I want to add new fish but I am concern with adding fish that has been thru the QT process become ill after being put in the DT. Is there a way to test the DT and it's fish inhabitants to see there is any hidden illnesses before adding fish from the QT process? Like I mention earlier I'm starting the QT after having fish in the DT already and the fish in the DT seems healthy.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the QT process after already having fish in my DT. Have not seen any problems with any of the fish but it's not to say there isn't any. Fish looks healthy but that could be deceiving. I want to add new fish but I am concern with adding fish that has been thru the QT process become ill after being put in the DT. Is there a way to test the DT and it's fish inhabitants to see there is any hidden illnesses before adding fish from the QT process? Like I mention earlier I'm starting the QT after having fish in the DT already and the fish in the DT seems healthy.

Yes actually! Purchase a black molly. You'll have to convert it over to saltwater on your own. -> very important that it's not already in saltwater. Put the black molly in your display and watch closely. The idea is that the molly will never have been exposed to saltwater parasites or diseases and be the most vulnerable to them. The black color makes any spots or other issues easier to see. :)

Orcus Varuna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes actually! Purchase a black molly. You'll have to convert it over to saltwater on your own. -> very important that it's not already in saltwater. Put the black molly in your display and watch closely. The idea is that the molly will never have been exposed to saltwater parasites or diseases and be the most vulnerable to them. The black color makes any spots or other issues easier to see. :)

I didn't think anyone else actually did this! People always look at me like I have 10 heads when I toss a molly into a tank recovering from pests [emoji23]

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think anyone else actually did this! People always look at me like I have 10 heads when I toss a molly into a tank recovering from pests [emoji23]

Nah.. not me and a good portion of other people on R2R either! It's smart :)

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up!
Now my new lattice bf seems to have lymphocytes on his right pectoral...I know that its not too dangerous...he's eating fine and behaving fine...anything to be done about it...?I know that I commented above, but now that I have it...I'm worried...thanks...

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lymphocystis is, IIRC, a viral disease. Like herpes, there's no "cure", and it will come and go. (In fact, it's pretty commonly referred to as "fish herpes".)

Wonderful water and terrific, well-rounded nutrition should help to tame it down and keep it at bay, though.

~Bruce

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now my new lattice bf seems to have lymphocytes on his right pectoral...I know that its not too dangerous...he's eating fine and behaving fine...anything to be done about it...?I know that I commented above, but now that I have it...I'm worried...thanks...
Maritimer already answered, so I'll just say that I agree with that completely. Pristine water, low stress, healthy food and time.
Absolutely amazingly awesome. I wish I could bookmark this!!!
Why not? Go right on ahead sweetie :)

Gabaghoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my 15 year old clown may have what you refer to in this thread as Rectal Prolapse. Is there a treatment, preferably a dip, for this? She's in my frag tank now. On hand, I have a number of meds - Kanaplex, MetroPlex, Coppersafe, Formalin, RubyReef Rally, Furan-2 and Methelyne Blue. You think any will work? She wont eat and she swims lethargically. Kind of floats without too
much control. Couple of bad pics below. Sorry about that.

Thanks.

IMG_3037.JPG
IMG_3049.JPG

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my 15 year old clown may have what you refer to in this thread as Rectal Prolapse. Is there a treatment, preferably a dip, for this? She's in my frag tank now. On hand, I have a number of meds - Kanaplex, MetroPlex, Coppersafe, Formalin, RubyReef Rally, Furan-2 and Methelyne Blue. You think any will work? She wont eat and she swims lethargically. Kind of floats without too
much control. Couple of bad pics below. Sorry about that.

Thanks.

IMG_3037.JPG
IMG_3049.JPG

You could try a ruby reef rally dip but that would be mainly to prevent infection. This is mostly a problem that either corrects itself, or doesn't. Feed vitamins in the food to help boost the immune system. If you have a QT you can place her in there and treat with kanaplex as well, but again, it either fixes itself or it doesn't.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had this guy? Wondering whether he's fresh from the ocean . . .

I tend to suspect that he's got some kind of parasite, which now wants to reach open water - but it could be a dozen other things as well, such as an internal infection. I'm hoping that @melypr1985, @Humblefish or @ngoodermuth will have seen and successfully dealt with such a thing before.

In any case, I suspect you'll want a quarantine tank, and should probably have a broad-spectrum of antibiotic on hand, in case any infection sets in. Many folks have had success with Furan-2, Kanaplex and Metroplex in combination, but I've also heard very encouraging things about Nitrofuracin Green all by itself.

~Bruce

Back