Fish dropping dead like flies!!!

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need your help Reef2Reef crew! In my 55 gallon mixed reef I've lost 3 fish this week. Parameters are Po4 undetectable/trace, nitrates undetectable/trace, Alk 10, Calcium 460. The symptoms are as follows: This is on different days, I'd feed the tank and the fish would eat. First time, Bangaii eats food and within seconds spazzes out hardcore, starts swimming erratically all over and then completely stiffens/ seizes up and stops breathing, then 20 or so seconds later maybe starts breathing, then dies within a few hours- Exact same thing happened with 2 scissortail dart fish.

I have NO IDEA what is happening, and I do not want to lose anymore fish.
Please let me know what you think, or if you've had same experiences. Thank you so much

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need your help Reef2Reef crew! In my 55 gallon mixed reef I've lost 3 fish this week. Parameters are Po4 undetectable/trace, nitrates undetectable/trace, Alk 10, Calcium 460. The symptoms are as follows: This is on different days, I'd feed the tank and the fish would eat. First time, Bangaii eats food and within seconds spazzes out hardcore, starts swimming erratically all over and then completely stiffens/ seizes up and stops breathing, then 20 or so seconds later maybe starts breathing, then dies within a few hours- Exact same thing happened with 2 scissortail dart fish.

I have NO IDEA what is happening, and I do not want to lose anymore fish.
Please let me know what you think, or if you've had same experiences. Thank you so much
What food are you using?

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What food are you using?
I use all different ones, Hikari pellets, omega one seaweed flakes "threw out too old", multiple frozen hikaris, rods food, San Francisco bay brand, ocean nutrition. This happened on multiple days with different foods used each day/time

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any white dots/speckles, heavy breathing, or fish swimming into flow? If you have multiple fish deaths then a parasite such as velvet should be considered.

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank water?
Tap water, but I've had that tested before and it's safe, as for how long I've had the fish, the bangaiis almost 2 years, and the dart fish probably 6 to 8 months roughly

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any white dots/speckles, heavy breathing, or fish swimming into flow? If you have multiple fish deaths then a parasite such as velvet should be considered.
Nothing, absolutely nothing, perfectly smooth, completely intact. No fin damage, no spots or bumps or discoloration etc. I've looked at them with my face almost smashed against the glass since this started happening just to be absolutely sure lol

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use all different ones, Hikari pellets, omega one seaweed flakes "threw out too old", multiple frozen hikaris, rods food, San Francisco bay brand, ocean nutrition. This happened on multiple days with different foods used each day/time
Any possible connection between the type of foods? Has it been frozen every time? Or dried every time?

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any possible connection between the type of foods? Has it been frozen every time? Or dried every time?
Was hoping there'd be something in common but no, it's been dried the first time and the second time I don't remember and then this last time was frozen food

Josh Kraft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for this, but I couldn't get this out of my mind. I would swap to tank water for thawing out your food. I bet it is some kind of parasite or bacterial infection. Have you added anything recently? Have you noticed the fish rubbing against rocks?

ZfJPTRJOCMyS.gif

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be something in the water. I know my water company used to send out notices occasionally when they added extra chlorine or chemicals to the city water to clean the pipes. I would use tank water to mix the food and see if this stops. As long as this is food you've been using for awhile if it's new, could be contaminated with something.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for this, but I couldn't get this out of my mind. I would swap to tank water for thawing out your food. I bet it is some kind of parasite or bacterial infection. Have you added anything recently? Have you noticed the fish rubbing against rocks?

ZfJPTRJOCMyS.gif
this is hilarious!!!

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap water, but I've had that tested before and it's safe, as for how long I've had the fish, the bangaiis almost 2 years, and the dart fish probably 6 to 8 months roughly

Your tap water may have changed since it was last tested. I would use tank water to thaw your food.

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ZfJPTRJOCMyS.gif
Lol. Nope, haven't added any fish in at least 5 months probably, and I added some coral last week but dipped them and rinsed them so Idk

OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt food is killing your fish. My guess is an oxygen issue?
I have a hang on back filter which helps water movement, and two power heads, one of which is pointed towards the surface for better oxygenation, as well as a screen top.. I don't know

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back