Help me figure out why im losing fish in qt

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been qting fish for awhile now but this is the first time i lost any and dont know why. I suspect uroma but looking for opinions. Before i get into it, ammonia is being monitored and water is very oxygenated.

So i bought 3 pyramid butterflies from live aquaria then 2 from a lfs a week later. One from liveaquaria came with popeye, i waited 2 weeks to see if itd go away on its own but it didnt. All the others were looking great, no signs of ich or velvet, eating, and even the one with popeye was eating and seemed otherwise healthy. So i started treating with maracyn 1 for the popeye as per directions. Once the 3rd day was over i did a 50% water change then 25% the day after. By the 2nd day after treatment they started dying 1 by 1. It seemed the maracyn set off whatever this was but it could also be a coincidence.

Symptoms in order:
Bubbles sticking to slime coat is the first sign, then cloudy eyes, cloudy slime coat, refuses to eat, loss of scales (possibly due to flashing but i never saw any) heavy beathing then dies within 24hr of first signs. None died at the same time. Always 1 after the other each day.

The 4th died today, i started copper treatment 3 days ago cause im not sure what else to treat with and it didnt seem i have time to try anything else. i thought that with how quick the deaths were it might be velvet but they didnt have the traditional spots. i just hit therapeutic levels with copper today. Praying for the last one who seems healthy so far.

Also there are 2 mono arganthus in the same tank that seem unaffected.

Heres a picture of the last one that passed to possibly help id.
20211109_211913.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the species involved, my first concern would be Neobenedenia flukes - they get these very often.

Have you given the fish any FW dips, or treated them with Prazipro?

Jay

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not aware that they were commonly affected by flukes. I have not tried a fw dip or prazi. But i will with the last one. The one with popeye died first and the last one isn't showing any symptoms yet.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was not aware that they were commonly affected by flukes. I have not tried a fw dip or prazi. But i will with the last one. The one with popeye died first and the last one isn't showing any symptoms yet.
if you can get it to another QT tank i would recommend doing so, it could save it

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update, i did a 50% water change and ran cuprisorb for a day to get the copper out and then treated for prazi. The last one did start showing some cloudy eyes prior to prazi but today it looks much better already. Fingers crossed, but it looks promising. Thank you guys for the advice. I think im going to make prazi my first step in qt now before copper.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back