Still struggling hard to keep fish.

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys.. I made a similar post about a month ago. In my reef tank invertebrates live fine, my blood shrimp keeps eating like a pig.. I do also have a ricordea florida an acan and a styllophora which all are doing great. During the past 2 months any new fish I added has been dead within a few days. The symptoms usually are: The fish is extremely healthy and active and eats normally. I then see the fish hiding for some unknown reason for a day or two. Then the fish starts breathing fast, when I see this symptom I know that the fish will be a gonner within the next few hours.
I am at the point of giving up, I currently have no fish left and I am not planning to add any more for at least 2-3 months, there is something extremely deadly in my aquarium. I have spent the last month reading countless of posts on fish disease but I just can't figure it out. The fish show no sign of white spots. They are healthy and eat out of my hand, then if they start breathing heavily, within 12 hours they are dead, always. My oxygen levels are in check both at the bottom and at the top, I have measured them carefully many many times using the salifert kit. salinity, ammonia, nitrate, pH, kH, magnesium, calcium, phosphate are all in check as well. The fish you see below was an extremely active flasher wrasse, it swam all day in the open and begged for food whenever I happened to pass by the tank. Yesterday he was eating out of my hand, this morning I saw him breathing rapidly, when the lights went out he laid on the sandbed breathing heavily, I proceeded to copper treat him but right when I took him out of the water to freshwater dip him he died in my hands.
I am currently in the process of cycling a qt tank. Not going to be adding any new fish any time soon. Here are some pictures of my flasher wrasse, I hope that somebody with much more experience in fish disease could help me identify what the heck I am fighting right here and guide me on what to do. I have never experienced anything like this and I have been in the hoby for around 9 years. The photos were taken right when he died, note that the exact same symptons are shown prior to every fish death, apart from one of my fish jumping out through an extremely small gap.

(It would not let me directly post the pictures so I added them as attatched files)

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure I am seeing the files somewhere.. Trying to reupload the pictures of the fish, hope this helps.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try taking screenshot of your picture then share screenshot .
I'm also having problems sharing my pictures ^_^

And yeah sounds like some fast killing diesese in your tank, you ruled out 02,how about faulty equipment but saying that inverts,corals surviving so from my reading usually points to fish diesese/ parasites if inverts are OK and fish aren't.
I'm no diesese expert so good luck

Just tried adding picture and screenshot but only screenshot loaded

Screenshot_20220221-001424_Gallery.jpg

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get your water? Have you checked for stray voltage with a multimeter? If it were me, I would let the tank go fallow and treat your new fish according to Jay Hemdal's quarantine procedures. That will definitely eliminate any bugs.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever go fallow between additions? No fish for 45 days at 82 degrees? Fast breathing and light sensitivity can be velvet which kills fast.

OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you get your water? Have you checked for stray voltage with a multimeter? If it were me, I would let the tank go fallow and treat your new fish according to Jay Hemdal's quarantine procedures. That will definitely eliminate any bugs.

My water is RODI and I use the tropic marine salt. I have not checked for stray voltage yet, I have tried to zap myself but I have not managed to (yes a bit of a stupid move but I do not have a voltometer laying around. Tommorow I will try to get one.. I will try to check any possible culprit)... All of the equipment is less than 6 months old.. The heater even is a few weeks old.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stelioshah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever go fallow between additions? No fish for 45 days at 82 degrees? Fast breathing and light sensitivity can be velvet which kills fast.
No I have not done that yet because I had a hardy clown goby which lived for 2 months. I will be doing that now since I have no fish left in the tank and see where it gets me... I thought of velvet and read tons of posts on it. As you can see at the images the gills of the fish are blood red. I don't know if this is normal or not. If it was velvet I would at least expect a few white marks, but nevertheless I do agree that it probably is velvet based on what I have read...

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like velvet. A multimeter at Walmart costs $15. Make sure you also have a ground probe in your tank and it is hooked up to a GFCI outlet. You can get a corded one (as opposed to in the socket) at Lowes or Home Depot.

The age of the equipment is n/a. My Finnex controller temp probe was bad and it was less than six months old. I only knew I had a problem because my grounding probe had fallen out of my tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I uploaded them on imgur here you go..:

Those gills are pretty pale for a freshly dead fish. I suspect a gill parasite such as velvet.
Jay

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 74 52.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back