Fish dying in Quarantine ID?

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1594.JPG
I am quarantining and had a number of losses . 5 Chromis and 3 fire fish died in the last week.
They all develop these red areas and are dead the next day
All eating well
No meds dosed
10 gallon Aqueon with standard lid and lights Never used before
HOB filter
PVC pipe
Small UV sterilizer
Ammonia 0
SG 1.025
Temp 78
Need some help.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a classic case of uronema marinum, also known as chromis disease. See image below/not my image.

chromis.jpg

The treatment used to be Flagyl but that may have changed.

OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a classic case of uronema marinum, also known as chromis disease. See image below/not my image.

chromis.jpg

The treatment used to Flagyl but that may have changed.
Thanks will look into it
I have never lost fish in Quarantine to this degree and thinking that I am probably buying diseased fish.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's a terrifying disease. Free swimming and can survive without a host? Yeesh!

Good luck with your treatment. I'm going through some disease eradication in QT myself and it is really disheartening. I lost one of the fish. You've got great resources here to give your fish a fighting chance. Metroplex and Rally (Acriflavin-MS) are both readily available at most LFS, in my experience, and are not very expensive.

OP
OP
Zoaeasy

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that's a terrifying disease. Free swimming and can survive without a host? Yeesh!

Good luck with your treatment. I'm going through some disease eradication in QT myself and it is really disheartening. I lost one of the fish. You've got great resources here to give your fish a fighting chance. Metroplex and Rally (Acriflavin-MS) are both readily available at most LFS, in my experience, and are not very expensive.
Yep I am going to tear down this tank and sterilize everything and seperate the surviving Chromis .

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I am going to tear down this tank and sterilize everything and seperate the surviving Chromis .

I've had good luck at the store keeping our chromis in the copper system. I use coppersafe at 2ppm and we have seen much less loss from uronema. It still happens, but the copper seems to either slow it down, or actually cure a majority of the chromis - not all- but it's a better survival rate than when we kept them in a system without copper.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back