OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay, any idea why my snails and hermits are very lethargic now. Did another water change today and checked everything but magnesium and everything is within recommended parameters. Have a moderate case of diatoms or possibly dinos on sand and 50% of the rocks. Only thing added to the tank was a cupful of prime 3 days ago when first fish died. Didn't know if I was going to get an ammonia spike. Snails and hermits sitting still for over 24 hours. Other shrimp still moving around somewhat.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay, any idea why my snails and hermits are very lethargic now. Did another water change today and checked everything but magnesium and everything is within recommended parameters. Have a moderate case of diatoms or possibly dinos on sand and 50% of the rocks. Only thing added to the tank was a cupful of prime 3 days ago when first fish died. Didn't know if I was going to get an ammonia spike. Snails and hermits sitting still for over 24 hours. Other shrimp still moving around somewhat.
Sorry - I reread the thread and I can't find any hints as to why the inverts are acting odd. One thing though - you said you added a cup of Prime, you meant a capful, right?

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes small cap only like 5ml
Sorry to hear all of this - have been away a couple days. Unfortunately - if you added prime that can also cause elevated ammonia tests to persist - did you add it just 'becasue' - or did you have a high level?

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear all of this - have been away a couple days. Unfortunately - if you added prime that can also cause elevated ammonia tests to persist - did you add it just 'becasue' - or did you have a high level?

I had multiple fish dying and some not being located in the tank. Inverts were very lethargic to and corals not happy at all. I didn't trust my 0 ammonia tests and figured a spike was imminent so added a capful. Clown disappeared last night and I cant find the body at all today. Perhaps the crew got him not sure but I worry about ammonia spikes now as the last 2 fish pass also.

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no where near jay's level and you have him on the case, so i would trust anything he gives you.

I will put my 2 cents in.

You did not mention whether you have a skimmer running. I would assume you do. If there is bacteria growing it could easily be that it is taking oxygen from the water. Even if fish are not breathing heavily it could still be oxygen depletion. it can not hurt you to put an air stone in the tank and make sure you have lots of surface agitation.

I had a bacteria bloom kill an entire tank of fish once and didn't even realize it was happening. I searched for reasons until it was to late. It's nothing to add more air to the tank and if your going to medicate it's a requirement.

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay,

Correct me PLEASE if I am wrong.

In an extreme emergency Hydrogen Peroxide will split to oxygen and hydrogen in saltwater with few harmful side effects to fish, inverts or most coral. It will temporally raise ORP and the oxygen saturation in the water.

PLEASE DON'T DOSE THIS until it is confirmed by someone that is much more of an expert than I am.

There are threads out there about dosing Hydrogen Peroxide for algae and bacteria issues.

Please proceed with caution.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no where near jay's level and you have him on the case, so i would trust anything he gives you.

I will put my 2 cents in.

You did not mention whether you have a skimmer running. I would assume you do. If there is bacteria growing it could easily be that it is taking oxygen from the water. Even if fish are not breathing heavily it could still be oxygen depletion. it can not hurt you to put an air stone in the tank and make sure you have lots of surface agitation.

I had a bacteria bloom kill an entire tank of fish once and didn't even realize it was happening. I searched for reasons until it was to late. It's nothing to add more air to the tank and if your going to medicate it's a requirement.

Yes, oversized skimmer running and I have been looking for signs of 02 deprivation due to a moderate diatom situation. The 2 fish left have not been surfacing but multiple snails are sitting at the water surface. I do have good water agitation on the surface and the return is at 800gph now through the sump but there is definitely lethargic inverts now in the tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had multiple fish dying and some not being located in the tank. Inverts were very lethargic to and corals not happy at all. I didn't trust my 0 ammonia tests and figured a spike was imminent so added a capful. Clown disappeared last night and I cant find the body at all today. Perhaps the crew got him not sure but I worry about ammonia spikes now as the last 2 fish pass also.
Curious - did you ever take anyone's advice and treat them for disease?

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - did you ever take anyone's advice and treat them for disease?

I have a small qt set up now that can hold 2 fish and I only have 2 fish left that I have spent hours trying to catch. The little wrasses are hard to get even though they seem to be in decline not eating. Most other fish died within a 48 hour time period and I had no qt available.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a small qt set up now that can hold 2 fish and I only have 2 fish left that I have spent hours trying to catch. The little wrasses are hard to get even though they seem to be in decline not eating. Most other fish died within a 48 hour time period and I had no qt available.
Try a fish-trap. that should help. This might seem harsh - but the rest of your fish should have been treated days ago - (including the ones now). I'm not trying to be mean - only a teaching moment. If an animal has a disease - treat it - don't wait

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay,

Correct me PLEASE if I am wrong.

In an extreme emergency Hydrogen Peroxide will split to oxygen and hydrogen in saltwater with few harmful side effects to fish, inverts or most coral. It will temporally raise ORP and the oxygen saturation in the water.

PLEASE DON'T DOSE THIS until it is confirmed by someone that is much more of an expert than I am.

There are threads out there about dosing Hydrogen Peroxide for algae and bacteria issues.

Please proceed with caution.
I recently did some bench testing with H2O2. I didn't have a chance to treat any sick fish with it. The best treatments seems to be when you use it as a dip. In aquariums, it breaks down at an unknown rate.

Jay

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a fish-trap. that should help. This might seem harsh - but the rest of your fish should have been treated days ago - (including the ones now). I'm not trying to be mean - only a teaching moment. If an animal has a disease - treat it - don't wait

I agree with you but I paid a high premium to have the fish professionally QT so I have no back up QT set up nor did I get a definitive diagnosis other then from the best guess from experts here which I sincerely appreciated. In a span of several days I lost most of my fish. I'm extremely bothered by it and have a cheap 5g QT available now if and when I can catch the 2 remaining fish. I looked online to try and find a professional service to that would respond to my house and help me treat the tank so I wouldn't lose fish. Having my 11 year old call me while I'm out of town and tell me fish are dying as she is crying is not something I needed to hear.

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you but I paid a high premium to have the fish professionally QT so I have no back up QT set up nor did I get a definitive diagnosis other then from the best guess from experts here which I sincerely appreciated. In a span of several days I lost most of my fish. I'm extremely bothered by it and have a cheap 5g QT available now if and when I can catch the 2 remaining fish. I looked online to try and find a professional service to that would respond to my house and help me treat the tank so I wouldn't lose fish. Having my 11 year old call me while I'm out of town and tell me fish are dying as she is crying is not something I needed to hear.
If you were anywhere in southern california I would have gone to help.

innovusaquaculture

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Sir I'm in Rancho Cucamonga nd will keep you on speed dial but hope I never have to make the call for an emergency like the one that happened.
Feel free to call any time I will help! I have a dozen QT tanks set up and running full time and could take fish at a moments notice if needed. Most of the time I have a few tanks free just in case. I keep most every medication on hand.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 57 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 63 54.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 26 22.6%
  • None.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.8%
Back