Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a horizontal perforated disc that won't allow you to clean below

proteinskimmer.jpg
My eshopps has a similar design where you can't clean inside the bubble plate. I ran my skimmer in a water/citric acid mix and it cleaned it right up.

But as for cleaning the body of the skimmer, I clean mine once a year or whenever I clean the pump for it. There shouldn't be a "break in" time like when it's brand new and keeps overflowing. You may have to adjust the skimmer a little bit as the biofilm builds back up on the surfaces.

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that stinks! Where's the Industrial Designers on this skimmer? I'm assuming the only access is through the pump hole where it looks like a union? If so, a wire wrapped around a piece of towel that will snugly fit through that hole, and the wire is thick enough (rigid enough) for you to push around that center cylinder, but also flexible enough to bend around the cylinder. It will at least clean the outer portion of that lower section. The inside part of that cylinder below the bubble plate would need to be chemically cleaned. I'll say it, POOR DESIGN!

I would imagine the majority of stuff that needs to be cleaned below that bubble plate is some type of biological slime. A mild solution of beach would be my choice.

Thank you Paul! Yes, it is a poor design. I have read many complaining about different skimmer manufactures and how their skimmer are noisy. This skimmer runs quietly.

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent yesterday working on my stand. Been waiting assistance from my husband to help me with the installation of panels and doors. Didn’t know how to use the tool to help me install a self closing concealed cabinet hinge. Didn’t want to mess with his tools without assistance. He said cabinet work is winter activity and would help me. Since he hasn’t helped me yet I decided to do it on my own. I’ve been waiting since Jan 2021. Decided to go a different route and just store the hinges that I bought. I installed the side panels and used soft closing drawer glides for the doors instead. I’ll be working this week on my control panel which will be on the left side panel area. I now noticed that panels have made it dark underneath and I will need to install some type of lights under there.

6EE97C57-0581-4558-9182-187C6854536C.jpeg

ED2C8CD1-DD78-4307-9F5E-110028581CC4.jpeg

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The color on the Peach Giant and Rainbow milli did not show up looking like it is pictured. They came in looking solid green and still are. I thought maybe it's my T5, so I turned them off. I added in my Ophek Blue plus strip but that didn't do anything. Got out the NP lights and there was no improvement on the colors.

this is the Peach Giant.

6E39E702-FC85-4E67-AE4A-67C4D8F5DA85.jpeg C4E0B616-3DB6-4195-971F-15990E507A1A.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I have a question for you all to answer. I have vermiculate divided leopard wrasse and a radiant wrasse being delivered from TSM on Friday. I have Special Grade sand. Is that too coarse for them or do I need to add Fiji Pink sand?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay I have a question for you all to answer. I have vermiculate divided leopard wrasse and a radiant wrasse being delivered from TSM on Friday. I have Special Grade sand. Is that too coarse for them or do I need to add Fiji Pink sand?
My wrasse has 2 options. Special grade on the right of the tank or fine sand on the left side. He sleeps on the left side. But, they can burrow in the special, depending on their size. Smaller ones I would offer finer sand

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put them in an observation tank, put a container of the special grade in the bottom and see if the can borrow or not.

If yes, you're good. If not, going to need some finer sand.

I know TSM quarantines fish, but setting up a 10 or 20g tank for a week would go a long way in making this easier. If you add the fish, and they can't burrow, you'll be stressing all the fish out by going in and adding sand

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I don't have an answer about the sand, and I am extremely limited on my knowledge of wrasse. However, I can't wait to see them when they arrive!
*I totally would have gone down and picked them up for you haha*
Post pics when you get them!

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I setup a dosing pump two nights ago. Wow I enjoyed not having to dose by hand for the first time in 20 years. Now if they created a device to automatically test the water for Kh, Ca, No3, Po4 and No3 I would be happy. I seem to always put off testing until late at night. I get tired and don't want to move....guess it's a part of aging:eek:

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I setup a dosing pump two nights ago. Wow I enjoyed not having to dose by hand for the first time in 20 years. Now if they created a device to automatically test the water for Kh, Ca, No3, Po4 and No3 I would be happy. I seem to always put off testing until late at night. I get tired and don't want to move....guess it's a part of aging:eek:
I wish there was an auto test for them as well. I used to test every 3 days religiously. Tanks are on more of auto pilot, but I'm feeling like I need to do once a week minimum. What doser did ya set up?

OP
OP
fishface NJ

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was an auto test for them as well. I used to test every 3 days religiously. Tanks are on more of auto pilot, but I'm feeling like I need to do once a week minimum. What doser did ya set up?
The Versa. Only one head and I'll add two more down the road. I am using All For Reef but I need to add Kh once a week to get my Kh where it should be

I got the Versa back in July of 2021. It took me this long to setup because I had enjoyed testing. Your energy as you get older sucks. I gave in and set it up. I'm wish I did it sooner!

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed on the testing. Some company could make a fortune if they came up with auto testing of Kh, Ca, PO4 & NO3!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back