Fish Feeding: Slow and Steady Wins the RACE or does it matter?

Fish Feeding: Slow and Steady Wins the RACE or does it matter?

• Yes it's better to feed your fish slowly and methodically

Votes: 155 30.9%
  • No it's better to just drop it in so the fish have to work for it

Votes: 106 21.2%
  • It doesn't matter either way

Votes: 218 43.5%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 22 4.4%

• Total voters

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only feed small portions once a day in the morning. I was feeding frozen with pumps on but so much got missed. I started thawing, rinsing, and feeding with them off, but there was still so much that wound up not being eaten. I just switched to flakes and I cut the pumps, drop in the flakes, pull the skimmer cup and drain it, measure out two part, and by the time I’m back with the empty cup and doses the food is gone. No waste. I don’t think feeding like this matters so much for the fish, but I think it’s gonna make a difference in nutrient levels an nuisances in my tank.

Phyber

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted "other" because I really don't feed fast or slow & methodically. My fish get fed pellets twice a day via feeders. I use Hikari Marine S & Seaweed Extreme with a splash of Reefroids. (Seaweed Extreme for Fox & Rabbitfish) Then on weekends they get Sunday brunch when I feed my nems - they get either cut up frozen shrimp or littleneck clams (Thanks Paul B!) & fox & rabbitfish get nori on a clip. The fish get some of the excess "meaty stuff". Anything more than that I get an algae problem. Corals get daily Reefroids broadcast fed by feeders, CoralAmino via ATOs and I'm currently trying dosing EasySPS from CoralVue for my SPS.I've been only dosing EasySPS for a couple of days and it's too early to tell the results, but CoralAmino in the ATOs has greatly improved my LPS & softies.

How do you dose the aminos in your ato, as in amount? My 65g tank calls for two droppers full (daily I guess, or is it weekly?). Do you do that amount in the ato?

I'm looking to streamline my tasks.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose slowly and methodically for the methodical part. I've always monitored my feeding to insure I don't overfeed too much. I've never had occasion to spot feed fish though.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At feeding time, both of my tanks via Apex go into low speed lagoon mode for 30 minutes. This way all food including Reefroids gets distributed around the tank.
This is an interesting discussion - if I slow down my flow - or would use an automatic feeder - my food would float on the surface of the water - and be sucked into the overflow. Thus - 2 x per day - I feed mine by hand.

Last edited:

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a large part of reefing has to do with matching nutrient export to nutrient import. That's why I built my automatic refrigerated fish food feeder. It's more than being lazy and only refilling the feeder once a week. It feeds a measured amount consistently that you can match your export systems to.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting discussion - if I slow down my flow - or would use an automatic feeder - my food would float on the surface of the water - and be sucked into the overflow. Thus - 2 x per day - I feed mine by hand.

That's why I use Hikari pellets, they sink pretty easily. Also my feeders are near return nozzles and get spread around the tank and away from overflow.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who just "chuck it in" do you ever experience algae issues pertaining to it?
I always like a ton of little blue legs to clean up the scraps, If they don't get fed they will pick at the corals, so I feed heavy.
I do want to get an auto feeder, my son says he feeds them when he gets home from school :rolleyes: and then I feed in the evening with everything running. I do kill the return to keep reef foods and roids in the display for and hour or two.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been adding food with the pumps on to let it distribute through out the tank, then I turn all the pumps off for five minutes.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends a lot on the fish you keep. If I were to turn off my pumps and add food slowly the more aggressive feeders would get it all. So, I keep all pumps on and actually pour food into one of my vortechs so that it is rapidly distributed around the tank. BTW, all food added to the tank ends up as nitrate/phosphate regardless of how much is cycled through the fish, so that argument for slower feeding thus lower ‘waste’ seems flawed to me.
Same nutrient input whether the fish eat it or not. I have so much life on my sand and in my sump/fuge and I don't use socks, so I don't really care who gets it.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the primary consideration is what is needed to keep all the inhabitants at thier ideal weights. In my expericence every system needs to be individually tailored. Multiple feeders and/or feeding regimes may be needed.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't change my pumps for feeding...and neither does the ocean change its currents. This is why you feed only as much as your fish will eat in 1-2 minutes. Then you should have no extra food fouling the water. As for aminos, I have seen a difference in my corals after adding. I use KZ amino concentrate which has been excellent. Not sure it matters when they are added...I use in the evening.

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I choose other because with 50 fish in one tank. It you feed slowly only the pigs of the tank will eat. If you just dump it in you would make a mess. I tend to dump a little in 3 different spots and feed nori first This way the tangs won’t eat all the food

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Broadcast
20191224_183251.jpg
20191224_183303.jpg

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say "No, it doesnt matter"... but if you have a picky eater or a shy fish(CBB) that wont dive in the fray with more aggressive eaters, then you have to feed the bullies to distract them, then target the shy fish to make sure they get enough food.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally try to direct where and who the food goes to generally, which does take a little time. Mostly I just grab a chunk and mush it in the water with my fingers. I particularly enjoy feeding my anemone crab and duncan though, which is finally happy since I am feeding it regularly. I think when I spend some time making sure that everyone gets something really benefits the tank.

ZoWhat

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its all about PROTEIN ..... even tangs

You get every fish in your tank on a heavy (60+%) amt of protein.... you only have to feed them once a day ....and they'll be thick, fat and happy.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the make a blizzard out of it group. High flow excites the fish. Most of the fish don’t eat food that isn’t moving in the wild. I tried turning off the powerheads a few times and most of it drifted to the sand. They love to chase it around. Having the food disperse all over the tank gives the slower feeders a good meal too. They don’t have to compete.

Basically I take a cube of frozen, hold it in my fingers, and put it in front of the power head. I even do it with flake food. (My fish love it so I give it to them as a treat). Take the pinch of food and put my fingers in front of a power head then let go.

Everyone is thriving.

Yes, I do have higher nitrates but I just use more heavy duty removal methods.

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried feeding during a "feed mode" but found the wrasse and cardinalfish out competed everyone else. Now I just dump it in and the current gets its all over the tank. This actually allows everyone to get some without staying too far from their comfort zones. Even the little goby and pistol shrimp do well with this.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 28 13.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 95 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 66 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.5%
Back