Fish finder 325 Gallon Peninsula Build

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's time for an upgrade. I started with an old used 210 G that I purchased of craigslist; it was the first aquarium I've had. I got the 210 set up about 7 months ago. With the intention of building a custom tank later in the future.
IMG_4400.jpeg

Well..... the future came sooner than expected. I'm ready for a larger, roomier, low iron tank. I plan on this tank coming with me if I ever decide to move or have a house built. I love the idea of a peninsula tank as a room divider. So this tank will be designed to accomplish that for future use.

This will be a long and slow build. I just put the order in for the tank this morning. Living Color Aquariums in Miami. I still have to gather all equipment for the build along the way.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm super jealous man, I wish I could have a larger tank but I'm pretty sure anything over 40 gallons would punch through the floor boards of my second story apartment ;Shifty I need to get a house!

Good luck with the build!

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. I like the coast to coast. Dream tank for sure. Any plans on lighting it yet? I like the peninsula idea too, always liked that look. I've got tank envy right now! Lol

I am already running reef breeders on my 7' so I am just going to buy another very short reef breeders to stick up on the end. Later when it becomes a peninsula I will get new lights to tidy it up.

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started gathering items for the tank. Just bought 2 reef breeders V2s to go with my 2 reef breeders. I'll be running 2 rows of lights on the new tank. Also just got a pinpoint ph monitor delivered.
IMG_0081.PNG
IMG_0082.PNG

Continuing to slowly stockpile supplies...

ReefinND

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Someday in the not so distant future, when I move to a new home, I want to do a peninsula style tank about that size.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those photons are sweet. Can't wait to see this tank up and running. I'd like to see the those lights in person.

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talked to the builders and everything is going good. On track for December sometime. Got a couple more items picked up. (2) MP 40s for the return side of the tank. And a tunze osmolator.
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG

I'll still be picking up more items randomally until the tank gets here.

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the CAD drawings I just got back from them. 96x30x26 tall. 3 sides low iron glass. With a coast to coast overflow on the non-low iron side.

Curious - why didn't you order the glass from a glass shop, using the designs, getting it delivered and building the tank yourself?
(What I'm planning to do for a 60x24x16h)

And if you can go larger, building a sump chamber as part of the main tank?

It's just I see more people buying tanks and building walls around them, than building their own tanks for the wow factor. Like much taller than normal, for example. When you own a house you can easily (hopefully!) reinforce from underneath for the load.

OP
OP
Fishfinder

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - why didn't you order the glass from a glass shop, using the designs, getting it delivered and building the tank yourself?

It's just I see more people buying tanks and building walls around them, than building their own tanks for the wow factor. Like much taller than normal, for example. When you own a house you can easily (hopefully!) reinforce from underneath for the load.

First I don't want to take that chance building a tank that big. It's a lot of water and a lot a if home damage.
Second there will be a sump. Underneath the tank inside the stand about 100 gal.
Third I don't want to go taller than 26" due to the fact that reaching the bottom will be tough.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not trying to be mean in any way just truly have absolutely no idea what your talking about....

First off building a tank this size is a huge undertaking with needing to have the correct thickness, and bracing for the size of tank. I would only leave that up to a professional builder who also give a warranty with their work. I have built tank both of acrylic and glass and it is not as easy as you think. Don’t know your skill level but if you trust your work holding 100 gallons and 835lbs per your tank dimensions given .

Second what do you mean by a sump chamber as part of the display.....there will be a sump under separate of the display which is gong to be more than sufficient for filtration. Being able to see it while viewing the display I feel would take away from it. Sumps/ fugues are usually not visually appealing.

Third what are you talking about having walls built around a tank....utterly confused about that statement. The wow factor is going to be there with this tank and the majority of these custom builds. Reinforcing floors or anything else being changed to hold thousands of pounds of water should be done by a professional unless you truly do know what your doing. There are also building codes that may need to be taken into account.

@Fishfinder this is going to be a cool build let me know when your ready for some help moving it!

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply FF. I like the coast-to-coast, I'm going to use that in my next build.

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be mean in any way

Phew! Thanks for that part. It's easy to assume a lot from a small amount of text. Your points are valid of course, my original question was along the lines, when you have the house & the budget, why choose one way over another.

Asking questions is a great way to learn someone like me to learn from seasoned hobbyists.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to watching this one come together. I'm a sucker for a peninsula. Love the deminsions!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back