Fish for a Fluval Evo (13.5 gallon) - I am a noob.

lostrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

I recently got back into fishkeeping--I previously had a 70 gallon African Cichlid aquarium, but joined the salt side a month ago. Currently cycling my 13.5 gallon nano tank (fishless cycle), and probably should be done by this weekend at the earliest. Upgraded my lighting to an AI Prime 16, upgraded the stock return pump to something better, as well as put in the inTank add-on into the first chamber (the tank is AIO).

Anyways, excited to start the hobby, and in fact many of the things that scared me before like salinity changes turned out to be a total non-issue since I have a Tunze ATO and has kept my salinity rock solid at 1.025. So now, I am at the point where I am looking at stocking ideas for the aquarium. After doing an overstocked African Cichlid tank years ago, I don't have an interest in doing something like that again. Looking for appropriate fish for such a small aquarium--THAT SAID, I can definitely see my self upgrading to something bigger in 2-5 years, but I don't want to get fish that will force me to upgrade sooner than when I want.

SO, could I have an Ocellaris clownfish in such a small tank (Could I do a pair or only one)? I know you can have them when they are babies, but I wouldn't want to be forced to upsize sooner than I am comfortable. I was recommended a Firefish as well. Please let me know?

I apologize if this is asked a lot...which I could imagine... ;)

TLDR: What to stock in a 13.5 gallon Fluval EVO (will be corals eventually too)? Stocking ideas :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

I recently got back into fishkeeping--I previously had a 70 gallon African Cichlid aquarium, but joined the salt side a month ago. Currently cycling my 13.5 gallon nano tank (fishless cycle), and probably should be done by this weekend at the earliest. Upgraded my lighting to an AI Prime 16, upgraded the stock return pump to something better, as well as put in the inTank add-on into the first chamber (the tank is AIO).

Anyways, excited to start the hobby, and in fact many of the things that scared me before like salinity changes turned out to be a total non-issue since I have a Tunze ATO and has kept my salinity rock solid at 1.025. So now, I am at the point where I am looking at stocking ideas for the aquarium. After doing an overstocked African Cichlid tank years ago, I don't have an interest in doing something like that again. Looking for appropriate fish for such a small aquarium--THAT SAID, I can definitely see my self upgrading to something bigger in 2-5 years, but I don't want to get fish that will force me to upgrade sooner than when I want.

SO, could I have an Ocellaris clownfish in such a small tank (Could I do a pair or only one)? I know you can have them when they are babies, but I wouldn't want to be forced to upsize sooner than I am comfortable. I was recommended a Firefish as well. Please let me know?

I apologize if this is asked a lot...which I could imagine... ;)

TLDR: What to stock in a 13.5 gallon Fluval EVO (will be corals eventually too)? Stocking ideas :)
You could have a pair of clowns in an Evo but they would be the only two in the tank in the long run (Even with a single specimen you may be stuck with the same issue).

I would personally go for something like this if it was my tank (All of this is personal preference).
1x Pink Streak Wrasse or Tanakai Possum Wrasse
1x Griessingeri Goby (Later on down the line when copepods are built up)
3x Lachdeber’s Goby (With a symbiotic Long Tentacle Plate Coral)

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an evo, I got 3 fish, a clown, a yellow watchman goby and a neon dottyback along with a pistol for the YWG and a porcelain crab. As long as you do small water changes you’ll be ok with 3 small fish.

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 evo 13.5g tanks and a 16g tank.

Stock list as followed
1st tank I have a pair of ossilaris clownfish, a midas blenny and a yellow banded possum wrasse.

2nd tank I have a yellow banded possum wrasse and a pink streak wrasse.

I also have a 16g tank with a Tanaka's pygmy wrasse, lawnmower blenny, bangii cardinal fish, and a cleaner shrimp.

I don't have any agression. Everyone gets along just fine. I tried mixing my yellow banded possum wrasse with my tanaka's pygmy wrasse and it didn't go well the tanaka's chased the yellow banded around so I have not tried a different wrasse with him since but ymmv.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 fish is possible depending on what goes in.
Definitely pass on clowns unless that’s it. Even a pair may not last long term.
I would personally stick to smaller, passive fish like smaller shrimpgobies (and other gobies), royal grammas, firefish, Pygmy wrasse, etc. - all fish that have been mentioned.

OP
OP
L

lostrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a lot to chew on. I think my cycle won't be done for another 1.5-2 weeks, so I will definitely consider all of the info provided. Thanks again!

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 13.5 EVO has been up and running for about a year and 3 months. I have a pair of orange storm clowns, a tailspot blenny, and a yellow watchman goby/randall's pistol pair.

It's on the overstocked side of things, but it works for me. I do large weekly water changes to keep the nutrients in check. And while 4 fish is pushing it, I picked my inhabitants based on the fact that they occupy different areas of the tank (goby/shrimp in burrows under the rock, blenny on the rockwork, and the clowns are the only "free swimmers"). It's a very peaceful tank.

OP
OP
L

lostrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 13.5 EVO has been up and running for about a year and 3 months. I have a pair of orange storm clowns, a tailspot blenny, and a yellow watchman goby/randall's pistol pair.

It's on the overstocked side of things, but it works for me. I do large weekly water changes to keep the nutrients in check. And while 4 fish is pushing it, I picked my inhabitants based on the fact that they occupy different areas of the tank (goby/shrimp in burrows under the rock, blenny on the rockwork, and the clowns are the only "free swimmers"). It's a very peaceful tank.

I think I will do 1x Ocellaris Clownfish and either

1) YWG + pistol shrimp pair
2) Tailspin blenny

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

Pale Morning1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have same tank. Two O clowns, firefish and clown goby. Tank has been set up for just about two years with this stock for 1.5 years.

Attachments

• A383DCF1-9BDC-4C2F-9965-512637798EAA.jpeg
    A383DCF1-9BDC-4C2F-9965-512637798EAA.jpeg
    376.7 KB · Views: 114

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing you did. I went from an Mbuna tank to a Fluval Evo. I had a pair of clowns, a tail spot blenny and a cuc. It was fine but when I was sure I liked it I converted my 75 gallons FW to salt.

Have fun and take your time. Read and learn. This is wayyyyyyy more complicated and tricky than freshwater, even African cichlids.

OP
OP
L

lostrider

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing you did. I went from an Mbuna tank to a Fluval Evo. I had a pair of clowns, a tail spot blenny and a cuc. It was fine but when I was sure I liked it I converted my 75 gallons FW to salt.

Have fun and take your time. Read and learn. This is wayyyyyyy more complicated and tricky than freshwater, even African cichlids.

Definitely taking my time—still cycling at the moment. Will probably do clowns or maybe just one + a blenny. Seems like a good start. Thanks for the advice.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two fish and a cleaner shrimp in my 13.5 and they act cramped.
I now have a pair of clowns in my 75 gallons and they are not taking any more room than they did in my 13.5 gallons. Those fish typically stay in one corner, in my experience.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now have a pair of clowns in my 75 gallons and they are not taking any more room than they did in my 13.5 gallons. Those fish typically stay in one corner, in my experience.
My clowns are all over my 90.

I think a pair of clowns in a fluval is fine. But going by some of yall logic i can put 36 fish in my 90. :winking-face-with-tongue:

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go with clowns, you increase your risk of aggression and limit the number of fish you could have. Clowns can be quite aggressive. A single not so much as a pair, as with just one, you mitigate the breeding aggression. Good luck, GO SLOW!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns are all over my 90.

I think a pair of clowns in a fluval is fine. But going by some of yall logic i can put 36 fish in my 90. :winking-face-with-tongue:
Honestly, if you planned correctly then you could have 36 or so fish.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back