Fish for Clean-up crew

Soehl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's make a list of "must have" fish for our mixed reef tanks. Fish that are beneficial to our tanks and serve a specific purpose. Please give the type of fish and your reason why, or even why not, they are beneficial to our tanks.

Today at my LFS I learned that a Yellow Coris Wrasse is a great fish to have with Zoa becuase they will help eat pests, like zoa eating nudis, and they also clean parasites off fish.

Flipside

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Starry Blenny, and it does the same thing a Lawnmower does. :) I also have a few tangs and a foxface rabbitfish. Great algae grazers.

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two yellow coris wrasses. They also eat pyramid snails that eat clams and monti eating nudibranches. They have a neat personality. Need a sandbed for them to sleep.

smoyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two yellow coris wrasses. They also eat pyramid snails that eat clams and monti eating nudibranches. They have a neat personality. Need a sandbed for them to sleep.

They can manager without a sand bed so would say that it is preferred but not required

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mollies. They are great at eating algae.

OP
OP
Soehl

Soehl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ I have seen Mollies at the LFS for that purpose. I just can't bring myself to have them. I mean, FRESHWATER, really? LOL Same with Mono. I just don't want those either. :)

OP
OP
Soehl

Soehl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised that Tangs haven't been mentioned more.... What is your experience with specific types?

My Purple and Yellow don't spend much time grazing but my Caribbean Blue Tang doesn't stop grazing.

Isoprene

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep these coming, I am looking for my final addition to my 55 bowfront and I need a smaller algae grazer. I was thinking a small Hippo tang until he gets too big then maybe take him back to the LFS. Anyone have any experiance with the regals eating algae?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back