Fish for open top Lagoon

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small open lagoon tank on my desk at home. It has exposed rocks and will have mangroves growing out of it. I am looking for fish that i can keep in the tank. I cant put a screen on it as it has rocks and mangroves sticking up. I have a stary blenny in it now. He's been there for a year and is happy. I would like to add a Randal's Gobie, but i worry he may jump out. I ordered one from Dr. Reefs but i got either a Flagtail or Pink Stripe instead. It was clearly not a Randals. It didnt pay the pistol shrimp any mind and jumped out the first night. I also tried a sixline wrasse. He lasted a few days before making the great leap.

What are some fish that are less likely to jump? I know all fish can and will jump, but a top isnt an option so i want to pick fish that dont have a tendancy to jump.

OP
OP
B

Biglurr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
other bottom-dwellers are probably less likely to jump

maybe clownfish. i haven't heard many stories of them jumping but that's just me
Im trying to avoid clowns. I thought i would be safe with the gobie, as they are more of a bottom dweller. especially with the pistol shrimp. I might get a randals and net it until the pistol and gobie bond.

DKPminus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m am waiting here right now for my pink barred goby that I ordered for my pistol shrimp witch is almost 24 hours late and might be dead along with the to porcelain crabs... needless to say not happy with fedex

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to get lots of 'any fish can jump'... true, but in this case, less than helpful.

Pipefish are unlikely to jump... as are seahorses :D

Frogfish, anglers, that sort of thing rarely leave the substrate.

I've had many different types of cardinals in open top tanks, and rarely lost any.

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its not big. Its about 10 gallons but its connected to my main system which is around 250 gallons of SPS and then 80gallon sump.
in that size i'd have your blenny and then if you have a lot of caves maybe you could do a watchman + pistol pair. or you could do an exotic invert tank with your blenny. crabs, shrimp, etc. would be very unlikely to jump and would be awesome.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back