Fish Ideas for a IM Nuvo Fusion 20

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by nautical_nathaniel, Nov 14, 2017.

1. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Jack of All Trades, Masters in One R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Hey folks! I'm interested in getting another fish for my aquarium but I want it to be a cool, unusual, or just uncommon fish. I'm looking for suggestions for an appropriate nano-sized fish that I won't have to order myself (weather is crazy this time of year in NW Florida), it's okay if I have to get a LFS to order it though (as long as it is a sturdy fish and will most likely survive shipping). It will need to get along with the following fish and critters mainly, there are other things such as hermits, snails, starfish, and an emerald crab:

2x Ocellaris Clowns (Still pretty small but probably almost to minimal breeding size)
    1x Juvenille Longnose Hawkfish (2" long)
    1x Flame Shrimp (Full grown)
    1x Pistol Shrimp (Full grown)

I was looking at a Black-cap Basslet but one LFS can't get one in alive ;Dead and another LFS wants $80 for one ;Facepalm (to put things in perspective the other LFS only wanted $45).
    I was also looking at a pygmy/possum wrasse but they don't seem to be in season much. The only other fish I considered was an orange-spotted blenny but the last one I got died in QT and wouldn't eat anything.

2. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I have an orange-spot blenny, and not sure I'd consider him for a small tank ... he's maybe four inches long, and moves pretty quick. I'd give a tailspot blenny some thought though! Ought to charm from the rockwork. Down at the base of the rock, I'd be tempted by a pair of red-banded hi-fin gobies (Stonogobiops nematodes). Small, just enough exotic - and depending on which pistol shrimp you have, may partner up with 'im.

~Bruce

3. TheReefer27

TheReefer27 Active Member Build Thread Contributor

If you can find a specimen that will eat, or you have a constant supply of film algae/microorganisms a hector's goby would look great. I have one in my 14g biocube that's about 8 months old.

nautical_nathaniel likes this.
  4. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Check out a fijian Vanderbilt chromis. Not sure if it will be to big for your set up, I think it gets to about 3" max but a very cool and different fish.

Tahoe61 and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  5. Kyl

Kyl Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Won't that hawkfish try and eat anything smaller, which is typically what inhabits a nano tank?

Benny Cavalino likes this.
  6. Tuffyyyyy

Tuffyyyyy Well-Known Member

I've had a flame had in my IM40 for 8 months with a Coral Banded Shrimp and clownfish, and there's been a firefish in for a couple months. That's not to say that every flame hawk is going to get along with its tank mates, but mine have been doing well.

Lovemyreef2015 and DSC reef like this.
  7. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

Grammica goby, curious wormfish, plectranthias, rose island dottyback, pike blenny.

8. nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel Jack of All Trades, Masters in One R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

@Maritimer , @DSC reef , @TheReefer27 , and @eatbreakfast thanks for the suggestions!

So far the Vanderbilt Chromis and the Pike Blenny are fairly interesting and definitely not something I have ever seen in my LFS, I'll have to see if I can get my LFS to get one of either, so far they seem pretty sparse through online vendors.

Maritimer and DSC reef like this.
  9. DSC reef

DSC reef Coral wasted R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Your very Welcome! Divers den gets them randomly. I want one too :D

Tahoe61 and nautical_nathaniel like this.
  10. nautical_nathaniel

He's currently the smallest thing in the tank and only poses a threat to pods right now. Later on he will need to cohabitate peacefully with tankmates as he grows, so ideally the new fish would be a similar size to him and also be something that he wouldn't be too interested in. So something like a yellow clown goby or yasha goby would be a no-go.

DSC reef likes this.
  11. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

Any of the Florida keys/Caribbean collectors can get pike blennies.

DSC reef and nautical_nathaniel like this.
  12. nautical_nathaniel

I checked KP Aquatics and they seem to be out of most stuff, interestingly enough they had one black cap basslet left :rolleyes:

Are there any others that you suggest?

13. eatbreakfast

I used KP a few years ago when I got them. Maybe try Foxy Saltwater Tropicals.

nautical_nathaniel likes this.
  14. nautical_nathaniel

I appreciate how Foxy Saltwater Tropicals calls everything a critter :D

I'll check them out and see what they have in stock, thanks!

eatbreakfast likes this.
  15. nautical_nathaniel

Update for the folks that were curious:

One of my LFS got some blackcap basslets in but one of them was huge, probably 4" long and the other had ich or velvet already and wasn't eating :(

However they did have something that is definitely appropriate for my tank, a pink streak wrasse! The little guy had apparently been in quarantine for another customer for two weeks and the customer said he didn't want it anymore so they let me get the little fella! He's fat and healthy looking so I think I lucked out in finding him today :)

16. Kyl

Kyl Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

PSW are great, and the buggy little orange eyes as it zips around the tank will make you laugh.

DSC reef and nautical_nathaniel like this.
  17. nautical_nathaniel

I've already named him Sauron because of those eyes :D

Maritimer and DSC reef like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted