Fish Ideas for a IM Nuvo Fusion 20

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks! I'm interested in getting another fish for my aquarium but I want it to be a cool, unusual, or just uncommon fish. I'm looking for suggestions for an appropriate nano-sized fish that I won't have to order myself (weather is crazy this time of year in NW Florida), it's okay if I have to get a LFS to order it though (as long as it is a sturdy fish and will most likely survive shipping). It will need to get along with the following fish and critters mainly, there are other things such as hermits, snails, starfish, and an emerald crab:

2x Ocellaris Clowns (Still pretty small but probably almost to minimal breeding size)
1x Juvenille Longnose Hawkfish (2" long)
1x Flame Shrimp (Full grown)
1x Pistol Shrimp (Full grown)

I was looking at a Black-cap Basslet but one LFS can't get one in alive ;Dead and another LFS wants $80 for one ;Facepalm (to put things in perspective the other LFS only wanted $45).
I was also looking at a pygmy/possum wrasse but they don't seem to be in season much. The only other fish I considered was an orange-spotted blenny but the last one I got died in QT and wouldn't eat anything.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an orange-spot blenny, and not sure I'd consider him for a small tank ... he's maybe four inches long, and moves pretty quick. I'd give a tailspot blenny some thought though! Ought to charm from the rockwork. Down at the base of the rock, I'd be tempted by a pair of red-banded hi-fin gobies (Stonogobiops nematodes). Small, just enough exotic - and depending on which pistol shrimp you have, may partner up with 'im.

~Bruce

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find a specimen that will eat, or you have a constant supply of film algae/microorganisms a hector's goby would look great. I have one in my 14g biocube that's about 8 months old.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't that hawkfish try and eat anything smaller, which is typically what inhabits a nano tank?
I've had a flame had in my IM40 for 8 months with a Coral Banded Shrimp and clownfish, and there's been a firefish in for a couple months. That's not to say that every flame hawk is going to get along with its tank mates, but mine have been doing well.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Maritimer , @DSC reef , @TheReefer27 , and @eatbreakfast thanks for the suggestions!

So far the Vanderbilt Chromis and the Pike Blenny are fairly interesting and definitely not something I have ever seen in my LFS, I'll have to see if I can get my LFS to get one of either, so far they seem pretty sparse through online vendors.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won't that hawkfish try and eat anything smaller, which is typically what inhabits a nano tank?
He's currently the smallest thing in the tank and only poses a threat to pods right now. Later on he will need to cohabitate peacefully with tankmates as he grows, so ideally the new fish would be a similar size to him and also be something that he wouldn't be too interested in. So something like a yellow clown goby or yasha goby would be a no-go.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the Florida keys/Caribbean collectors can get pike blennies.
I checked KP Aquatics and they seem to be out of most stuff, interestingly enough they had one black cap basslet left :rolleyes:

Are there any others that you suggest?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked KP Aquatics and they seem to be out of most stuff, interestingly enough they had one black cap basslet left :rolleyes:

Are there any others that you suggest?
I used KP a few years ago when I got them. Maybe try Foxy Saltwater Tropicals.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used KP a few years ago when I got them. Maybe try Foxy Saltwater Tropicals.
I appreciate how Foxy Saltwater Tropicals calls everything a critter :D

I'll check them out and see what they have in stock, thanks!

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for the folks that were curious:

One of my LFS got some blackcap basslets in but one of them was huge, probably 4" long and the other had ich or velvet already and wasn't eating :(

However they did have something that is definitely appropriate for my tank, a pink streak wrasse! The little guy had apparently been in quarantine for another customer for two weeks and the customer said he didn't want it anymore so they let me get the little fella! He's fat and healthy looking so I think I lucked out in finding him today :)

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PSW are great, and the buggy little orange eyes as it zips around the tank will make you laugh.
I've already named him Sauron because of those eyes :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back