Fish in lots of tanks you think are just ugly

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that’s a cool story! I think I just got bit one to many times by the moray’s when I worked at a public aquarium. Those things are crazy. I was just trying to clean..
I had one swim between my legs once when I was standing in shallow water. That freaked me out. I’m deathly afraid of jellyfish however. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been stung by box jellies and Portuguese man-o-wars.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one swim between my legs once when I was standing in shallow water. That freaked me out. I’m deathly afraid of jellyfish however. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been stung by box jellies and Portuguese man-o-wars.
Really???? How are you alive ! Lol. That’s hardcore. Where at?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really???? How are you alive ! Lol. That’s hardcore. Where at?
In Hawaii. The box jellies there are different from the deadly ones in Australia. They will invade the southern shores of the Hawaiian islands one week after each full moon. Usually they’re worse in the morning. So I’d go surfing later in the afternoon. Every once in awhile, one will get you. Feels like a hot iron rod wrapped around you.

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Hawaii. The box jellies there are different from the deadly ones in Australia. They will invade the southern shores of the Hawaiian islands one week after each full moon. Usually they’re worse in the morning. So I’d go surfing later in the afternoon. Every once in awhile, one will get you. Feels like a hot iron rod wrapped around you.

[emoji51]

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How dare you! They are so darn cute. Them and Clown Triggers are the reason I went to saltwater in the first place and when I found out I couldn't keep either in a reef tank I was crushed. :(
Love clown triggers, all triggers really. And I like puffers, just not the porcupine puffer. I think they are pretty cute when they’re tiny babies but then they get bigger and just not for me.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow tang
I just do not understand the appeal of Yellow Tangs. I also think PJ Cardinals are very ugly...and the reason I have two. :) My kids call them Zombie Fish and I agree that the skin kind of looks like zombie skin. LOL
Mandarin Goby and Marine Betas
pajama cardinal fish and yellow tangs.
Clown fish for me, I just don't see a point to them

In defense of some of my favorite fishes

Yellow tang
I don't understand you guys.
What is not to like about the Yellow tang? I think all tanks that are big enough should have them. Not only they are brilliant in color, they are also very useful fish. I cannot think of any fish that are more yellow.
YellowTang2019052801.jpg

YellowTang2019062402.jpg

Mandarin
How anybody in their right mind dislike Mandarin Dragonet? Easy to care for as long as you have the tank set up for them. Never get sick. In the right environment, you can get a stick thin Mandarin and get him back to health. Never get any disease. You can get a tank wipe out from disease and he will be just fine. I disagree about Marine Betta, but I can see your point that he is dull in coloration and shy in behavior. However, he is very hardy also and very graceful. His hunting behavior is very interesting if you care to observe it.
Mandarin2016010602.jpg

Mandarin2016010607.jpg

Mandarin2016010901.jpg

Mandarin2019070701.jpg

Clownfish
You got to be certified crazy to not to like clownfish as a group. Many of us, myself included, hook on Marine tank becasue of Instant Ocean's picture of the Ocellaris. One of the very first marine fish to be captive propagated. Now if you dislike these stupid deformed designer clownfish, I certainly understand that, becasue I do to. However a perfectly formed, healthy clownfish, in their natural anemone host is enough to bring a piece of the Ocean into your house. I cannot see how I can keep a reef aquarium without any of these fishes.
Carpets2014080501watermarked.jpg

IMG_9672 Clown and Magnifica.jpg

IMG_9725 Clown and Magnifica.jpg

Percula2019071202Onyx.jpg

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blennies have popped up a lot. They’re not very attractive fish and I think most people who love these guys would even agree with that.

For these fish, it’s the personality that makes people love them. You’ll never understand until you’ve had one and it thrives in your tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower blennies have popped up a lot. They’re not very attractive fish and I think most people who love these guys would even agree with that.

For these fish, it’s the personality that makes people love them. You’ll never understand until you’ve had one and it thrives in your tank.
Very interesting fish. They are so ugly that they are cute to boost.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember folks, everyone is entitled to their opinion. No one has to like everything. Please don’t get defensive if someone doesn’t like what you like.
It is just for fun. I am not defensive. Just argue for fun only.

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one swim between my legs once when I was standing in shallow water. That freaked me out.

I was once on a night dive at a wreck in Aruba and part of the dive plan was that the group would settle on our knees in the sand next to the ship, and once everyone was together with BC's deflated we would turn off our flashlights for a minute and wave our hands to see the bioluminescent algae. A couple of seconds after we start I see a flashlight go on across from me, then another, then I feel something strange on my lower legs (wearing a shortie dive suit), so I turn on my dive light also. It was a 5' green moray that decided to swim through the group.

TonysReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember folks, everyone is entitled to their opinion. No one has to like everything. Please don’t get defensive if someone doesn’t like what you like.

What if we choose to get offensive if someone doesn't like the fish we like??? (kidding)

I'm with OrionN though, I expected a lot of the responses here, didn't expect a few (lionfish are majestic and beautiful), but the mention of clownfish is a real surprise.

GregOyeah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expected lawnmower blennies to be on here I just wanted to emphasize that looks usually aren’t why people love them.

Seeing so many foxfaces pop up surprised me

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back