fish injury or parasite

peter mcclung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 gallon fish / coral tank
I have been missing a few fish like 6 firefish, 2 chromis, 2 clowns have died.
I have noticed on one of the clowns it had a discoloration (whitish stripe) along its back on one side
A purple pseudo has similar markings on its body
my yellow eye tang has a larger one vertically on it side in front of its tail
i do have some anemone not sure on the names but one (Purple) is not clown friendly
Does the injury on my tang appear to be an anemone attack
which as now it has become an open wound

can anyone please help
yellow eye.jpg
20180326_215140 (1).jpg
20180326_215131.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like a wound, but wounds have the potential to become infected. Infections came become breeding grounds for harmful bacteria, which spread to other fish. It's like a domino effect.

Do you have a UV or diatom filter? Those are your best options for eliminating harmful bacteria in a DT.

The other side of the coin is to food soak antibiotics and/or vitamins to boost your fishes immune systems.

Can you QT, if needed? Because dosing antibiotics directly into a QT may be required here.

OP
OP
P

peter mcclung

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i do have a qt
which i removed one of the clowns, which had the same kind of mark, before it died the next day
any recommendations on vits and antibiotics

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be a sting, but I agree with Humblefish — it could be an infection starting. Having acriflavine for bath purposes and the “trifecta” of antibiotics would be a good play either way in case an infection occurs. The trifecta is kanaplex, furan 2, and metroplex.

Last edited:

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_1790.JPG
I noticed some slight aggression between 2 RG I have in Quarantine. I originally ordered 3 and 1 was DOA.. After reading a lot on keeping them in groups and not keeping them in groups I thought I'd give it a shot.. A couple of days ago I noticed one of the grammas had some white fuzzy discoloration on one of its side, but couldn't get a good look at it. Anyways, I found it stuck to my powerhead this morning. It looks like an injury to me but am not for certain. And also looks infected. Here's a pic. I felt terrible for the fish. They were both eating with no issues yesterday. Besides the spot on its side. Any ideas?

Last edited:

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is probably an injury from fighting that has now gotten infected.

His best hope would be an acriflavine bath: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acriflavine.282887/

Followed up by ABX treatment in QT: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/antibiotics.283711/
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately the fish didn't make it. I should have went with my gut and just attempted 1 fish. I've kept them in several other systems over the years, but never tried more than 1.. And also thank you for everything you've contributed to this Website. I've found all of your write ups to be very invaluable with great information! It's certainly helped me get back into the hobby after a long break. Thanks for the quick response also!

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately the fish didn't make it. I should have went with my gut and just attempted 1 fish. I've kept them in several other systems over the years, but never tried more than 1.. And also thank you for everything you've contributed to this Website. I've found all of your write ups to be very invaluable with great information! It's certainly helped me get back into the hobby after a long break. Thanks for the quick response also!

I'm sorry for your loss :(

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got home yesterday I noticed this dark spot on my Wrasse. I'm on day 5 of copper at 1.83ppm per Hanna Checker. Using copper power. Ramped it up over 6 days. The Wrasse has been eating like a pig. I haven't been able to keep the light on due to her erratic behavior. Chasing her reflection and swimming all crazy. Keeping the light off is the only thing that's helped keep her calm. The spot looks like an injury to me. Like she ran into something with her crazy swimming and all. I don't know what's going to happen once she gets into the display after quarantine. Maybe she'll calm down with the reflection thing. That is if she makes it through the meds and all. Dosing meds stresses me out. Especially when the fish are showing no signs of illness. I did choose to treat instead of observe. I know wrasses can harbor parasites without showing any outward signs of disease. Especially having a heavy slime coat. Anyways, does anyone think this looks like an injury? I took 40 or so pics and this was the best I could do. Very fast fish. It would have been easier if it wasn't such a spaz with the light on.

IMG_1863.JPG

IMG_1859.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks more like a bruise to me. Possibly from rubbing her “neck” on the bottom of the tank. FWIW; I always quarantine with lights off, especially with wrasses. They go crazy if they see their reflection on the bottom of the tank.

JCTReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks more like a bruise to me. Possibly from rubbing her “neck” on the bottom of the tank. FWIW; I always quarantine with lights off, especially with wrasses. They go crazy if they see their reflection on the bottom of the tank.
Thanks for the input‼️ I kinda figured it was more than likely a bruise. This is my first experience with a Wrasse. They certainly have some strange behaviors. I thought it was dead the other night, but was just sleeping on its side. Strange thing is, it completely ignores the Pyrex sand bed. I bet that changes once she's in the DT. Thanks again for the reply! I'll keep an eye on the spot. Hopefully it won't get infected.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back