Fish List recommendations for 8ft 310g display?

MooreTankMoreProblems

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers!

I am currenting working on my final stocking list for my 310 display and was curious what everyone thinks of my current stock and future additions? (All pending to change ofcorse, and I am looking for others inputs/Ideas!)

Current stocking:
-6 clowns
-Lawnmower Blenny
-Purple Firefish
-Midas Blenny
-Royal Gramma
-Melanarus Wrasse
-Christmas Wrasse
-2 Banggia Cardinals

Future additions:
-Yellow Coris
-Green Coris
-3 squareback or Lyretail Anthias

(First round of Tangs)
-3 Yellow tangs
-Blue Hippo tang
-Whitetail bristletooth tang

(2nd Phase)
-Desjardini Sailfin tang
-Purple Tang
-Gem Tang (Pending the right price... but prolly wont happen)
-Clown Tang

I have had the idea of a Trigger to add as well, but that can be hit and miss in a reef.. anyway if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some thoughts, since you asked ;) :

I wouldn't have done so many clowns, but it sounds like you have them already.
I would skip the green 'coris.' They get big, mean, and ugly.
I would also skip the clown tang. I just wouldn't trust it with so many other beautiful (and expensive) fishes.

I have had the idea of a Trigger to add as well, but that can be hit and miss in a reef.. anyway if anyone has any suggestions please let me know!
Sure. All the Xanthichthys genus ones are planktivores...so blue throat, cross hatch, sargassum, and a couple others we don't see in the hobby.

OP
OP
MooreTankMoreProblems

MooreTankMoreProblems

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would also skip the clown tang. I just wouldn't trust it with so many other beautiful (and expensive) fishes.

Sure. All the Xanthichthys genus ones are planktivores...so blue throat, cross hatch, sargassum, and a couple others we don't see in the hobby.
Appreciate the input! I do agree the Green coris has been on the "Meh" side of my list, I've just heard they do wonders with pest control.... but the other three warriors should do more than enough, and also opens the door for a nice fairy wrasse or two... :)

I do agree on the Clown Tang as well, my LFS has kind of talked me into that one.. (Just because they look sweet...) But they are on the more aggressive end of the tang gang... I would love a crosshatch lol, but thats also another one still going for $1k around me.. but I'm always waiting for a tank tear down to swipe one up if it happens or the deal is found!

Thank you again!

OP
OP
MooreTankMoreProblems

MooreTankMoreProblems

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also yea, we already have the clowns... surprising they are all doing great, each group hangs out in different areas of the tank and so far no aggression.. but if that does happen I can always move a pair to the 80g Frag tank I have plumbed in or rehome them.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just some suggestions-
angelfish of Genicanthus family.
wrasse( instead of yellow n green as they can turn into bullies) - kuiter's, naoko, marble, lubock all beautiful and swift swimmers.
red light or yellow striped cardinal fish instead of anthias. they don't have medium level care and fighting issue.

OP
OP
MooreTankMoreProblems

MooreTankMoreProblems

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess Yellow Tangs won’t be an option anymore, unless you can source one from Biota.
Almost all of my LFS's near me can still get them in? They haven't had any issues as of yet.

EDIT:
JUST SAW THE OFFICIAL BAN NOTICE... Ef me... One of my LFS's still has like 5 in stock as of last weekend.... I might have to make the purchase today...

Last edited:
OP
OP
MooreTankMoreProblems

MooreTankMoreProblems

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty light on the athias in my opinion. Also a foxface is a nice cleaner to have.
I originally had 6 on list but wasn't sure if that was overkill or not lol. I also did have a One spot or Magnificent on my list, but my LFS said they at times can be real finicky and start going rogue munching on corals. (But there have also been cases of yellow tangs doing the same... so i guess it all comes out to the luck of the draw!)

Thank you for your input!

RDtrack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six foot 300 gallon and I'm looking at maybe 11. 5 lyretails, 3 Bimaculatus and 3 purple queen anthias when all said and done with anthias.

Any fish is hit and miss. Foxfaces along with brissletooths are by far the best cleaners in my opinion.

Yellow tangs will still be around may just be a tad more

I would add all of your zebrasoma at the same time.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tangs
Butterflies such as pyramid
Wrasses
Anthias
Percula clowns

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back