Fish mouth parasite

korengabizon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect that there is a worm-like parasite residing inside the mouth of my banggai cardinal fish. The fish is quite small and has refrained from eating for several days, even rejecting frozen foods. After a brief description to the AI model, it suggested that the parasite could possibly be a parasitic copepod, which may be manually removed. I am curious if anyone has encountered a similar situation and can provide insight into what this parasite might be and how to effectively address it. Unfortunately, I do not currently possess a cleaner shrimp, as I am awaiting their availability in local stores.

Attachments

• 20230630_174635_2.mp4
    7.4 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I suspect that there is a worm-like parasite residing inside the mouth of my banggai cardinal fish. The fish is quite small and has refrained from eating for several days, even rejecting frozen foods. After a brief description to the AI model, it suggested that the parasite could possibly be a parasitic copepod, which may be manually removed. I am curious if anyone has encountered a similar situation and can provide insight into what this parasite might be and how to effectively address it. Unfortunately, I do not currently possess a cleaner shrimp, as I am awaiting their availability in local stores.
This is a skin tang likely from something ingested that caused skin to tear or other injury which should heal on its own. What foods have you fed or are feeding?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, this looks like a skin tag. It is not the copepod mouth parasite.
I’ve not seen Ergasilus on cardinal fish, but maybe?
The not eating is a serious issue with these fish. How long have you had this fish? Do you know if it was captive raised or wild caught?
Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back