Fish origin and why does it matter?

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I look for fish to purchase I often see the seller will list where it is from and sometimes the price can vary a lot. I assume that this is because of the way they are captured, and the health that each location may provide or maybe the colors are dull or brighter.
but let’s say for example if I want a desjardinii sailfin tang, one from Sri Lanka may cost a little more than one from Kenya… and so on.
im Currently looking to buy a group of anthias and the location they come from makes a big difference in the total price considering I want 7-10 of them. Should I care?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a Caribean species tank once, so I was interested in the origin of fish and corals. So species tank is one possible reason

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a Caribean species tank once, so I was interested in the origin of fish and corals. So species tank is one possible reason
I can understand that, but i really feel it must have something to do with the health of the fish or the methods as to how they are collected. I’ve heard nasso tangs are not as healthy as they once were but the location most are now coming from are different ? The anthias I am looking at are roughly $40 for ea or $60 each depending on the location they are from. That’s a big difference.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article of Jay's should help:

OP
OP
mrpontiac80

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This article of Jay's should help:

Great article I probably read in the past and forgot about. Thanks!

Cheese Griller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Collection method plays a role, since it impacts the general health of the fish you'll be receiving. Intraspecific variation also may impact price depending on species. You mentioned that you're purchasing antias, and lyretail males notoriously have different coloration depending on region of collection.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got to be honest, I'm sure there are reckless collection methods everywhere and it seems incredibly difficult to actually measure how humanely/ what methods were used...if you're concerned about cyanide being used, I'd just buy a fish that was pre QT'd since it would almost certainly die before the quarantine period was over if it were terminally injured. In regards to coloration, just buy fish you can see before purchasing if that's your primary concern. I think it's more of a way to charge more without any real evidence that the fish is worth more if I'm to be completely honest. Just a crazy made up example...if there were a total of 150 wild caught Desjardini Tangs caught and exported from Vanuatu, a shop would definitely want to charge more than one from anywhere else regardless of anything other than that fact (which you really don't have any reason to believe except for faith that they wouldn't lie and nobody would lie to them).

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Typically collection area determines the final price through
1) collection/handling/facilities/shipping costs
2) currency exchange rates/cost of living for area of collection
3) health/quality of specimen

The majority of the fish in our hobby are very cheap on the collection side of things (several dollars) but you have to account for the amount of times the fish changes hands as it makes its way to its final destination. Each change of hands means profit must be made leading to additional cost to the end consumer. So any combination of these variables can influence the final price. The diver might charge more in Australia than Indonesia, or the fish had to go through 10 facilities vs direct from diver.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back