Fish Recommendations Please

Miss.Shelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, this weekend I set up my first saltwater tank, a 16 gallon Biocube. I can definitely say, it was an adventure! While the tank is cycling, I have been researching fish compatible with small tanks, and compatible with other fish/invertebrates without overloading the tank o_O can you say information overload?!
So, I'm looking for input, advice, and information please :)

When I look at the tank, I can definitely see a cleaner shrimp and a peppermint shrimp or pom-pom crab in the tank as well as some snails, nassarius or cerith. I can also definitely see 2 or 3 small fish, and that's about it (other than some soft and LPS coral)... The fish is where I am conflicted on lol I know I can put in two clowns, or a couple of firefish but I kind of want something different. I saw a yellow banded possum wrasse while buying live rock and fell in love! but what can I put with it? I also read that it could prey on the other invertebrates in the tank. So, I came to you guys for help.

I know I am limited on space, but I would really appreciate your help and knowledge!!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The possum wrasse will.mostly eat.very small tiny inverts.
Lol. Should be good. They can be finicky and hard to get to eat so being the 1st fish would be a good choice.
Your gonna want to look at gobys and blennys.
Maybe a small hawkfish if you can find one
Hths
D

dunhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really think about adding a pistol shrimp and a watchman goby. They are really fun to watch together and with a small tank link that wont get lost. also if you pair them with fire fish no one will get scared so they will be out more. Clowns could work with them too but I would advise against maroon clowns because they get too big and are too aggressive.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at all the teeny weeny gobies (not the larger sand sifter types), as they come in so many colors and they tend to be peaceful with each other. Examples:
Green Banded
Red Headed (quite different!)
Red Striped (Trimma)
Yellow Clown of course
Red Banded or High Fin
Yellow or Blue Neon Gobies

I have no less than 8 fish in my 14 gallon cube, and except for the female Fire Clown, they are all tiny. The clown doesn't bother them one bit as I guess it simply doesn't view them as a threat. (That wasn't the case with my Royal Gramma, Pink Streak/Cryptic Wrasse or male Fire Clown. It came to harass all of them). The other cool thing about keeping such small gobies is that they give a sense of scale to a smaller tank, making it look bigger than it really is.

TriggersAmuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS: I wouldn't worry one bit about the tinier wrasses being a threat, namely the possum, Tanaka, and Cryptic (Pink Streak) ones. Heck, they won't even bother each other. The only smaller common wrasse which I have seen get aggressive is the Sixline. Also, beware the very colorful and seemingly cute Diadema and Purple Dottybacks....they have teeth and attitude! (Not to be confused with the Orchid Dottyback which is pretty peaceful).

OP
OP
M

Miss.Shelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TriggersAmuck You're tank is beautiful! I love the bubble tip, and your sassy clown lol funny enough I was looking at maybe a couple of red stripe gobies. I think they are so cute cause they are tiny ❤️ I was also looking into an orchid dottyback but I read they need at least 30 gallons. Could I get a away with one of those in a 16 gallon?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orchid kind of went rogue after I had it a year. It attacked another fish and killed my cleaner shrimp.

Yes it was a true orchid, captive bred by ORA.

I am not sure if this is typical though or if I got unlucky. It got replaced with a gramma.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love clowns so I would always recommend them, especially if you are a beginner to SW, but possum wrasses have been known to be easy to keep and stay very small. But then that would rule out the possibility of getting clowns later on.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of great suggestions already. I'd add that if you like wrasses, but are worried about them eating things (which is a big worry---believe me), look into the various Fairy wrasses. They are beautiful (particularly the male flasher ones---I know, sounds bad) and very peaceful as long as you only get one of a type and gender. They can be a bit pricey though, so I wouldn't get one until you're sure your tank is stable.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%

Back