Fish Shortage?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, with many flights being cancelled, has anyone seen or noticed fish shortages? Visited a few LFS and they were mostly empty. They said because planes are grounded so we can’t get anything in. Has anyone seen this start to take hold yet? I live close to where these fish come from so it’s a shock to me. Haven’t seen this ever. But oddly, I did see coral shipments coming in.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here most lfs are completely closed or only open for collecting dry goods. Nearly all commercial flights are cancelled.

There are some online shops still selling but delivery companies keep changing their mind as to whether they will deliver.

aherre07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand many of the exporters have stopped exporting fish for now. Many of the outgoing flights have been cancelled. I also spoke to a few suppliers/vendors within the US and they have mentioned that they can ship corals but cannot get away with shipping fish. I am not sure why they would not be able to ship fish while others can. It may be related to the fact that every state has different ordinances in place.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here most lfs are completely closed or only open for collecting dry goods. Nearly all commercial flights are cancelled.

There are some online shops still selling but delivery companies keep changing their mind as to whether they will deliver.
I guess the ocean is restocking itself at this moment.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand many of the exporters have stopped exporting fish for now. Many of the outgoing flights have been cancelled. I also spoke to a few suppliers/vendors within the US and they have mentioned that they can ship corals but cannot get away with shipping fish. I am not sure why they would not be able to ship fish while others can. It may be related to the fact that every state has different ordinances in place.
I’m close to many coral and fish importers. It’s odd focus that corals are coming in while fish aren’t. No clear consensus at this moment. From what I heard from many was Indo has approved the export of many corals and many wholesalers have already purchased them so they were paid for. Whereas fish are just fish and aren’t farmed. I see lots of mariculture tags so I believe it that scenario.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought from LA/DD this week. But their stock is pretty low. I've looked at several other online sources and most aren't shipping.

Our local LFS is essential items only, one customer in the store at a time.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hadn't heard about this. Following

Champ128

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know part of it has to do with the shipping disruptions. Some of the suppliers have had to discontinue guarantees due to the fact the shipping companies are prioritizing essential goods. I know of at least one person whose livestock was basically sitting on a loading dock due to it not being essential. I’m sure this would keep many LFS from taking the chance.

James Johnson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer is obvious, fish take more water and result in low profit, corals can be shipped in little to no water and are high profit, if flights are limited what would you go with?

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to buy fish during this whole thing and its tough. Very few online shops getting fish, and they don't seem to be getting their normal quantities. Like many, I have a lot more time on my hands, so this is the time to QT! LOL

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Some stores in the Midwest are low. The issue is, with the active virus, many airlines and their cargo sector have reduced flights and import has been scarce.
This should make places like Hawaii happy since they attempted to ban fish collecting. This would have reduced collection.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes same here in my area, Corals yes Fish nope.
My LFS just set up a new section of tanks, unfortunately it was a mute point as they cant get fish to put in them. So they also drained the top row of a different section. Going for majorly needed maintenance on them, the lower rack is next but they still have a dozen clowns, a Trigger and a Grouper in that section.

The fresh water section seems fairly full at the moment.

Lp1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish food for me. Frozen brine is non existent in my area. I do hatch napauli but my Antheas prefer adult live brine or frozen. Trying to keep them happy has been a challenge as of late!

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish that are common have been plentiful. But those that are only wild caught have been harder to come by. In particular, leopard wrasses have been hard to come by. Of course, right when I wanted a pair... lol.

Kenneth Hooper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, with many flights being cancelled, has anyone seen or noticed fish shortages? Visited a few LFS and they were mostly empty. They said because planes are grounded so we can’t get anything in. Has anyone seen this start to take hold yet? I live close to where these fish come from so it’s a shock to me. Haven’t seen this ever. But oddly, I did see coral shipments coming in.
Yep!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw one store trying to do a small order for fish, you would have to pick them up as soon as they came from the wholesaler outside the store. They did not have a price list but they said to expect to pay 2-4x regular retail price and suggested only expert keepers who have the means to quarantine themselves should consider buying.

I would guess whatever small stocks are left at stores would still be available at regular retail price since they would have been bought pre pandemic - and also be very healthy since nothing new has been added in many weeks, but at the same time I would not judge a store for jacking up the prices if the option is that or go out of business.

I saw Walt Smith post on facebook that Fiji is having one air cargo flight a week - one for the whole country not just fish. NZ>AUS>LAX.

Fish are going to go up in price for sure because freight will go up, but when things open back up again be it the end of this year or next year, we may see an initial sale surge to get things going again. Really that's too far away to predict. Personally I would absolutely love to see any new fish swimming around, especially since I'm looking at my tanks all day but I don't really see that happening anytime soon or even in the not too distant future.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back