Fish Shortage?

oceans garden aquaculture

Oceans garden aquaculture
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can attest to the above statements concerning livestock shipping. It hasn't been safe to import anything from overseas. With major distribution centers being in California, even shipping out domestic aqua cultured animals is complicated for the time being.

Arsis Knight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not what I thought my first post would be about, but I've been quietly planning a build for about a year, slowly collecting everything I needed, and just when I'm about done and setting up the hardware, bam, no fish.

My entire stocking wishlist is out everywhere, so it might be quite the paperweight for a while.

:(

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One LFS recently closed and other is very busy for dry and frozen goods. Livestock basically all gone with no RE supply for the moment. HE’S VERY PLEASED WITH ALL THE DRY GOOD SALES AND MAKUP WHICH IS USUALLY DOMINATED BY ON=LINE.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS in Chicago are still getting new fish in...not as frequently as before though. Maybe it's easier to ship to O'Hare given its a major hub.

Todd1white

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not my LFS. Just got two of my wishlist fish last Friday. Sez he’s getting me 3 Orange Storm clownfish this week. Not cheap but...
656364CD-4F59-4B0E-904F-7733833BFC4D.jpeg
5DFC1A18-4B69-4AB3-AF7F-33F803D81953.jpeg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also imagine that the warehouses are either closed, closing or running with a reduced crew. Shipping delays are a problem too. I ordered a nice SPS from divers den. Was supposed to arrive Thursday .... didn’t make it until Saturday.

Jordan@AmongTheReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are still able to get fish and coral, but imports are definitely limited and probably will be for the foreseeable future. The supply chain has been substantially interrupted and flights continue to be scarce, both domestically and internationally. We are still fully operational, but we are running a more streamline operation for social distancing purposes and as a result of the reduction in available livestock. Hope you're all staying safe and healthy!

Steve Blum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, with many flights being cancelled, has anyone seen or noticed fish shortages? Visited a few LFS and they were mostly empty. They said because planes are grounded so we can’t get anything in. Has anyone seen this start to take hold yet? I live close to where these fish come from so it’s a shock to me. Haven’t seen this ever. But oddly, I did see coral shipments coming in.
THEY ARE NOT AFFECTED BY AIRLINE FLIGHTS AS ONLY PASSENGER FLIGHTS ARE AFFECTED. THE PROBLEM IS THE FISH COLLECTORS ARE NOT GOING OUT MUCH NOW. YOU CAN CHECK LIVEAQUARIA THEY DO GET SOME FISH EVERY WEEK BUT MUCH FEWE THAN NORMAL, AND FISH SIZES ARE HIT AND MISS

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, with many flights being cancelled, has anyone seen or noticed fish shortages? Visited a few LFS and they were mostly empty. They said because planes are grounded so we can’t get anything in. Has anyone seen this start to take hold yet? I live close to where these fish come from so it’s a shock to me. Haven’t seen this ever. But oddly, I did see coral shipments coming in.
Few wholesalers (mom&pop) mention on corals, because of the issues you mention, when next shipments come in, there will be price increase from 50% to 150% depending what area of the world they're coming from. Bummer

clark griswold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely yes. Went to two LFS yesterday for dry goods. Definitely low supply on marine fish. Fresh was pretty stocked.

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a recent credit from Liveaquaria for a lost fish, I am seriously worried that I will be able to use it before it expires due to a lack of stock or just have to use it on something I don't really want since it seems the ORA stuff is still in good supply. Based on that and Fresh still being in supply my guess is the stuff coming out of Florida is still moving

Amberjade53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a store owner. The problem is Sea Dwelling is closed. Which is by far the distributor that stocks most stores. Quality Marine is still open but prices are higher now and quantity is not there. Prices will be 20 to 30% higher for the near future. Sucks as i have not had a shipment for two weeks. I am currently shutting down tanks no reason to run them in store in no fish.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably bc coral is much easier to aquaculture than fish

Amberjade53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THEY ARE NOT AFFECTED BY AIRLINE FLIGHTS AS ONLY PASSENGER FLIGHTS ARE AFFECTED. THE PROBLEM IS THE FISH COLLECTORS ARE NOT GOING OUT MUCH NOW. YOU CAN CHECK LIVEAQUARIA THEY DO GET SOME FISH EVERY WEEK BUT MUCH FEWE THAN NORMAL, AND FISH SIZES ARE HIT AND MISS
Liveaquaria gets their fish from one of the distributors in the US

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my LFS is now:
you park
they come out and take your order
they go back in and verify they have everything and bring you a price
you pay
they bring the order out
no idea what they have been getting in, if anything, for livestock.

MamaP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've experienced this shortage of livestock, too. I keep checking, but none of the ones I'm looking for are coming in. I was really hoping to be able to get my last few purchased and thru quarantine while working at home.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Thought I would chime in. I went to my three LFS Sunday and they are all open with modified hours. They said the same thing.... can't get fish, some wholesalers in the here are closed, planes aren't flying. They were all three having problems getting any fish so really low stock. They also had a poor selection of corals, and said the same thing about corals. I can't wait for things to get back to normal. I know my LFS are hurting right now due to no maintenance accounts because of obvious reasons etc. So I have been going once a week and buying things here and there....I am sure every little bit helps. I am not sure about online though. I am lucky to have excellent LFS by me, so I want to do what I can to help them stay in business!

Amberjade53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Thought I would chime in. I went to my three LFS Sunday and they are all open with modified hours. They said the same thing.... can't get fish, some wholesalers in the here are closed, planes aren't flying. They were all three having problems getting any fish so really low stock. They also had a poor selection of corals, and said the same thing about corals. I can't wait for things to get back to normal. I know my LFS are hurting right now due to no maintenance accounts because of obvious reasons etc. So I have been going once a week and buying th
We have alot of customers doing the same for us. WE REALLY APPRECIATE IT!!!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back