Fish Shortage?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would just like too add that look at the inflated prices that LA is charging and people are paying LOL!!!

Not sure why that would be funny? There is a shortage and they are trying to survive. Costs have gone up. Supply is limited. People still want fish. Some can afford, some cannot.

OP
OP
ScottR

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THEY ARE NOT AFFECTED BY AIRLINE FLIGHTS AS ONLY PASSENGER FLIGHTS ARE AFFECTED. THE PROBLEM IS THE FISH COLLECTORS ARE NOT GOING OUT MUCH NOW. YOU CAN CHECK LIVEAQUARIA THEY DO GET SOME FISH EVERY WEEK BUT MUCH FEWE THAN NORMAL, AND FISH SIZES ARE HIT AND MISS
Sorry but lots of cargo comes by way of passenger flights.

batfish5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why that would be funny? There is a shortage and they are trying to survive. Costs have gone up. Supply is limited. People still want fish. Some can afford, some cannot.
What a JOKE !!! I know that Petco is not going anywhere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually it's a form or price gouging since its during a time of crisis

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA/DD prices were already high before this. I am really not sure anything is much higher than it already was? I mostly stopped buying from them when the prices went up (months ago).

magic23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree LA?DD prices are absolutely ridiculous, I stopped buying from them, especially after they added a box fee. I am close to LAX, the stores are still full of supplies, fish are so so, corals ok. I was able to find a flame wrasse, black storm clown and rhomboidalis wrasse to finish stocking my 180g. The LFS had flames wrasse pair for $275, where it cost $550 from DD for just a male, or saw a blue spot jawfish for $70 compare to $240 DD. Caribbean and Hawaii fish are still coming around here.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is funny since you mentioned a box fee. Last week when my LFS got there order from Quality Marine shipped through Fedex, they had to pay a box fee. So the box fee is coming from QM which LA uses.

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is happening at my LFS also. I have went in multiple types to gather supplies, but they don’t have hardly any fish coming in. They said a lot of their suppliers shut down so it’s very difficult for them to get fish in.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am personally having a difficult time sourcing fish. There are a handful of smaller wholesalers still open, but the stock list is horrible. I just had an order show up. The fill rate was less than half. The prices were a bit more. Looking at other wholesalers that I don't normally order from the prices are much higher than I am used to paying. I'm trying to decide if my customers would rather not have fish in the store or pay twice the price that they are used to paying.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am personally having a difficult time sourcing fish. There are a handful of smaller wholesalers still open, but the stock list is horrible. I just had an order show up. The fill rate was less than half. The prices were a bit more. Looking at other wholesalers that I don't normally order from the prices are much higher than I am used to paying. I'm trying to decide if my customers would rather not have fish in the store or pay twice the price that they are used to paying.

As a consumer I dont want to pay more.
More than willing to wait untill things go back to normal.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are like me they'd rather wait than pay double.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be okay with a 5 to 10% temporary price bump due to having issues getting fish from their sources because of the pandemic

oceans garden aquaculture

Oceans garden aquaculture
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not what I thought my first post would be about, but I've been quietly planning a build for about a year, slowly collecting everything I needed, and just when I'm about done and setting up the hardware, bam, no fish.

My entire stocking wishlist is out everywhere, so it might be quite the paperweight for a while.

:(
We're doing everything we can to be ready to rock and roll as soon as shipping is deemed safe. You should definitely check out reefs4less.com and keep an eye here. I will be singing praise from the virtual mountain tops once we open lol

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be okay with a 5 to 10% temporary price bump due to having issues getting fish from their sources because of the pandemic

Understand but the problem here is the price wont come down.
If I were in the retail business I would raise the price when I could and not come down.
Its just the way it is, it takes a while to get profit up, with every price increase you will loose customers, so its a nasty game.
So when a retailer gets an opertunity like this why not make lemonade, with free lemmons.

I am trying to help out my LFS and buy dry goods and stock up on stuff I dont need right now to help him get through this.
In the end if his livestock pricing increases, I will look around for pricing.
I have ordered livestock twice on line so far.
Honestly the online retailer has better products.
My LFS is ok but there is a lot of Ich and not so healthy fish.
But if his prices go higher well I will be forced to go elsewhare.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just got a email from my LFS store which is great by the way:
If stores are gouging because of a crisis I believe that is illegal in some states.. These prices seem to be coming from the suppliers though not retail..

"We continue to remain open our regular hours, Daily 10am to 6pm, Sundays Noon to 5pm. All is well here and hope the same is true with all of you!

So it's not quite business as usual as fish availability is terrible. Limited flights, closed suppliers, restrictions by our government as well as governments from around the world....all are making this challenging. We are working hard to keep our tanks full by ordering from 6 - 8 different suppliers weekly. Over the years we have developed good relationships with these vendors and we appreciate how they are now trying their best to give us a decent variety. Freshwater pricing has been the same for the most part, but saltwater has seen a substantial increase on some items.We have reduced our markup on many items just to try and keep the price increases lower to you. We intend to continue to offer you the best variety possible at the best pricing you have grown to expect! Fulfilling requests has been the biggest challenge, thank you for your understanding!"

I allot of the time order my fish through him, I do buy some form in stock but allot of the fish I get he orders for me.

Last edited:

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is one aspect that many are missing. If you look at several post here on R2r you will see people having their orders lost because of shipping issues. If that happens who gets stuck with the bill? Your online supplier most times, so up go the cost to cover the losses. Plus since sales are down, prices have to be raised to cover operating cost. No one has stopped charging for electricity, salt, water, equipment repair, and property taxes. My sister in law has a Flower Shop (Which she is Losing Money Now) but at Valentines day she has twice as many orders. But with the increase in cost for flowers, hiring more drivers for delivery she probably breaks even after everything is paid for. The best thing we can do right now is sit tight and wait for everything to get back to normal.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely wait for me! Patience is the back bone of this hobby. This will be over and the prices will drop.

Unless you have a customer who wants you to special order something, but that depends on if you want to pay the higher prices.

One out of the three stores are great on corals and inverts, one is good on inverts and so-so on corals, and the third is just low stock on everything! It seems from others on here coral for the most part is ok. Have you noticed that too?

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is one aspect that many are missing. If you look at several post here on R2r you will see people having their orders lost because of shipping issues. If that happens who gets stuck with the bill? Your online supplier most times, so up go the cost to cover the losses. Plus since sales are down, prices have to be raised to cover operating cost. No one has stopped charging for electricity, salt, water, equipment repair, and property taxes. My sister in law has a Flower Shop (Which she is Losing Money Now) but at Valentines day she has twice as many orders. But with the increase in cost for flowers, hiring more drivers for delivery she probably breaks even after everything is paid for. The best thing we can do right now is sit tight and wait for everything to get back to normal.

This is a true statement only if the seller did not insure the package.
I would hope that they would do so.
If insured the shipping company will pay for the loss.
When they get the money back after the claim can be an issue.

The tragedy here is the loss of the livestock, and I feel we need to hold off buying livestock until the shippers system stabilizes.

To many people don't consider fish and coral as valuable like other animals.

Sorry I don't mean to offend anyone here but you have to have your head in the sand if you don't understand the shipping issues lately.

So you all can hate on me I can take it, and will gladly defend the point to the end.

But just know your the responsible one for the loss of life because you cant wait a month or two knowing full well the chances of the livestock arriving on time right now is a gamble.

Yea you can ease your guilt, and blame every one else especially USPS, UPS, or FedEx is to blame and at fault. But every site I go to to have things shipped and delivered to me
clearly state in highlighted bold letters state DELAYS and longer times, because they are overwhelmed.

So are they the ones to blame or is it you?
Truth hurts so deal with it and wait.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back