Fish Shortage?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a JOKE !!! I know that Petco is not going anywhere

I wouldn’t be so sure about that .... at least as pertains to the physical stores.

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a true statement only if the seller did not insure the package.
I would hope that they would do so.
If insured the shipping company will pay for the loss.
When they get the money back after the claim can be an issue.

The tragedy here is the loss of the livestock, and I feel we need to hold off buying livestock until the shippers system stabilizes.

To many people don't consider fish and coral as valuable like other animals.

Sorry I don't mean to offend anyone here but you have to have your head in the sand if you don't understand the shipping issues lately.

So you all can hate on me I can take it, and will gladly defend the point to the end.

But just know your the responsible one for the loss of life because you cant wait a month or two knowing full well the chances of the livestock arriving on time right now is a gamble.

Yea you can ease your guilt, and blame every one else especially USPS, UPS, or FedEx is to blame and at fault. But every site I go to to have things shipped and delivered to me
clearly state in highlighted bold letters state DELAYS and longer times, because they are overwhelmed.

So are they the ones to blame or is it you?
Truth hurts so deal with it and wait.
Your last paragraph trumped your first. Shipping companies are telling you they can not guarantee overnight. Look at the following post #29 R2R reefer paid for overnight, but did not get it.
But your right we all just need to wait and protect the animals/fish.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your last paragraph trumped your first. Shipping companies are telling you they can not guarantee overnight. Look at the following post #29 R2R reefer paid for overnight, but did not get it.
But your right we all just need to wait and protect the animals/fish.

Right and he the shipper would not be charged for overnight if they did not get it.
The seller/shipper would then have to reimburse the buyer, or ship a replacement order.

If the buyer receives the shipment but not on time the buyer is entitled to be reimbursed the difference in shipping costs.

Several times I have paid for overnight and did not get it within the time frame I paid for. I have always been reimbursed the difference, or did not have to pay for shipping at all.

Last edited:

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely wait for me! Patience is the back bone of this hobby. This will be over and the prices will drop.

Unless you have a customer who wants you to special order something, but that depends on if you want to pay the higher prices.

One out of the three stores are great on corals and inverts, one is good on inverts and so-so on corals, and the third is just low stock on everything! It seems from others on here coral for the most part is ok. Have you noticed that too?
Yeah, What you are saying seems pretty accurate. Allot of inverts are collected off of the US coasts. Allot of coral is aquacultured. The issues the industry is experiencing with livestock at the moment is directly due to the lack of international flights.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You cant insure corals and fish anyway.

My question would be who can't insure livestock?
The shipper is what I think your referencing here? This may be true, I have never shipped a live creature so I don't know the rules.

But the seller in the end will wind up with the tab, the buyer will wind up frustrated.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My question would be who can't insure livestock?
The shipper is what I think your referencing here? This may be true, I have never shipped a live creature so I don't know the rules.

But the seller in the end will wind up with the tab, the buyer will wind up frustrated.

Been a while since I shipped anything but as far as I know Fed EX and UPS wont insure livestock for the aquarium ever. Basically you can not take out insurance for fish or coral shipped either UPS or Fed Ex.

Right now overnight shipping is not guaranteed to be there overnight either I believe.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, What you are saying seems pretty accurate. Allot of inverts are collected off of the US coasts. Allot of coral is aquacultured. The issues the industry is experiencing with livestock at the moment is directly due to the lack of international flights.

This is absolutely true.

Only thing is we still get a good chunk of coral from the wild, LPS especially.
There still are chop shops around.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the current state of things, the fish I can still get are:

-Captive Bred Ocellaris Clowns (always available, and now in somewhat reduced but still reasonable quantities)

-Pajama Cardinals (reduced stock but still available)

-Flame Hawkfish (greatly reduced stock)

-One Spot Foxface (regular Foxface Lo and a couple other spaces are usually available in decent quantities, this one maybe I’ll wait until May or June for more stock)

-Australian Stripeys (I can get ones from fellow reefers that catch them at the coast, or go down to the coast and collect them myself)

That’s most of the fish on my list. The fish I am really holding out for is a Marine Betta. I just have to have one.

Corals, I don’t know. Many beginning reef keepers in China go straight for SPS and LPS. Maybe they don’t mind the maintenance but I want to play it safe and stick to only Mushrooms and Leathers for my first tank. Corals are still coming in decent quantities BTW.

If I showed you guys here on how some hobbyists in my place stock their reef tanks, you’d gasp in horror just like me. Many put in a Yellow Tang or a Pacific Regal Blue, or both as their FIRST fish. Including 60 cubes and 80 cubes. They don’t even look at the max sizes of these fish and heck even when they’re small I’d do at least a 4-foot tank for a Yellow Tang (5 foot and above as it grows) and I would not put a Dory in anything under a 7 foot tank. One seller (not my LFS) told me a Foxface Lo (not a OSF) would work in a 75-gallon tank. I decided to only ever consider the purchase of equipment from them afterwards.

I know one guy who keeps multiple butterflies in a 4-foot tank, not only that, some of them are Chelmon / Chelmonops butterflies. Somehow he manages to keep them alive.

Another online seller suggested a Desjardini Sailfin Tang as my first fish when I was considering only smaller tanks a couple months ago.

The hobby’s pretty new here. Most people from what it seems just see “wow? Nice fish” or “wow, beautiful coral” or just let some of the less reputable sellers recommend whatever they want to sell (Six-Line Wrasse as the first fish in a community tank, anyone?).

One time when I was still looking for an LFS, I came across an online seller who posted videos of some of his tanks. I told him “hey, I see Ich on that angelfish (it was a large angel)” and he never talked to me again.

Fortunately my current LFS is much better both attitude wise and in terms of their practices. I really do hope the virus makes a lot of these sellers with less than reputable methods go out of business.

One guy on a Chinese forum posted a video of his tank, presumably an 80 cube. A Yellow Tang, Regal Blue, Scopas, as well as a couple of dwarf angels all squeezed into one tank.

Not to go overly off topic, but I really wish for the economic impact of the virus to force these bad sellers to go out of business.

I’m sure it’s not just here, that it’s everywhere, but the type of buyer some of these stores like is not the guy who’s kept his Clownfish pair for over 20 years. They like the guy who chooses a Borbonius Anthias or Moorish Idol as his first fish, it dies, he never bothers knowing why, but goes back to the store assuming he was “unlucky” and buys another one.

One of the sellers, when I told her that some fish can live for over 10, or even over 20 years, she condescendingly said to me: “Oh, is that so?”

Last edited:

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Kole Tang and a Potters Angel in the same 6X2X2 tank, big sump and a total calculated water volume at 235G.

They are actually compatible and are most often together picking at the rockwork.
They chase each other as if the are playing but I have never seen damage to done to either fish. The Kole is smaller but the one who chases most often.

My tank is just three months old, and is not to heavily stocked.
Corals
2 Acros maybe 4 inches (Added yesterday 4-22-20)
2 Zoas 1 golf ball size 1 large shooter marble sized.
1 5 head Blasto
1 Elegance 4 inches across
1 Green hammer tennis ball size (Growing fast doubled in size in less than a month)
1 Green Apple Scoly
6-7 mushroom heads. (that also have been growing rapidly was three two months ago)

Fish
1 Kole Tang
1 Potters Angel
1 Banggai Cardinal
2 Snowflake Clowns
2 Lubbock wrasse 1 Male and 1 Female.

Inverts
Three Peppermint shrimp, that escaped from the DT into the sump.
18 Trochus snails 9 huge and 9 small

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most of the local shops have slim pickings for fish and the websites most people use dont have many fish at the moment either this is something we are all just gonna have to deal with

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why that would be funny? There is a shortage and they are trying to survive. Costs have gone up. Supply is limited. People still want fish. Some can afford, some cannot.
No sorry LA/DD/Petco does not get to play that excuse. Every since Petco took over they have constantly been jacking prices, charging for boxes, refusing refunds and of course because of Petco charge sales tax to everyone. Plus quality has continually gone down hill long before the 19.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is going to get worse.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did get what I wanted from LA a few weeks ago but 3/6 dead and the box arrived at 10am via UPS. That's about the only fish I have bought in a while except an angel and basslet locally just before 19 kicked in. The local Orlando stores I have not visited in a while and don't know the deal but the 2 main ones have no shortage of overpriced online coral "sales" lol. I looked at TSA and WWC sales both and just laughed as even on sale they are still delusional. WWC is not too bad on Ebay but you can bet on the tiniest of pieces. Just got an order from AquaSD yesterday with 23 (plus 3 free pieces with a nice alveopora) very nice pieces much cheaper and much larger than anything from the locals. If people would wise up about where they shop and the prices they pay we would all be much better off. Not going to pay 3-4x what something is worth just so some local shop can build yet another display tank and brag about it on R2R even if I do have the money to spend. The CA stores will always have the advantage getting Pacific livestock but they also get that lower prices leads to higher volume and as much or more money.

I do agree that the lack of airline flights is a big problem for air cargo. But... one thing that happened with the airline bailout is that they are not allowed to cut routes to less profitable locations but they can cut the number of flights. Bottom line for retail though is that I have gotten multiple shipments of fish and coral from CA, via UPS, with no delays. Well not too crazy about AquaSD 1-2 week shipping times but for the prices I'm not yelling too loud. I've also gotten a ton of stuff from Amazon, aquarium related and otherwise, and have not had any shipping issues other than maybe 2 days will be 3 on occasion. Of course based on the stuff I have been buying there does not seem to be any shortage of Indo and Aussie corals.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a email from my LFS store which is great by the way:
If stores are gouging because of a crisis I believe that is illegal in some states.. These prices seem to be coming from the suppliers though not retail..

"We continue to remain open our regular hours, Daily 10am to 6pm, Sundays Noon to 5pm. All is well here and hope the same is true with all of you!

So it's not quite business as usual as fish availability is terrible. Limited flights, closed suppliers, restrictions by our government as well as governments from around the world....all are making this challenging. We are working hard to keep our tanks full by ordering from 6 - 8 different suppliers weekly. Over the years we have developed good relationships with these vendors and we appreciate how they are now trying their best to give us a decent variety. Freshwater pricing has been the same for the most part, but saltwater has seen a substantial increase on some items.We have reduced our markup on many items just to try and keep the price increases lower to you. We intend to continue to offer you the best variety possible at the best pricing you have grown to expect! Fulfilling requests has been the biggest challenge, thank you for your understanding!"

I allot of the time order my fish through him, I do buy some form in stock but allot of the fish I get he orders for me.

Best Fish?

Love them guys!

Lionsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After weighing the options I ordered a Bellus Angel from TSM Aquatics that will be delivered tomorrow morning. I'm working from home so this is the perfect time to get a fish I've been looking for. TSM seems to be one of the few online retailers to have a decent amount of stock at "normal" pricing. Hopefully there will be no issues with flights and on time delivery. I called them first before ordering and they indicated flights (FedEX) should not be an issue.

Bassmaster116

IDK what im doing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would just like too add that look at the inflated prices that LA is charging and people are paying LOL!!!
i just got an order from LA not inflated and everything is all good. peppermint shrimp some hermits chromis and vorlik’s wrasse. also scored a clown tang from a different site!

reefshawn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes... local selections are tiny and are not growing, and most of the online retailers seem to have very little selection now. Everybody seems to be overflowing with coral though.

Lionsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Bellus Angel arrived this morning right on-time and is happy eating frozen food in my observation tank. Beautiful fish!
bellus 042320 zoom.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back