Fish Stocking Help

Tpine1402

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently started cycling my 44 gallon Pentagon FOWLR. Before I go and buy any fish and over stock the tank I would like to know if my fish stock wish list is reasonable. I would like to know if the fish are compatible and if they will all fit, also which fish to remove or add. Thank you!
1 Coral Beauty
1 Midas Blenny
1 Dwarf Lion
2 Ocellaris Clowns
2 Banggai Cardinals

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I would strongly urge you to either set up a quarantine tank, or run the tank with no inverts so you can dose copper when (not if!) you need it.

The dwarf lion, if not sized properly could eat the clowns. I’m not a big fan of coral beauties, they can be very delicate.

Jay

OP
OP
Tpine1402

Tpine1402

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I would strongly urge you to either set up a quarantine tank, or run the tank with no inverts so you can dose copper when (not if!) you need it.

The dwarf lion, if not sized properly could eat the clowns. I’m not a big fan of coral beauties, they can be very delicate.

Jay
Is there any other species of dwarf Angel that is more hardy then coral beauties? I’m completely open to any and all suggestions of stocking I just really want a dwarf Angel as my center piece.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any other species of dwarf Angel that is more hardy then coral beauties? I’m completely open to any and all suggestions of stocking I just really want a dwarf Angel as my center piece.
Flame angels, due to their collection locality, have fewer capture/handling issues than coral beauties. You might consider one of the suppliers that will ship prequarantined fish to you, there are a couple in the vendor section here I think.
Jay

OP
OP
Tpine1402

Tpine1402

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay
Flame angels, due to their collection locality, have fewer capture/handling issues than coral beauties. You might consider one of the suppliers that will ship prequarantined fish to you, there are a couple in the vendor section here I think.
Jay
Thank you very much Jay!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dwarf lion, I would leave for a larger tank as it may become a predator in smaller tank having an easier opportunity to catch a live meal

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on dimensions, you could possibly keep a dwarf lion (fuzzy, fu, but I wouldn't do zebra) in a 44 gallon. But, you would have to build the tank around it. Smaller fish can be meals. A dwarf angel may work, again - depending on dimensions.

I would skip the lion, and the rest is pretty reasonable.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For smaller tanks, you can’t get a prettier fish than a mccoskers flasher wrasse. They aren’t like halichoeres and won’t eat everything in site.

Although, I’m of the belief that every tank should have an h chrysus. They have wayyy too much important utility, are very active, keep most all nuisance pests at bay, and look good too.

Woodchip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a blue fin angle but it might get too big

Fishagent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently started cycling my 44 gallon Pentagon FOWLR. Before I go and buy any fish and over stock the tank I would like to know if my fish stock wish list is reasonable. I would like to know if the fish are compatible and if they will all fit, also which fish to remove or add. Thank you!
1 Coral Beauty
1 Midas Blenny
1 Dwarf Lion
2 Ocellaris Clowns
2 Banggai Cardinals
I would skip the dwarf lion, its a predator in small body, who needs the worry. Lemonpeel dwarf angels are pretty and relatively hardy. Your list is otherwise fine, the clowns should be added last. If your looking for a signature fish to replace the lion, may I suggest a small tassle filefish. They are slow moving, peaceful and really cool looking. I had a really big one that I considered a kind of poor man's sea dragon (in the sense of the camoflage adaptation, I mean).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • None.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back