Fish Stocking List Ideas

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning out my new build and looking for input on the fish. The tank is going to be a 60"x48"24" set up in a peninsula configuration, roughly 300 gallons without rock/sand. The only fish I'm planning on putting in there from my current tank is my fox face, a school of 5 chromis that actually get along with each other, and a bi color blenny that has a great personality. I'm more about coral so don't know much about the fish side of the hobby so recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I like a lot of color and movement but can appreciate the lazy fish as well - love flame hawk fish.

So far, I know I want:
Fox face - currently have
5 Chromis - Currently have
Bocolor blenny - Maybe?
5-6 tangs - is the tank big enough for this many with the fox face?
3-5 anthias?
2-3 wrasse- can I have this many?
2 fancy clowns
Flame hawk fish - tanks going to be acrylic so snail only clean up crew
File fish or copper band butterfly for aptaisa control
Gobys?

My main rock scape is going to be a minimalist island in the center with plenty of caves and hiding spots. My plan is to keep the perimeter of the tank mostly open for swimming space.

Filtration will be a synergy reef 60" sump with 2 reef roller 1200s and a aquamax cone s q5 skimmer.

All recommendations welcome, even if not on the stocking list since I'm still in the planning phase. Also, recommendations on when to add, I'm going to get 2-3 10-gallon QT tanks and 1 20 gallons for larger fish.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning out my new build and looking for input on the fish. The tank is going to be a 60"x48"24" set up in a peninsula configuration, roughly 300 gallons without rock/sand. The only fish I'm planning on putting in there from my current tank is my fox face, a school of 5 chromis that actually get along with each other, and a bi color blenny that has a great personality. I'm more about coral so don't know much about the fish side of the hobby so recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I like a lot of color and movement but can appreciate the lazy fish as well - love flame hawk fish.

So far, I know I want:
Fox face - currently have
5 Chromis - Currently have
Bocolor blenny - Maybe?
5-6 tangs - is the tank big enough for this many with the fox face?
3-5 anthias?
2-3 wrasse- can I have this many?
2 fancy clowns
Flame hawk fish - tanks going to be acrylic so snail only clean up crew
File fish or copper band butterfly for aptaisa control
Gobys?

My main rock scape is going to be a minimalist island in the center with plenty of caves and hiding spots. My plan is to keep the perimeter of the tank mostly open for swimming space.

Filtration will be a synergy reef 60" sump with 2 reef roller 1200s and a aquamax cone s q5 skimmer.

All recommendations welcome, even if not on the stocking list since I'm still in the planning phase. Also, recommendations on when to add, I'm going to get 2-3 10-gallon QT tanks and 1 20 gallons for larger fish.
SCHOOLING BUTTERFLYFISH!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't comment on everything but with 300g you have a lot of options. Couple wrasses you want is easy with that space. Get something like a yellow coris or 6 line that are utilitarian and eat pests in your tank. I have 4 wrasses currently. I'm sure someone with a large tank can give you tang advice on which ones get along and which don't. I think some small schooling fish mixed in with your larger fish looks really cool too.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't comment on everything but with 300g you have a lot of options. Couple wrasses you want is easy with that space. Get something like a yellow coris or 6 line that are utilitarian and eat pests in your tank. I have 4 wrasses currently. I'm sure someone with a large tank can give you tang advice on which ones get along and which don't. I think some small schooling fish mixed in with your larger fish looks really cool too.
I like the smaller schooling fish, besides the chromis and anthias do you have any recommendations? I'm not a huge fan of cardinal fish, I have 3 pajamas right now that I'll be rehoming when I get the new tank.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the smaller schooling fish, besides the chromis and anthias do you have any recommendations? I'm not a huge fan of cardinal fish, I have 3 pajamas right now that I'll be rehoming when I get the new tank.
Although somewhat shy, even a group of 4 or 5 firefish will school together and are completely peaceful.

You really want to focus on variety so you have top swimmers, mid tank cruisers and bottomed dwellers so everything has its space and its a healthy non stress environment.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals will you focus on, and how picky are you going to be about any coral nipping?

With the copperband, there is some risk for example.

If it's mostly SPS, I would put a large angel in there. Maybe an emperor. Dwarf angels too.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What corals will you focus on, and how picky are you going to be about any coral nipping?

With the copperband, there is some risk for example.

If it's mostly SPS, I would put a large angel in there. Maybe an emperor. Dwarf angels too.
It will mainly be sps, but will have assorted softies and LPS. Id say 70% SPS. Luckily my wife works from home and loves to feed the fish, so she could feed more often if coral nipping becomes an issue. I do really like angle fish. I know for tangs I'd like to try and get an achilies tang, love the black and red, kole tang, purple tang maybe, and possibly try a naso tang.

For angles besides the emperor, could I do like a flame angle and coral beauty? will the bigger angles bully the smaller fish? I want this to be a community tank feel with the stocking.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've put some more thought into it. Below is what I think I will get. Its a heavy stocking list but my wife loves the fish. The tank size is changing to a 8'x30"x24" 300 gallons.

Tangs
Naso
Tomini
Sailfin
Yellow or Purple
Achilles
Kole

Wrasse
Yellow Coris x2
Fairy Wrasse x2
Flasher Wrasse x2

Swimmers
Chromis x10
Anthias x5 (1 male 4 female)

Bottom
Sand sifting Goby x2?
Yellow watchman

Misc.
Copper band butterfly
File fish
Flame Hawk
Blenny
Fancy Clowns x2

So this will be 36 fish in total.

I plan on having sand obviously for the wrasse and the gobys, going to get about 200lb of rock and do a negative space aqua scape and create lots of caves, arches, but also leave a good 1/4 of the tank mostly open for swimming. Plan is to do my main built up rock structure on half the tank and then create a "drop off" feel as it gets to the center of the tank to provide more open swimming space. Probably make low caves and structures in the open area, maybe some shelving rock?

The only fish I'm concerned about is the harlequin tusk, the Achillies tang, the purple tang if I can't stomach the $250 price tag of a yellow, and the sail fin. Do you think these will get along with everything else listed?

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've put some more thought into it. Below is what I think I will get. Its a heavy stocking list but my wife loves the fish. The tank size is changing to a 8'x30"x24" 300 gallons.

Tangs
Naso
Tomini
Sailfin
Yellow or Purple
Achilles
Kole

Wrasse
Yellow Coris x2
Fairy Wrasse x2
Flasher Wrasse x2

Swimmers
Chromis x10
Anthias x5 (1 male 4 female)

Bottom
Sand sifting Goby x2?
Yellow watchman

Misc.
Copper band butterfly
File fish
Flame Hawk
Blenny
Fancy Clowns x2

So this will be 36 fish in total.

I plan on having sand obviously for the wrasse and the gobys, going to get about 200lb of rock and do a negative space aqua scape and create lots of caves, arches, but also leave a good 1/4 of the tank mostly open for swimming. Plan is to do my main built up rock structure on half the tank and then create a "drop off" feel as it gets to the center of the tank to provide more open swimming space. Probably make low caves and structures in the open area, maybe some shelving rock?

The only fish I'm concerned about is the harlequin tusk, the Achillies tang, the purple tang if I can't stomach the $250 price tag of a yellow, and the sail fin. Do you think these will get along with everything else listed?
Oh forgot the coral beauty angle and the flame angle. Wanted an emperor but I like the Naso tangs more. I think the Naso and the Achillies will be my center piece fish.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got my list cleaned up a little more after talking with @vetteguy53081 for the tangs and @SaltyT for the wrasse. I think I have a pretty decent list now with the color and movement I'm looking for. Debating in taking the tank up to 30" tall and just get good with forceps with coral placement. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I'm not a tall guy so if I went 30" tall it would be hard to reach the bottom, but I also want to give the best space for the fish.

The list I have introduced in groups will be:

Group 1 after fishless cycle:
Chromis group - Maybe 5
Flame Angle
Starting CUC

Group 2:
Blonde Naso Tang
Orange Shoulder Tang
Fox Face

Group 3:
Yellow or Red Coris Wrasse
Earmuff Wrasse
Radiant Wrasse

Group 4:
Copper Band
File Fish
CUC

Group 5:
Tomini Tang
Chocolate Tang
Atlantic Blue or Gem tang

Group 6:
5-7 Lyretail Anthias

Group 7:
Red lined wrasse
Lepard Wrasse
Melanurus wrasse
CUC

Group 8:
Flame Hawk
Longnose Hawk
Goby Gang - 2-3 gobies

Group 9:
Yellow eyed Kole or White tail tang
White Cheek Tang
Coral Beauty Angle

Group 10:
Clown Pair with anemone
Mandarin Pair
CUC

I believe everything I have listed will get along and the groupings I have will cut back on aggression. I'm doing smaller groups since I only have 2 10 gallon and 1 20 long I plan on using for QT following @Jay Hemdal QT procedure.

If you made it this far are there any recommendations on what I should change? Or fish you would swap with something else and why?

Filtration is a Bashsea 60" pro sump with a reef factory L roller, a redsea 900ss skimmer (got a great deal on it but will most likely upgrade in the future), a reactor to run zeovit, fuge, and a UV. Also will run carbon and GFO as needed, but want to avoid that.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got my list cleaned up a little more after talking with @vetteguy53081 for the tangs and @SaltyT for the wrasse. I think I have a pretty decent list now with the color and movement I'm looking for. Debating in taking the tank up to 30" tall and just get good with forceps with coral placement. :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: I'm not a tall guy so if I went 30" tall it would be hard to reach the bottom, but I also want to give the best space for the fish.

The list I have introduced in groups will be:

Group 1 after fishless cycle:
Chromis group - Maybe 5
Flame Angle
Starting CUC

Group 2:
Blonde Naso Tang
Orange Shoulder Tang
Fox Face

Group 3:
Yellow or Red Coris Wrasse
Earmuff Wrasse
Radiant Wrasse

Group 4:
Copper Band
File Fish
CUC

Group 5:
Tomini Tang
Chocolate Tang
Atlantic Blue or Gem tang

Group 6:
5-7 Lyretail Anthias

Group 7:
Red lined wrasse
Lepard Wrasse
Melanurus wrasse
CUC

Group 8:
Flame Hawk
Longnose Hawk
Goby Gang - 2-3 gobies

Group 9:
Yellow eyed Kole or White tail tang
White Cheek Tang
Coral Beauty Angle

Group 10:
Clown Pair with anemone
Mandarin Pair
CUC

I believe everything I have listed will get along and the groupings I have will cut back on aggression. I'm doing smaller groups since I only have 2 10 gallon and 1 20 long I plan on using for QT following @Jay Hemdal QT procedure.

If you made it this far are there any recommendations on what I should change? Or fish you would swap with something else and why?

Filtration is a Bashsea 60" pro sump with a reef factory L roller, a redsea 900ss skimmer (got a great deal on it but will most likely upgrade in the future), a reactor to run zeovit, fuge, and a UV. Also will run carbon and GFO as needed, but want to avoid that.
Just be aware that you may see higher mortality rates in the green chromis, blonde naso and copperband than you may be comfortable with….

Jay

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware that you may see higher mortality rates in the green chromis, blonde naso and copperband than you may be comfortable with….

Jay
Maybe I’ll get those pre QT if they’re harder to QT. Minus the chromis, I may not add those, was trying to think of a hardy fish to start the tank off with.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any experience with Dr.Reef?

Looks like they do 2 weeks in copper then prazi for 2 weeks in observation. Pricing seems good for pre QT fish for some of the harder ones.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any experience with Dr.Reef?

Looks like they do 2 weeks in copper then prazi for 2 weeks in observation. Pricing seems good for pre QT fish for some of the harder ones.

Reviews are pretty mixed, but I'd say worth it for large orders like yours. Also just be aware of you're getting coral that filefish rarely play nice long term with coral.

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviews are pretty mixed, but I'd say worth it for large orders like yours. Also just be aware of you're getting coral that filefish rarely play nice long term with coral.
Maybe I'll skip the file fish for something else. Was trying to think of aptasia prevention with the copper band and file fish. My current 75 I'll be breaking down is just an aptasia farm at this point. Granted I didnt qt anything but you never know what can make it through.

As far as pre QT I think I'd only do it for a couple fish that are hard to QT. My wife got me the whole QT set up for Christmas so I want to try doing it myself on some hardier fish. Then transfer it to coral after I get all fish in tank. I'm thinking it's going to be about a year after the first fish before I do coral. Want to get everything dialed in with the tank and get everything stable before coral, but knowing me I'll probably add coral after a couple months.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'll skip the file fish for something else. Was trying to think of aptasia prevention with the copper band and file fish. My current 75 I'll be breaking down is just an aptasia farm at this point. Granted I didnt qt anything but you never know what can make it through.

As far as pre QT I think I'd only do it for a couple fish that are hard to QT. My wife got me the whole QT set up for Christmas so I want to try doing it myself on some hardier fish. Then transfer it to coral after I get all fish in tank. I'm thinking it's going to be about a year after the first fish before I do coral. Want to get everything dialed in with the tank and get everything stable before coral, but knowing me I'll probably add coral after a couple months.
It's all cost benefit. The one nice thing is filefish are very easy to catch and I imagine even quite catchable in a 300 gallon tank. They swim like little goobers. So I'd say if you like them and want to double up on aiptasia prevention there's no harm, but if anything is getting nipped it'd be my first fish to check. Of your stocking list if I had coral getting nipped my order of likely culprits would be:

Filefish>>copperband>flame angel>coral beauty angel>foxface>>everything else

OP
OP
thomas_neil

thomas_neil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those where my concerns too. I'm hoping if I can get myself to hold off on coral long enough, these guys will be used to prepared foods and leave the coral alone.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 39 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back