Fish stocking question

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah seen those guys at the LFS and they never stop moving. It’s awesome. I love the idea of a big tank like yours and I want one some day but, my apartment doesn’t have the space for it as well as their “10 gallon aquarium policy” lol. Think anything above 30 would push their buttons haha!
I had a 30 in college with a 10 gallon policy so I understand completely! Sixline wrasse can be jerks but they're colorful and move a lot plus they stay small. I had one that would "square up" when I came close to the tank. Neat little critters and won't take any guff if the clowns do get agressive. Just make sure you get one that eats. Every now and then you'll end up with a starver.

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 30 in college with a 10 gallon policy so I understand completely! Sixline wrasse can be jerks but they're colorful and move a lot plus they stay small. I had one that would "square up" when I came close to the tank. Neat little critters and won't take any guff if the clowns do get agressive. Just make sure you get one that eats. Every now and then you'll end up with a starver.
The only 6 line I had was a complete jerk. Would love to try it out again, very pretty fish but big risk in it. That’ll be my last resort

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The only 6 line I had was a complete jerk. Would love to try it out again, very pretty fish but big risk in it. That’ll be my last resort
There's also the Pink Stripe. Similar but supposedly way less jerky.

justrock79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a dartfish. We have a purple dart with our clowns and yellow watchman/pistol shrimp combo in a 40 gallon, there are others also & everyone gets along well

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a dartfish. We have a purple dart with our clowns and yellow watchman/pistol shrimp combo in a 40 gallon, there are others also & everyone gets along well
Ended up getting a dart fish. Saw him swimming a few times but have not seen it since then

justrock79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ended up getting a dart fish. Saw him swimming a few times but have not seen it since then
Ours hid out for a bit, but when it got more comfortable it came out gradually more often; it's out all the time now

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank the Innovative Marine Lagoon 25? I have the same one if so.

Tips for the clowns cause at this point mine (5 years in the tank) are complete jerks especially to me :(

Try and get them to house an area on one side of the tank, mine housed directly in the middle so they considered the whole tank their territory.
Introduce new fish while they are still young because yours are around 5? months I believe you said, they won't be that aggressive at this point.
Get faster fish, clowns are slow and awkward and have trouble nipping any fish that can out-swim them.

Mine lived in complete harmony with my chalk bass and royal gramma but picked on my PJ cardinal, flame hawkfish and clown gobies to the point where I got a second tank just to separate them.

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your tank the Innovative Marine Lagoon 25? I have the same one if so.

Tips for the clowns cause at this point mine (5 years in the tank) are complete jerks especially to me :(

Try and get them to house an area on one side of the tank, mine housed directly in the middle so they considered the whole tank their territory.
Introduce new fish while they are still young because yours are around 5? months I believe you said, they won't be that aggressive at this point.
Get faster fish, clowns are slow and awkward and have trouble nipping any fish that can out-swim them.

Mine lived in complete harmony with my chalk bass and royal gramma but picked on my PJ cardinal, flame hawkfish and clown gobies to the point where I got a second tank just to separate them.
Yes it’s the im 25. My clowns seem to be jerks toward each other lol. My orange one will sometimes like bite the black one. Not sure why, I’ve kept clowns before and never seen something like that.

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it’s the im 25. My clowns seem to be jerks toward each other lol. My orange one will sometimes like bite the black one. Not sure why, I’ve kept clowns before and never seen something like that.
Don't worry they are just figuring out who's going to be the female, I legitimately thought my frostbite clown was going to kill me nearly naked one when bit him then proceeded to drag him into a cave and pin him into the ground. 5 years later and they still nip at each other sometimes but they cannot be separated I've put them in acclimation boxes and some how the other one always finds a way to get into the box.

OP
OP
S

sheeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry they are just figuring out who's going to be the female, I legitimately thought my frostbite clown was going to kill me nearly naked one when bit him then proceeded to drag him into a cave and pin him into the ground. 5 years later and they still nip at each other sometimes but they cannot be separated I've put them in acclimation boxes and some how the other one always finds a way to get into the box.
seems about right. They are together always, like my old clowns. The only issue I’m running into is that the orange one is hosting my trachy, I’ve never dealt with clowns hosting anything. Trachy seems to be unhappy. Any advice?

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seems about right. They are together always, like my old clowns. The only issue I’m running into is that the orange one is hosting my trachy, I’ve never dealt with clowns hosting anything. Trachy seems to be unhappy. Any advice?
Mine host a duncan coral, I would honestly get a coral like a duncan that actually appreciates the clowns rubbing up against it. Then i would move the trachy in hopes that that would reset their brains into thinking they need to find a new home. Mine always followed my duncan where ever I moved it though so it may be unsuccessful, worth a shot though.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back