Fish suggestion for 75g

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I was wondering what would be a good tankmate in my 75g along with my snowflake eel. I did have a red banded hawkfish in tank with him before he passed. I would like to have a fish that's active. I appreciate any suggestions. I should say that it's a fowlr tank no corals in there at the moment.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus wrasse, a group of Chrysiptera damsels, a group of zebra or scissortail dartfish.

OP
OP
Dragonreef202

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a Melanurus wrasse in my other tank. I was interested in wrasses but they seem to be real difficult to acclimate to a tank. I have had damsels before. I would like to try something different.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a little tomini tang or a dwarf angel. I really like the redtail and orange tail filefishes, a really beautiful over looked fish that has a trigger type swim style.

009.jpg

colin obrien

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you looked into the humu trigger fish specie's? very active and full of personality. depending on the size of the eel, if its a larger snowflake, I would get one around 4''. they grow about an 1'' a year at most if a male, and if a female even less. and once they reach 5'' their growth rate is cut in half. so a smaller humu trigger would be perfect for that tank. imo and imo only, a yellow tang would also be nice if you had a lot of flow which is already important in predator tanks. there are also the smaller puffers like the valentine puffer fish. a yellow eye tang is another good one a one spot foxface any dwarf angel would be nice and there is also different types of clown fish you could put in there.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you looked into the humu trigger fish specie's? very active and full of personality. depending on the size of the eel, if its a larger snowflake, I would get one around 4''. they grow about an 1'' a year at most if a male, and if a female even less. and once they reach 5'' their growth rate is cut in half. so a smaller humu trigger would be perfect for that tank. imo and imo only, a yellow tang would also be nice if you had a lot of flow which is already important in predator tanks. there are also the smaller puffers like the valentine puffer fish. a yellow eye tang is another good one a one spot foxface any dwarf angel would be nice and there is also different types of clown fish you could put in there.
The growth rates of 1" for males was done in a study on subtropical specimens. The authors of that study remarked that warmer temps would accelerate their growth.

A huma may be ok in a 75 temporarily, but they will outgrow it and get aggressive in the process.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is a fowlr, a dwarf angel would fit nicely. A flame angel will provide a blast of color as well as activity

colin obrien

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth rates of 1" for males was done in a study on subtropical specimens. The authors of that study remarked that warmer temps would accelerate their growth.

A huma may be ok in a 75 temporarily, but they will outgrow it and get aggressive in the process.
from what I have experienced from keeping these fish is that humu triggers tend to keep their same personality throughout their whole life as I have experienced with many specimens. the growth rate wouldn't be too much faster in warmer water considering that their metabolism would be raised and less oxygen. but idk, also I meant alone in a 75g my bad and I don't think an eel would make much of a difference. this is all just me, I tend to have a very different approach the tank keeping as well so a lot of people disagree with me but my approach has given me many thriving tanks that I still enjoy from the beginning. a male trigger and a female trigger can make a huge difference in aggression as well, because in nature females claim a small patch of reef as their own while the male roams about the reef. I suspect that might make the males more aggressive because lack of space in any home aquarium. my trigger is very happy in its 90g but its also still small. as it slowly grows I will have to empty the tank till its just the trigger. as they are more calm when isolated. once again, this is just me im not trying to say anyone is wrong this is just my views and what I have had success with keeping and studying these triggers. it may work for some and may not work for others but it worked for me.

OP
OP
Dragonreef202

Dragonreef202

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a niger trigger before. I may just try a angel fish. I didn't want to get a angel fish because I heard bad stories about them eating corals. I may want to add corals later to the tank.. Especially the flame angel I have read that he should be put in the tank last to keep other fishes that may be in the tank from being bullied.

colin obrien

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from what I have experienced from keeping these fish is that humu triggers tend to keep their same personality throughout their whole life as I have experienced with many specimens. the growth rate wouldn't be too much faster in warmer water considering that their metabolism would be raised and less oxygen. but idk, also I meant alone in a 75g my bad and I don't think an eel would make much of a difference. this is all just me, I tend to have a very different approach the tank keeping as well so a lot of people disagree with me but my approach has given me many thriving tanks that I still enjoy from the beginning. a male trigger and a female trigger can make a huge difference in aggression as well, because in nature females claim a small patch of reef as their own while the male roams about the reef. I suspect that might make the males more aggressive because lack of space in any home aquarium. my trigger is very happy in its 90g but its also still small. as it slowly grows I will have to empty the tank till its just the trigger. as they are more calm when isolated. once again, this is just me im not trying to say anyone is wrong this is just my views and what I have had success with keeping and studying these triggers. it may work for some and may not work for others but it worked for me.
there is also no research showing the proper growth rate of a humu trigger in tropical waters. so one cannot say I am wrong or right. all I know is what I have experienced so far. I have also had success keeping them in a reef tank, which most say cannot be done. but it worked with me.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is also no research showing the proper growth rate of a humu trigger in tropical waters. so one cannot say I am wrong or right. all I know is what I have experienced so far. I have also had success keeping them in a reef tank, which most say cannot be done. but it worked with me.
I've kept them in reefs as well. Its just been my experience that they grow faster than you are stating.

colin obrien

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a niger trigger before. I may just try a angel fish. I didn't want to get a angel fish because I heard bad stories about them eating corals. I may want to add corals later to the tank.. Especially the flame angel I have read that he should be put in the tank last to keep other fishes that may be in the tank from being bullied.
if you want a trigger or angel fish I would suggest adding the coral first or add a couple cheap frags one at a time. I have kept mushrooms, zoas, Kenya trees, toad stools, and even frogspawns before with a humu trigger. and I have seen it done with niger triggers too. its mostly all about the personality of your trigger fish. I prefer the more "anti social" triggers because of this, these guys are just as aggressive as any other trigger but only attack when the fishes needs are not being met. to find a trigger like this you must watch the fish at the lfs for a while to find this variation of personality. first it must be a healthy specimen and have been in the store for a week at least so that it has at least established somewhat of a territory. then watch it and make sure that the fish appears to behave almost as if it is the only fish in the tank. this may be hard to do if it is the only fish in the tank lol. but usually at least at the lfs I go to they keep them all together with sometimes other species of fish. if there are other fish in the tank then great, the trigger you are looking for should be bold, not aggressive, and by that I mean it should not care about its other tank mates or in other words behave as if it is alone in the aquarium. and when you ask them to feed it the trigger should behave the same way. if the trigger is shy compared to the other triggers then not that one, if the trigger is chasseing the other fish away for the food then not that one either. you want the trigger to see a piece of food and commit to eating it and if another fish has also done this then the trigger will still not back down to get the food. this is your likely candidate, even if it doesn't get the food or it does, it just shows that it really doesn't care about the other tank mates and that they do not bother the fish. its no guarantee that the trigger is reef safe but you will have a better shot at keeping corals and inverts in the tank with the trigger.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want a trigger or angel fish I would suggest adding the coral first or add a couple cheap frags one at a time. I have kept mushrooms, zoas, Kenya trees, toad stools, and even frogspawns before with a humu trigger. and I have seen it done with niger triggers too. its mostly all about the personality of your trigger fish. I prefer the more "anti social" triggers because of this, these guys are just as aggressive as any other trigger but only attack when the fishes needs are not being met. to find a trigger like this you must watch the fish at the lfs for a while to find this variation of personality. first it must be a healthy specimen and have been in the store for a week at least so that it has at least established somewhat of a territory. then watch it and make sure that the fish appears to behave almost as if it is the only fish in the tank. this may be hard to do if it is the only fish in the tank lol. but usually at least at the lfs I go to they keep them all together with sometimes other species of fish. if there are other fish in the tank then great, the trigger you are looking for should be bold, not aggressive, and by that I mean it should not care about its other tank mates or in other words behave as if it is alone in the aquarium. and when you ask them to feed it the trigger should behave the same way. if the trigger is shy compared to the other triggers then not that one, if the trigger is chasseing the other fish away for the food then not that one either. you want the trigger to see a piece of food and commit to eating it and if another fish has also done this then the trigger will still not back down to get the food. this is your likely candidate, even if it doesn't get the food or it does, it just shows that it really doesn't care about the other tank mates and that they do not bother the fish. its no guarantee that the trigger is reef safe but you will have a better shot at keeping corals and inverts in the tank with the trigger.
Be mindful that the demeanor of fish often change as they grow and mature.

colin obrien

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be mindful that the demeanor of fish often change as they grow and mature.
definitely agree there. ive found that at least with the humu's ive kept they tend to not change much personality wise. but ive only kept 4 in my past so thats a very small portion so yes your right about that. OP if you go the trigger rout use caution!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back