Fishless Cycling Question

vixell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just started my tank cycle with 4ppm of Dr. Tim's Ammonium Chloride and the recommended dose of Brightwell's Microbacter Start XLM. Considering I get the "full cycle" as advertised in 7 days, will it be fine to leave my tank with no ammonia source for the following 3 to 4 weeks? I'd be heading out 3rd week of December and won't be back till the first of Jan. Tank will be monitored by someone and I have a big ATO reservoir so no issues there. I'm just worried that the bacteria might die-off since there won't be any ammonia source for a while.

Should I:

1) Dose at least 1ppm of ammonia before I leave; or
2) Sprinkle a pinch or two of fish food

I really wouldn't want to do any of the above as I don't want to add any more unnecessary nutrients (nitrates/phosphates) to my tank.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome neighbor. I am in extreme SW Austin near the Salt Lick.

Unnecessary nutrients? Nitrates & phosphate are required for life on Earth. Drop a raw shrimp into your tank and let the bacteria multiply.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the tank will be fine, in fact it will be better to leave it for those few weeks, once the bacteria is in the tank it doesn’t need to be kept fed, it will be fine with no other feed whilst you are gone.

OP
OP
vixell

vixell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome neighbor. I am in extreme SW Austin near the Salt Lick.

Unnecessary nutrients? Nitrates & phosphate are required for life on Earth. Drop a raw shrimp into your tank and let the bacteria multiply.
Hello neighbor! Austin doesn't really have a huge reef community so happy to see someone here!

What I mean to say is I wouldn't want to start my tank with sky-high levels of nutrients and just keep chasing numbers forever. I'd rather be on the safer side and maintain it at optimal levels (~5 ppm NO3, ~0.1ppm PO4).

OP
OP
vixell

vixell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the tank will be fine, in fact it will be better to leave it for those few weeks, once the bacteria is in the tank it doesn’t need to be kept fed, it will be fine with no other feed whilst you are gone.
Thank you that's what I needed to hear!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello neighbor! Austin doesn't really have a huge reef community so happy to see someone here!

What I mean to say is I wouldn't want to start my tank with sky-high levels of nutrients and just keep chasing numbers forever. I'd rather be on the safer side and maintain it at optimal levels (~5 ppm NO3, ~0.1ppm PO4).

As long as you don’t add light to grow algae, excess nutrients will fuel bacteria which are the heart of biofiltration.

Considering no livestock in tank, it doesn’t much matter what you do. Enjoy your Christmas break then come back and complete the nitrification cycle.

What are you wanting to stock in your AIO? What is your vision for the tank.

I favor high nutrient systems, that is why I commented on you limiting nitrogen & phosphate. But I treat my marine ecosystem like a planted aquarium.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 37

AustinReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Also in Austin and was looking for the answer to this same question. Started with XLM on Thursday and cycling my 140 gallon. Though might fish might end up start hitting the tank 2-3 weeks after my cycle completes and was wondering if I need to keep a food source going for the bacteria in the interim. I’m in Crestview area.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Also in Austin and was looking for the answer to this same question. Started with XLM on Thursday and cycling my 140 gallon. Though might fish might end up start hitting the tank 2-3 weeks after my cycle completes and was wondering if I need to keep a food source going for the bacteria in the interim. I’m in Crestview area.

no, once it’s cycled you will be fine, just be sure it’s cycled and add the fish slowly, not all at once.

if it makes you feel better you can drop a tiny bit of fish food in once a week but it’s not needed.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you are using sterile substrate, add nitrogen fixation bacteria and use ammonia to establish nitrogen fixation bacteria. If they are feed nothing else, their populations will decrease. The process takes about a week at most if done diligently.

Or just throw a shrimp in tank and come back in two weeks.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using sterile substrate, add nitrogen fixation bacteria and use ammonia to establish nitrogen fixation bacteria. If they are feed nothing else, their populations will decrease. The process takes about a week at most if done diligently.

Or just throw a shrimp in tank and come back in two weeks.
The question was after the cycle completes.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dose more bacteria when you get back and add a couple of fish. I would probably use MicroBacter 7 for the follow-on dosing. In any event, make sure it is live bacteria.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back