OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the cabinets for stands. That looks really nice.
I knew you knew what I was talking about regarding the pods. I thought Mr. Smith possibly had the wrong impression about this hybrid method.
So you feel pretty good about the peroxide dip vs. the formalin dip? I did both. I read a study somewhere that stated formalin causes all parasites to fall off which seems too broad of a statement. But formalin dips that could cause almost all parasites to fall off, especially in the gills, seems like a solid idea. So I may do that again. The Safety Stop products seem like a good idea in combination with this HYBRID TTM.
Yeah- the peroxide dip looks legit. Humblefish has done this a bunch since March/April I believe abd has had great success.

Now that 2ppm is recommended for copper, that’s getting close to too toxic for me. I was getting a couple bacterial issues at day 12-14 with 1.75ppm and this was with a pretty hardy fish. Just seems impossible with anthias or other sensitives to do 2ppm especially if feeding is an issue

My only issue with formalin is that it is highly carcinogenic. It would suck to use it in QT just to have a great looking fish develop tumors after 18-24 months. Of course, that’s not a certainty, but if there’s a non-carcinogenic alternative that is just as effective, why not go fir that.

My reading of the hybrid TTM is that the TTM takes care of ich, the two 30 minute peroxide dips (150 ppm) at end of cycles 1 and 3 takes care of ALL external parasites (inc velvet) and you take care of internal parasites by feeding foods with general cure and focus. 12 days then 14 Obs

Yeah- I like my space. Wish I could extend into the rest of the basement a little more but that’s already about 1/6 of the area. 80 sqft fishroom then another 180 in the auxiliary- QTs, water production, sink, storage. I’m actually thinking of moving a particular storage cabinet (scuba stuff) so I can extend the coral QT bench to 8ft. If I do the cabinets on either end, I’ll have space for a 4 foot under bench using cinderblocks and plywood under the main bench. Thinking several 5, 10g for CUC qt, molly acclimation. Maybe reinstate 20g coral QT abd add a 10sump for it

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do the cabinets on either end, I’ll have space for a 4 foot under bench using cinderblocks and plywood under the main bench. Thinking several 5, 10g for CUC qt, molly acclimation. Maybe reinstate 20g coral QT abd add a 10sump for it

You can never have too many tanks, I always say. In fact, the more the merrier!

The mathematical formula for the # of aquariums any one person can own is n+1, where 'n' variable is the # of tanks you currently own. Problem solved. When you show your significant other the formula, it's hard to argue with the math. Math is complicated, you just trust the formulas!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can never have too many tanks, I always say. In fact, the more the merrier!

The mathematical formula for the # of aquariums any one person can own is n+1, where 'n' variable is the # of tanks you currently own. Problem solved. When you show your significant other the formula, it's hard to argue with the math. Math is complicated, you just trust the formulas!
The problem with showing her that formula is that she’s Stanford PhD trained... she’ll add the variable:

N+1 - (area of allocated tank space in basement/area of tank footprint*if you add any more to this hobby you’ll need to get your lazy butt a job)

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you maintaining salinity in your QT or observation tanks? Do you have lids to prevent evaporation?
Lids on 2/3 of the 10g with top off needed 2 times a week, a gravity fed float valve on the coral QT (although I suspect it is sticky abs not consistent) since it has egg crate lid for the light and therefore has higher evap rate, and an apex dual sensor ATO on the 20g.

I’m thinking I’ll move the apex ATO to the coral tank, since fish are a bit hardier with salinity changes, and usevthe gravity fed valve in the 20long observation tank

Considering doing that big reconfiguration I mention yesterday. I’ll need to rerun some lines for ATO outlet if I do that

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gravity feed

F6D71616-2B7F-4B1D-9515-70602733A3E5.jpeg
2F489893-E855-40D0-BF5E-EF0EE2E69E8B.jpeg
1771E8E7-B4BF-4762-9652-C996284DC9CD.jpeg
06E8DF2A-4B6E-4372-B0B1-98BB30E02558.jpeg

Manual- fill with rodi, pull siphon with a syringe and drip into tank

936CBEE0-1407-44D0-91CA-F52711F07B18.jpeg

10g ATO container and pump inside cabinet. Not currently in use while I move things around. Likely put it back on the coral QT.

FFC19F53-E42B-4AD2-9C62-02A148A999E3.jpeg

Bonus torch pic

C65F7D1A-90A3-4CFA-98A4-9524DC1B331F.jpeg

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing the photos! I'm going to borrow the gravity fed ATO idea for future use. Cheers!
If you eBay ‘coffee machine float valve’ you’ll find a smaller better float valve for it. I had this left over from my mixing station, since it didn’t come with a ferrule and brs didn’t send a replacement. It’s 3/8” and I had to force some tubing on there

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cabinet on left has room for a 15g RODI ATO container. Put it nearest to the Water station so I can do an auto refill like I did for the main ATO in the fishroom. I might just add a float valve and let it refill whenever the main ATO does, or get simple and just run a hose through a hole in the cabinet when it gets low.

7EB6068A-976F-46E1-B324-42DEC02E2CDC.jpeg

I’m mentally wiring up a 4 tank ATO that uses one outlet, one pump and container and 4 sets of float switches and solenoids. Still working through the mental schematic but I think it’ll work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That extra countertop space looks ideal. One of the most interesting parts of this hobby, to me, is the fish room! Where all the magic happens.
The space dedicated to the fish now officially exceeds mine and Katie’s first California apartment.

Joys of silicone valley life!

OP
OP
User

User

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 random 4 second power cuts on the apex today, so my return stopped, pulled a siphon for 2 seconds then restarted. Two yesterday.

Annoying thing is, I have the alerts to send me a text every time the return is turned off. I don’t get an alarm, but I do get an alarm off notification when it restarts.

It also means I’m starting to feel like I can’t trust this thing. Not a good feeling after investing about $1k into it

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That extra countertop space looks ideal. One of the most interesting parts of this hobby, to me, is the fish room! Where all the magic happens.
Me too! I have a weird thing for fish rooms. I love a neat and tidy fishroom, and I LOVE the frankensteins monster fishrooms such as @ca1ore fishroom.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back