Fishy DREAMS! What's the fish of your dreams?

Do you think you will ever own your dream fish?

• YES one way or another

Votes: 232 55.1%
  • YES only if I hit the lottery

Votes: 54 12.8%
  • NO

Votes: 63 15.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 58 13.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 3.3%

• Total voters

babblingSponge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moorish Idol but my current tank is waaaay to small and I'd have the heart to possibly watch one waste away from being unhappy going from the wild to a closed system.

reefbeard

Bearded Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crosshatch Trigger :D
fca78d455ef39c9116b0b5417a39aa7c.jpg

Strangewaterchange

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love a six line wrasse but I have a very peaceful 55g and have heard nothing but horror stories unless they're kept in very large tanks. This is my first tank so whenever I upgrade to the dream tank I'll shoot for the dream fish to go in it.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue spotted Ray. And yes I'm starting to plane my dream tank 12 ft long. 40 inches wide and 2ft tall.. once this is done I'm hoping it will work out...

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard Wrasse. Love that fish and wanted one since I first got into the hobby 6 years ago but heard they were for experts. After 6 years I thought I'd try and bought two as a pair. I did lots of research and followed the best advice on QT, meds, sand, etc. One died in QT after about 10 days and the second appears to be on her way out. Sad and disappointing but I'll probably let myself try one more time. Others have success with them.
I just lost mine after 1.5 years. Just disappeared. Beautiful fish. I thought mine was pretty Hardy. I was trying to clean my sand one day it was getting late so I put my last Scoops in a 5 gallon bucket and put it in the basement so I could clean it the next day. Come to find out, the leopard wrasse was in that sand. The fish spent the whole night in sand in a bucket in the basement with hardly any water and no heater for at least 12 hours. The next morning I started renting the sand in freshwater bites reaching in and scooping my hand and just throwing it all around and I saw a flash of blue and pink. I thought to myself, no freaking way! So I ran upstairs and looked in my tank to look for my leopard wrasse and it was not there. So I ran back down and carefully look through this hand and found them. I ran back up the stairs and threw them into the tank. And he lived well over another year since I did that. So I would say that they are pretty Hardy fish.

NanoReefLife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have those fish that we would love to have in our reef tank and for one reason or another we don't have one. Maybe it would eat all your coral or maybe the price tag is too high! Whatever the reason is this "fish" has become the fish of your dreams. Let's talk about it today and why you can't have one!

1. What is the fish of your dreams?

2. What are the reasons you can't have your dream fish?

image via @reddo-tan
5IuAkjc.jpg
Lionfish

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I’m a tang guy by and large but if the sky is the limit I’d take a peppermint angel. That said, any that are collected should be put into breeding programs or display at public aquaria. That’s a rare bird that should probably never be caged... but if it is many people should enjoy it.

Options 1B and 1C are a Conspic and Bandit angel in that order. Bandits are sponge eaters and don’t touch coral due to the depths they live at, so that might be an option some day. conspicillatus on the other hand remain a holy grail for good reason.

As I mentioned I’m a tang guy, I have an Achilles, maculiceps, bariene and a few folweri tangs. I am looking to add an Achilles hybrid but it’s gonna have to check all the boxes given the price. At some point I’ll add a black, duss and gem but that’ll have to happen when I’m in my final tank.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Achilles and Gem Tang. The cost and space for an aquarium large enough for them is the limiting factor.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin Dragonet. I know it's common but I love them.

My 90 gallon has only been up for 6 months. I'd like to wait another 6 before getting one.
I just finally found/got a blue mandarin I waited a year and added a ton of pods once I got him/her. :) they are my second fav. fish just wish they showed themselves more! SO pretty!!!

biomekanic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Golden Dwarf Moray for me. Just so dang cool.

But these days its well over $400 for one of them, and that's just too much for me right now. I'd have to be absolutely certain that:

A) The tank was healthy enough to survive the addition of a messy moray.

B) I could keep him alive for at least ten years

And right now neither of those are true, so for now, the fish of my dreams will have to live out its dreams in someone else's tank.
Same here, I eventually would like to have a tank with 3 or 4 of them.

I had one before. My tank was not as escape proof as I thought : (

This is one case where I think medium to smaller would be better as it would be easier to sure.

SteveRepp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all have those fish that we would love to have in our reef tank and for one reason or another we don't have one. Maybe it would eat all your coral or maybe the price tag is too high! Whatever the reason is this "fish" has become the fish of your dreams. Let's talk about it today and why you can't have one!

1. What is the fish of your dreams?

2. What are the reasons you can't have your dream fish?

image via @reddo-tan
5IuAkjc.jpg
Mine’s ALMOST the same.... but the Sohal Tang always takes over those dreams eventually !!! ( by the way ; I’m new here ... so HOW do I post ??? I just can’t find an obvious way for it ... I know it’s on me )

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back