Phoerut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I’ve just upgraded my mixed reef tank from a fluval nano to a 170

I quarantined the fish for 5 days before over loaded the power in my house 3 times!! So I moved the fish over. 5 days the fish had some suspicious looking marks on the fins. Today i the tail is completely shredded, red marks, white-ish lumps and marks, maybe raised scales but it’s so hard to get a look.

i bought a UV light to help as advised by my LFS. 3 days later the fish is worse. I CANNOT catch it without destroying my reef.

Im treating with NT labs anti bacterial at the moment but I’m stressing. Is there anything else I can do, if this doesn’t work.

I’ve attached some pictures but they’re not very good this fish is impossible to catch and photograph.

831AEAEC-E41B-460D-A9C1-224F4A508DD9.jpeg 6A8ED092-FF54-4E21-94DD-663F9BD21E51.jpeg 65A1F9B5-4F31-4222-B180-C048DAC04AF6.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Okay so I’ve just upgraded my mixed reef tank from a fluval nano to a 170

I quarantined the fish for 5 days before over loaded the power in my house 3 times!! So I moved the fish over. 5 days the fish had some suspicious looking marks on the fins. Today i the tail is completely shredded, red marks, white-ish lumps and marks, maybe raised scales but it’s so hard to get a look.

i bought a UV light to help as advised by my LFS. 3 days later the fish is worse. I CANNOT catch it without destroying my reef.

Im treating with NT labs anti bacterial at the moment but I’m stressing. Is there anything else I can do, if this doesn’t work.

I’ve attached some pictures but they’re not very good this fish is impossible to catch and photograph.

831AEAEC-E41B-460D-A9C1-224F4A508DD9.jpeg 6A8ED092-FF54-4E21-94DD-663F9BD21E51.jpeg 65A1F9B5-4F31-4222-B180-C048DAC04AF6.jpeg
The best picture of Tail I can see (best side view) looks like aggression rather than rot, something like a basslet, damsel , clown would do. What other fish do you have in your tank ?
Please post a couple pics under white lighting of tail area to confirm what you have

Last edited:
OP
OP
Phoerut

Phoerut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a peacock wrasse, Bangi cardinal, watchman goby, yellow coral goby and a sail fin goby and pictures pending, just popped out. All very peaceful. Haven’t seen any signs of aggression. The cardinals a bit of an butt but he’s never nipped anyone, he just chases them away.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a peacock wrasse, Bangi cardinal, watchman goby, yellow coral goby and a sail fin goby and pictures pending, just popped out. All very peaceful. Haven’t seen any signs of aggression. The cardinals a bit of an butt but he’s never nipped anyone, he just chases them away.
Does not appear to be a water quality issue as other fish too would have signs, change in eating and breathing.
One trick to confirm you dont have aggression is to set your cell phone on video mode for about 50 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a jerk at feeding time.
Review the video and see if you see something

OP
OP
Phoerut

Phoerut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does not appear to be a water quality issue as other fish too would have signs, change in eating and breathing.
One trick to confirm you dont have aggression is to set your cell phone on video mode for about 50 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a jerk at feeding time.
Review the video and see if you see something
Okay! I’ve been wanting a fish cam anyway, so this will be a good test.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back