Flagfin Angel dying?

Ariellemcc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flagsfin angels since this morning has been not active doesn’t want to eat and has currently started laying on side. I don’t see any sign of disease or sickness and its breathing is steady not increased and not decreased. I know they’re sensitive fish and can be quite dramatic. Please help what could be wrong. It gets fed flakes, pallets, mega angel food in might’ve shrimp, as well as squid chunks and oyster muscle chuncks and nori

IMG_6153.jpeg IMG_6151.jpeg IMG_6150.jpeg IMG_6154.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This would be called a moribund condition - and has an extremely poor prognosis - UNLESS - you can measure some parameter (ammonia, etc etc) that could have changed - any toxin that could be in the tank or a low-oxygen condition. I would increase aeration and if you could provide more information - your parameters, other fish in the tank, when you got it, etc etc. Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flagsfin angels since this morning has been not active doesn’t want to eat and has currently started laying on side. I don’t see any sign of disease or sickness and its breathing is steady not increased and not decreased. I know they’re sensitive fish and can be quite dramatic. Please help what could be wrong. It gets fed flakes, pallets, mega angel food in might’ve shrimp, as well as squid chunks and oyster muscle chuncks and nori

IMG_6153.jpeg IMG_6151.jpeg IMG_6150.jpeg IMG_6154.jpeg

How long have you had this fish?
When was the last time you saw it eat?
Its eyes look a bit hazy in the photographs, do they look like that in person?

Jay

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank, flagfins do not take well to small tanks, along with the questions Jay asked. And how much have they been eating, these fish can also just nibble around and waste away.

OP
OP
Ariellemcc

Ariellemcc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be called a moribund condition - and has an extremely poor prognosis - UNLESS - you can measure some parameter (ammonia, etc etc) that could have changed - any toxin that could be in the tank or a low-oxygen condition. I would increase aeration and if you could provide more information - your parameters, other fish in the tank, when you got it, etc etc. Thanks
I did a water change and added some prime to help negate any bad water, I don’t have any testers other than an ammonia tag, which shows no ammonia. I have a large wave make for plenty of aeration.
I have a rabbit fish, lightning maroon clown female, and maroon clown male, a few small damsels and a cleaner wrasse in a 75 gallon. He was eating ok the day before. (Two days ago) but not much today but has since perked up some I can’t say his eyes look foggy, but he looks like he has small white dots on his mouth.

Attachments

• IMG_6175.jpeg
    IMG_6175.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6177.jpeg
    IMG_6177.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Ariellemcc

Ariellemcc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had this fish?
When was the last time you saw it eat?
Its eyes look a bit hazy in the photographs, do they look like that in person?

Jay
Ive had the fish a week it ate okay the day prior to the photos and hasn't eaten much sense
I can’t say his eyes look foggy, but he looks like he has small white dots on his mouth.

Attachments

• IMG_6175.jpeg
    IMG_6175.jpeg
    120.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6177.jpeg
    IMG_6177.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
Ariellemcc

Ariellemcc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be a case of bullying I think my rabbit is tank boss and i read that apparently this angelfish is more timid, not aggressive like most angels.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could this be a case of bullying I think my rabbit is tank boss and i read that apparently this angelfish is more timid, not aggressive like most angels.

The angel does have a bit of fin missing that is from aggression, but doesn't look too serious.

The water looks a bit cloudy - make sure there is good aeration.
I see the dots on its mouth - look carefully, can you8 see those same dots elsewhere on the fish? This could be ich.

I still think I can see cloudy eyes in these new photos. You could try a 5 minute freshwater dip. If there are flukes, that will knock them off and buy you some time. However, with very sick fish like this, a dip can be risky.

Jay

OP
OP
Ariellemcc

Ariellemcc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The angel does have a bit of fin missing that is from aggression, but doesn't look too serious.

The water looks a bit cloudy - make sure there is good aeration.
I see the dots on its mouth - look carefully, can you8 see those same dots elsewhere on the fish? This could be ich.

I still think I can see cloudy eyes in these new photos. You could try a 5 minute freshwater dip. If there are flukes, that will knock them off and buy you some time. However, with very sick fish like this, a dip can be risky.

Jay
The lps treats with copper and we did a paragaurd dip for 30 minutes. I don’t see soots else where.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 108 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back