Flamboyant Cuttlefish / big reef tank

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! While I don't have the husbandry or expertise to house a cuttlefish, I sure would like to see pictures of the little guys :D
chris3.gif
#WelcometoR2R

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Wondered if anyone has any advice on rearing baby cuttlefish?

I have around 50 eggs, so far 1 hatchling.

If anyone wants some - please let me know as i can't realistically keep 50!

Oxford UK based

Thanks
Very interested in them. Had a couple awhile back. Please let me know. Thanks Tom

091.JPG

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boom! Now THAT'S how you make an entrance onto the forums. Welcome!

I would love to have a cuttlefish tank, but I am absolutely certain that I'd never be able to keep up on feeding them live food all the time... Also; I'm in the states and shipping them here would be a huge pain/risk/expense. Hope you find a home for them - such awesome critters!

OP
OP
H

herbertmt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started about 8 years ago with a 4 ft tank - broke it down after two years and then got a 6x2x2 broke that down and now i managed to buy a house..

So current main tank is a 7.5x3x3. Found one cuttle and managed to get hold of two more from TMC (Uk distro) setup a 175L tank for them in the hope to breed them... Now a bit over my game with the amount of eggs i have (research suggested 15 eggs per time is normal, not 50!)

I could ship Eggs to the states, the babies won't ship and adult success rate would be stupidly poor. I'd probably want someone to suggest a next day carrier and also tell me exactly how they want it packaged as i'm sure success rate wouldn't be great - i don't think anyone globally sells Eggs from what i can find though. Happy to try to one person and see if it worked out type thing.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

We tried flamboyant for a temporary exhibit at work a while ago. We bought a couple of adults and they laid eggs. But we didn't have any luck with the newly hatched Flamboyant cuttlefish. We tried different live food as gammarus and small mysis shrimp, which works fine for Sepia bandensis. I know this was during the summer, so our water might have been a bit too warm. We kept them in a reef tank system.
With Sepia bandensis we have a lot of success, have had many generations. But we haven't tried Flamboyant again unfortunately.

I think Horniman museum and Gardens in London breed Flamboyant cuttlefish now, maybe you could check with them.

OP
OP
H

herbertmt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

We tried flamboyant for a temporary exhibit at work a while ago. We bought a couple of adults and they laid eggs. But we didn't have any luck with the newly hatched Flamboyant cuttlefish. We tried different live food as gammarus and small mysis shrimp, which works fine for Sepia bandensis. I know this was during the summer, so our water might have been a bit too warm. We kept them in a reef tank system.
With Sepia bandensis we have a lot of success, have had many generations. But we haven't tried Flamboyant again unfortunately.

I think Horniman museum and Gardens in London breed Flamboyant cuttlefish now, maybe you could check with them.

I will get in touch - food i think is the only real issue!

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I've never seen anyone with flamboyant eggs! Definitely my dream ceph. I have experience with sepia bandensis as well as octopus briareus. I haven't been on the forums in a long time but are you posting on tonmo? I'm sure they'd love to see this. This is the first hobbiest level breeding of flamboyants I've heard about although since I stopped keeping cephalopods I haven't kept up on the news.}

What temp do you keep the water?
What are you currently feeding the babies?

Congrats you should certainly share your great experience with as many people as possible. I'd love to see more photos and videos of your system. Thanks for sharing.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back