Flame Hawk chased Diamond Goby Out

Matty Ice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states, I added a Diamond Goby to my 36 gallon display tank yesterday. He went to town sifting my sand. When he got near my Flame Hawks cave, the Hawk started chasing the Goby all over the place and they found a corner of my lid. Diamond Goby jumped out. I temporarily sealed up that corner with a sponge and tape. Immediately started setting my quarantine tank up again to move the Hawk into. I didn’t have enough saltwater mixed up to fill the QT and figured it could wait until this morning. I woke up to my Diamond Goby dried up on the floor. My question is should I have added the Hawk last? Also If I take my Hawk out of the tank and add another Diamond Goby eventually do you think this will happen again? I didn’t realize the Hawk would be so territorial.

Current stock list:

1 - Purple Fire Fish
2 - Darwin Clowns
1 - Flame Hawk
1 - RBTA
3 - Nasarius Snails
1 - Trochus Snail
3 - Blue Leg Hermits

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states, I added a Diamond Goby to my 36 gallon display tank yesterday. He went to town sifting my sand. When he got near my Flame Hawks cave, the Hawk started chasing the Goby all over the place and they found a corner of my lid. Diamond Goby jumped out. I temporarily sealed up that corner with a sponge and tape. Immediately started setting my quarantine tank up again to move the Hawk into. I didn’t have enough saltwater mixed up to fill the QT and figured it could wait until this morning. I woke up to my Diamond Goby dried up on the floor. My question is should I have added the Hawk last? Also If I take my Hawk out of the tank and add another Diamond Goby eventually do you think this will happen again? I didn’t realize the Hawk would be so territorial.

Current stock list:

1 - Purple Fire Fish
2 - Darwin Clowns
1 - Flame Hawk
1 - RBTA
3 - Nasarius Snails
1 - Trochus Snail
3 - Blue Leg Hermits
I wouldn’t add anything else with 4 fish, 3 that are well known for being territorial.

Random_Tabby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sad that the goby died. Unfortunately I think a 36g is too small for most sleeper gobies. I'd suggest a smaller species, except the cardinal would have the same reaction.
It may help to re-arrange rockwork just before adding the new fish- this way it is neutral ground for everyone. And make sure there are more hiding areas than you think you need (2-3 per fish) and some overhangs for the cardinal. Most fish love barnacle shells.

Most bottom dwelling fish will bolt away from threats, and if they happen to bolt upwards... well there needs to be no holes in the top. Jawfish are terrible for this, plus they are just very shy and would not be happy with nippy tankmates. Maybe a small fairy wrasse, I have a social wrasse in my 30g and it's got enough-but-not-too-much attitude.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very sad that the goby died. Unfortunately I think a 36g is too small for most sleeper gobies. I'd suggest a smaller species, except the cardinal would have the same reaction.
It may help to re-arrange rockwork just before adding the new fish- this way it is neutral ground for everyone. And make sure there are more hiding areas than you think you need (2-3 per fish) and some overhangs for the cardinal. Most fish love barnacle shells.

Most bottom dwelling fish will bolt away from threats, and if they happen to bolt upwards... well there needs to be no holes in the top. Jawfish are terrible for this, plus they are just very shy and would not be happy with nippy tankmates. Maybe a small fairy wrasse, I have a social wrasse in my 30g and it's got enough-but-not-too-much attitude.
I wouldn’t do any wrasse in a nano tank less than 3’ long. This is due to how much they swim as a mature species and when in display. I personally have a Naokoae in my max nano but it’s temporary as he is slowly getting larger.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do any wrasse in a nano tank less than 3’ long. This is due to how much they swim as a mature species and when in display. I personally have a Naokoae in my max nano but it’s temporary as he is slowly getting larger.
I have to agree with this. Wrasses love to swim and explore.

Random_Tabby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Nuvo APS 30gLong it is 35" x 10" 13", I should have specified.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond gobies are probably the best escape artists in the entire hobby, this excludes large eels that can muscle their way out of a tank. They can find the smallest most inconvenient hole in your lid and with great accuracy become carpet surfers. I dont think your flame hawk is entirely to blame, but the stress just caused the jump to happen sooner rather than later.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawks can be bullies especially in small tanks. You already have clowns. I would trade in the flame hawk.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may find that you’ll need a deeper tank as they enjoy the depth to “divebomb” in.
This may indeed help. I have a 60 breeder thats only 16.25 deep and never see mine leave the sand bed. And I have a very shallow tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may indeed help. I have a 60 breeder thats only 16.25 deep and never see mine leave the sand bed. And I have a very shallow tank.
Yeah, I have both my tanks which are 18” deep (the sand depth making them Atleast 17” deep). All my wrasses love being higher up towards the open water column.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have both my tanks which are 18” deep (the sand depth making them Atleast 17” deep). All my wrasses love being higher up towards the open water column.
Oh my carpenters wrasse is all over the place like a kid with a sugar high, I was referring to the diamond goby.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back