Flame hawkfish and shrimps

niklas.baastrup

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
So i know that flame hawkfish prey on small shrimps, however what is the estimated size limit for that. Is it safe to keep it with shrimps such as Lysmata debelius? or does the shrimp has to be even larger?

Best regards
Niklas

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may have better luck with a longnose hawk due to their smaller (though still surprisingly big) mouth size.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second. My Flame Hawk even went so far as to murder some of my hermits and snails. You want CUC? I would advise against a Flame Hawkfish, as awesome as they are.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with predation on shrimps is normally not during "normal" conditions - most of the predation take place when the shrimp molt and often release pheromones into the water. I have european eels going total nut in an aquarium placed downstream from a crayfish aquarium when the crayfish molted. In that case - the long nosed can be a more perfect killing machine compared with other hawkfish. It just reach the molting shrimp where it hiding in a hole or under a rock.

Sincerely Lasse

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
So i know that flame hawkfish prey on small shrimps, however what is the estimated size limit for that. Is it safe to keep it with shrimps such as Lysmata debelius? or does the shrimp has to be even larger?

Best regards
Niklas
I have a 3” flame hawk that cannot get anywhere near my banded shrimp without being chased away

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sooner or later, shrimp will be dinner

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to put some Cleaner Shrimp, snails and crabs as part of my CuC. Does this mean I’ll have to constantly replenish them because I plan to get both a Flame and a Longnose Hawk (love them)?

Also, will the Hawkfish or my planned Marine Betta prey on the Pistol Shrimp that I’m planning for my YWG?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a longnose, I lost my flame last year, lost as in vanished, I always have cleaner shrimps and added 2 last week, it never crossed my mind about the longnose, I wouldn't add sexy shrimps though! ;)

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it also depends on what size the flame hawks are when introduced.

My experience is a pair of small flames added to large (150gal) tank with pair of skunk cleaners was no problem at all...it’s been 5 years.
My flames don’t eat snails or hermits, they like a cleaning from the skunks, but it’s probably related to introduction size of fish, established shrimps and heavy feeding. ;)

I wouldn’t put a mature flame in a 30 gal with a shrimp and feed lightly.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a flame hawk and shrimp in a 210. No issue with it or snails. Ialso feed home made frozen 3 times a day and he’s fat and happy

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair of flamehawks never bothered my Cleaner or Fire shrimp. Maybe if the shrimps were small? I would make sure your shrimps are on the larger side. Even so, flamehawks are way cooler than any shrimp so I'd pick the Flamehawk over the shrimp anyday.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have 3+” flame hawk and added it AFTER my shrimp and haven’t yet had an issue

673AFC76-0E7B-4F11-8D47-7FBE3B8B300E.jpeg

Cbones1979

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a pixie hawk and he was in tank with my fire shrimp for weeks. Shrimp just molted and the hawk just keeps going after him...so much so that the shrimp is staying up high in the tank

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back