Flame hawkfish and shrimps

niklas.baastrup

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi
So i know that flame hawkfish prey on small shrimps, however what is the estimated size limit for that. Is it safe to keep it with shrimps such as Lysmata debelius? or does the shrimp has to be even larger?

Best regards
Niklas

Corals.com

Lasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I do not see flame hawkfish as shrimp safe for any of the shrimps that´s common in a reef tank.

Sincerely Lasse

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
You may have better luck with a longnose hawk due to their smaller (though still surprisingly big) mouth size.

Hugh Mann

View Badges
Reaction score
Second. My Flame Hawk even went so far as to murder some of my hermits and snails. You want CUC? I would advise against a Flame Hawkfish, as awesome as they are.

Lasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The problem with predation on shrimps is normally not during "normal" conditions - most of the predation take place when the shrimp molt and often release pheromones into the water. I have european eels going total nut in an aquarium placed downstream from a crayfish aquarium when the crayfish molted. In that case - the long nosed can be a more perfect killing machine compared with other hawkfish. It just reach the molting shrimp where it hiding in a hole or under a rock.

Sincerely Lasse

DeniableArc

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi
So i know that flame hawkfish prey on small shrimps, however what is the estimated size limit for that. Is it safe to keep it with shrimps such as Lysmata debelius? or does the shrimp has to be even larger?

Best regards
Niklas
I have a 3” flame hawk that cannot get anywhere near my banded shrimp without being chased away

Top Shelf Aquatics

Zionas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
I plan to put some Cleaner Shrimp, snails and crabs as part of my CuC. Does this mean I’ll have to constantly replenish them because I plan to get both a Flame and a Longnose Hawk (love them)?

Also, will the Hawkfish or my planned Marine Betta prey on the Pistol Shrimp that I’m planning for my YWG?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have a longnose, I lost my flame last year, lost as in vanished, I always have cleaner shrimps and added 2 last week, it never crossed my mind about the longnose, I wouldn't add sexy shrimps though! ;)

Wen

View Badges
Reaction score
I think it also depends on what size the flame hawks are when introduced.

My experience is a pair of small flames added to large (150gal) tank with pair of skunk cleaners was no problem at all...it’s been 5 years.
My flames don’t eat snails or hermits, they like a cleaning from the skunks, but it’s probably related to introduction size of fish, established shrimps and heavy feeding. ;)

I wouldn’t put a mature flame in a 30 gal with a shrimp and feed lightly.

Squidward

View Badges
Reaction score
My pair of flamehawks never bothered my Cleaner or Fire shrimp. Maybe if the shrimps were small? I would make sure your shrimps are on the larger side. Even so, flamehawks are way cooler than any shrimp so I'd pick the Flamehawk over the shrimp anyday.

Hugh Mann

View Badges
Reaction score
Unrelated.
I miss my Flame Hawk. Such cool fish, I can't wait until one graces my tank again.

Is your current reef tank the BEST reef aquarium you've ever had?

• Yes

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • No

Votes: 23 16.8%
  • It's a tie

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.6%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors