Flame Hawkfish care

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just recently purchased a flame Hawkfish from my LFS. I was wondering if my tank will need a hood? I read up a bit on these guys and some people have said that they are jumpers. Not sure how true this is but I just want some input. I'm currently running a 65gal red Sea with no lid. Thanks for any help or advice!

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish jump.
The flame not so much, it has a great personality and eats about everything you drop in the tank even you wedding ring :eek: well not really but honestly it's a great fish to have as you will be not disappointed.

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish jump.
The flame not so much, it has a great personality and eats about everything you drop in the tank even you wedding ring :eek: well not really but honestly it's a great fish to have as you will be not disappointed.
Thanks for your info! I'm super excited. It's adjusting to my tank well! Swimming in all nooks and crannies. Hasn't really ate much though. It's color still looks vibrant. It could be feeding off my pod population in my display, but who knows?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes pods are candy to the flame.
Enjoy it my friend.
Now you did ran it through the QT process right?

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not... I just slowly acclimated it. Bad? I'm still new to the hobby and only have 1 fish the rest is just corals. Don't know much about QT and stuff. I've had a clown for about a year now. No problems whatsoever.

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes pods are candy to the flame.
Enjoy it my friend.
Now you did ran it through the QT process right?
I did not... I just slowly acclimated it. Bad? I'm still new to the hobby and only have 1 fish the rest is just corals. Don't know much about QT and stuff. I've had a clown for about a year now. No problems whatsoever.

OP
OP
SillyBeast67

SillyBeast67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20170128_194112434-2356x3142.jpg

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawks are really cool fish, good choice. You may want to read up about qt for any future fish purchases, but enjoy your new fish. :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame hawks are incredibly personable, colorful and hardy. I highly recommend them for most tanks.

IME hawkfish are a pretty high risk for jumping. Not quite as jumpy as wrasses and dartfish, but still fairly risky to go carpet surfing or end up in overflows. I would strongly suggest a tight fitting lid. Preferably 1/4" mesh from BRS ratger than a hard glass lid that fish could injure themselves on when they jump.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite fish-- and although mine have never jumped, they are prone to it!

thabizness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hawk fish (I have both flame and longnose) will sit on things like algae magnets and nori clips near the top of the tank from time to time giving them a perfect place to go carpet surfing from. I keep a BRS mesh lid on my tank because of it. I have had too many fish go carpet surfing over the years. The cost of a DIY BRS mesh lid for my 180 was less then some of the fish I have.

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 pairs of Flames, a pair of Longnose and a Golden Hawkfish. Cover your tank, they will jump. They will eat almost anything. Feed a large variety of meaty fresh or frozen foods and you won't have a problem with them.

Nomadic1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one in my open top tank for 10 years now. Never has jumped. The one I had before it for 4 years didn't either. But, the longnose hawks I've tried to keep have all jumped.
Really, any fish can jump...

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 pairs of Flames, a pair of Longnose and a Golden Hawkfish. Cover your tank, they will jump. They will eat almost anything. Feed a large variety of meaty fresh or frozen foods and you won't have a problem with them.

They'll also eat your snails, shrimp, and small gobies. [emoji30]

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back