Flame Hawkfish Mouth Open

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I just had an inquiry about my Flame Hawk. For the past week or so, his mouth has been gaping open and he doesn’t seem to shut it too much. I’m sure it’s not a disease because I haven’t added any new fish for around 6 months and he’s eating and acting like he always has. Here is a picture for reference. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

FDF77C77-F619-4AB3-9B70-3039857A65A4.jpeg

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish need to open their mouths to pass water over their gills. If the fish has gill flukes for example, it may find it easier to breathe leaving the mouth open. I'd read the flukes threads on here and go from there.

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish need to open their mouths to pass water over their gills. If the fish has gill flukes for example, it may find it easier to breathe leaving the mouth open. I'd read the flukes threads on here and go from there.
Yeah I’ve seen my other fish have their mouths slightly open. His seems to be more ‘severe’ than usual. Do you think I should worry considering I’m not seeing anything else out of the ordinary?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, flukes is a likely possibly. If present they will need to be treated. They are parasites.

OP
OP
KeepSwimming12

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Like I said, flukes is a likely possibly. If present they will need to be treated. They are parasites.
Thank you I’ll keep flukes in mind. I’ve dealt with flukes before in another tank and I’m not seeing any of the typical symptoms of flukes in this Flame Hawk.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back