Flame hawkfish pair?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 70g and want to put another in. Figure tank be somewhat big enough. Not expecting they will pair but just don’t kill each other.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for months, I liked him so much I bought one for my Main Display tank. I dropped the second one into the DT and Immediately I felt sick ! After dropping him in he started to eyeball my cleaner shrimp Doc. At this point I remembered reading that they can kill shrimp.

So I did the impossible and scooped him out within five minutes. Now what ? That's right put him in with the Zeus. The two of them were like bookends. They were inseparable until for reasons unknown Poseidon jumped out. I would recommend one fairly larger than the other so there is no doubt who is going to be dominant.
They truly do have amazing personality’s! I see why everyone says that they’ll never have a tank without one again. I give you credit for catching him, that’s a talent you have! Sorry to hear you lost one, the two I got are about the same size so I hope they pair up

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 70g and want to put another in. Figure tank be somewhat big enough. Not expecting they will pair but just don’t kill each other.
From what I read as long as theirs lots of rock work and the tank isn’t jammed they should be ok, but I’m far from an expert

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the pair, the one is still doing very good with excellent colour. The other one no longer has those white dots around the eye. The day after I noticed them a lot were gone and it got them in between the eyes. Day after that they were on the other eye and then went away a few days later. The pimple on its side has gone down a lot but you can still see there was something there. I then noticed this tonight on its body, looks like agression to me but not very sure. Right behind its head
81C52837-6AF8-4876-B8C8-D439CB30FD25.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the pair, the one is still doing very good with excellent colour. The other one no longer has those white dots around the eye. The day after I noticed them a lot were gone and it got them in between the eyes. Day after that they were on the other eye and then went away a few days later. The pimple on its side has gone down a lot but you can still see there was something there. I then noticed this tonight on its body, looks like agression to me but not very sure. Right behind its head
81C52837-6AF8-4876-B8C8-D439CB30FD25.jpeg

Have you seen them hanging together.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a good video of the white spots. Their back, I will attach the link below
Did you tag Jay or post in the disease forum, it could be lymphocystis. This is brought on by stress and water conditions, I kind of refer to it as like a herpes virus. It will not kill them but could spread unsightly. While others have reported it can spread to other fish, I personally have not seen this. I have had fish with it, have scraped it off, sometimes to return, sometimes not. I have seen it appear and disappear, like I said above, likely during stressful and/or poor water conditions.

Flames are sneaky little creatures, the one may be bullying the other without you seeing it.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you tag Jay or post in the disease forum, it could be lymphocystis. This is brought on by stress and water conditions, I kind of refer to it as like a herpes virus. It will not kill them but could spread unsightly. While others have reported it can spread to other fish, I personally have not seen this. I have had fish with it, have scraped it off, sometimes to return, sometimes not. I have seen it appear and disappear, like I said above, likely during stressful and/or poor water conditions.

Flames are sneaky little creatures, the one may be bullying the other without you seeing it.
I didn’t do either, neither of the other two fish show symptoms. Does is cause harm to the fish or does it just kind of live with it? I tried recording them when no one was around like jay said but didn’t see anything, maybe I didn’t record long enough.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t do either, neither of the other two fish show symptoms. Does is cause harm to the fish or does it just kind of live with it? I tried recording them when no one was around like jay said but didn’t see anything, maybe I didn’t record long enough.

If it is lymphocystis, they will live with it, like I said, I describe it like herpes. While others have said it spreads I have seen no evidence of this, I have had 2 different fish in 2 different tanks with it, no other fish ever developed it, for years. One fish would pop up with it from time to time, likely when I let the water slip, or when he would get into with another fish that was like his nemesis. The other fish I scraped it off and it never came back.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is lymphocystis, they will live with it, like I said, I describe it like herpes. While others have said it spreads I have seen no evidence of this, I have had 2 different fish in 2 different tanks with it, no other fish ever developed it, for years. One fish would pop up with it from time to time, likely when I let the water slip, or when he would get into with another fish that was like his nemesis. The other fish I scraped it off and it never came back.
Ok good to hear, that makes sense since it keeps going away and coming back within a few days. I’ll keep an eye on the water parameters and make sure their at a good level. Thank you

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All other dots on the one hawkfish has gone away except this one. Came downstairs to see the two of them sitting side by side. Absolutely love these fish and so glad I got them
92A87B4C-8CD9-4122-A61C-5E77651C34BB.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the one that had the spots is bigger now for sure, I guess that’s another good sign right?

Yes, going back to my original theory, about the male/female dynamic. As long as they are "both" eating well, the larger one could be the male. I'm thinking once they both have their roles as a male and a female, they will great, maybe even a bonded couple. No one's dead yet, so I think we may have passed that.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, going back to my original theory, about the male/female dynamic. As long as they are "both" eating well, the larger one could be the male. I'm thinking once they both have their roles as a male and a female, they will great, maybe even a bonded couple. No one's dead yet, so I think we may have passed that.
Very true, both are big piggies. And once again thank you for all your help and the continued support.

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added them both to the dt today and went well, no agression from any other fish and their just minding their own buisness. They aren’t staying together just each doing their own thing

Back