Flameback angel aggression

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you have to make a choice .... get rid of it or live with the consequences. I have a lemonpeel in my reef tank. Most reefers would shudder at the thought of having one, but it's one of my absolutely favorite fish. Every now and then it destroys a colony of SPS (usually one of the more 'valuable' ones) but I put up with it.
How bad does he destroy the colony? Does he just tear the polyps off or what?

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to get these in Corpus Christi. I got the smallest first. She was thin and emaciated. Was in my tank for several weeks, then I add the other two at the same time. All three were females. Within two weeks, the largest one have already turn male, and the three have been stable since then. They chase each other a bit as can be seen in some of the video, however, I never seen any missing scale or torn fins, ever.
Right now I have one who is really aggressive, do you think I should just get two new flamebacks? The store near me has 3 really health looking and their about an 1” long. Only $40 each :)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not matter as long as they are females with only 1 male in the group. I would also make sure the females are not larger than the male

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
read posts #24 and #28 of this thread. I documented how to sex African Flameback angels clearly in these two posts.

I saw picture of your Flameback in one of your posts. She is a female.
1947948-2119d72c85aa906f172f52efb81e7786.jpg

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
read posts #24 and #28 of this thread. I documented how to sex African Flameback angels clearly in these two posts.

I saw picture of your Flameback in one of your posts. She is a female.
1947948-2119d72c85aa906f172f52efb81e7786.jpg
Thank you so much, I was reading your whole thread but got caught up at work! Do you have any more recent videos of your tank id love to see it. My flameback is so aggressive though. Do you think this will be safe if I add two more in with him

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much, I was reading your whole thread but got caught up at work! Do you have any more recent videos of your tank id love to see it. My flameback is so aggressive though. Do you think this will be safe if I add two more in with him

Did you end up adding one more?

Deep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting two more juveniles and they are both in my 10 gallon quarantine. To my surprise they aren’t fighting at all but hopefully it stays that way!

thanks for the update. Wonder if these additions will stop the aggressive flame back from picking on other tank mates.

OP
OP
J

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the update. Wonder if these additions will stop the aggressive flame back from picking on other tank mates.
I might just put these two in another tank by themselves cause my first flameback from over a year ago is so aggressive to everyone other than my yellow tang who is huge

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back