Fleshy looking lumps under torch coral tissue

Vdlibrtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, assuming this torch is fine but curious as to what this is, not sure if it caught some food and is eating or if irritated, hasn't been retracted lately and all water params are in my standard range. Just curious to know if this can be identified.. TIA!

20231224_150437.jpg 20231224_150429.jpg 20231224_151302.jpg

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
added an orange filter , here's one with white lighting
The ones on the coral by the head are mesenterial filaments (a sign of stress/bad health in this case); the ones by the base are pineapple sponges (Genus Sycon) - they're harmless filter feeders.

OP
OP
V

Vdlibrtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones on the coral by the head are mesenterial filaments (a sign of stress/bad health in this case); the ones by the base are pineapple sponges (Genus Sycon) - they're harmless filter feeders.
yeah thats what I was worried about! thanks for thr answer... this torch had almost zero tissue when I bought it but during the day its been super fluffy.. would you suggest a dip?

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah thats what I was worried about! thanks for thr answer... this torch had almost zero tissue when I bought it but during the day its been super fluffy.. would you suggest a dip?
Without knowing what seems to be irritating it, I personally wouldn't, but others might. Is there anything that could be bothering it - something else in the tank (such as a fish, invert, or neighboring coral) maybe?

OP
OP
V

Vdlibrtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without knowing what seems to be irritating it, I personally wouldn't, but others might. Is there anything that could be bothering it - something else in the tank (such as a fish, invert, or neighboring coral) maybe?
I don't think so.. its neighboring corals have remained the same (more torches) no new additions or anything and my parameters are where they've always been... it looks super irritated in the photo but 20 min later its looking normal... I think it may be just growing pains or something, its right near where it was fragged through what looked like existing flesh so hoping its a one off.

Thanks for all the useful info, ill just keep an eye on it!

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think so.. its neighboring corals have remained the same (more torches) no new additions or anything and my parameters are where they've always been... it looks super irritated in the photo but 20 min later its looking normal... I think it may be just growing pains or something, its right near where it was fragged through what looked like existing flesh so hoping its a one off.

Thanks for all the useful info, ill just keep an eye on it!
Keep a keen eye out for euphyllia-eating flatworms. This kind of behavior can be typical for an infestation, that and tissue recession

OP
OP
V

Vdlibrtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a keen eye out for euphyllia-eating flatworms. This kind of behavior can be typical for an infestation, that and tissue recession
I actually see little white bugs crawling on multiple torch polyps now. ive had red planaria and euphyllia eating flatworms in the past... reading that interceptor works but might try a coral dip called ME

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually see little white bugs crawling on multiple torch polyps now. ive had red planaria and euphyllia eating flatworms in the past... reading that interceptor works but might try a coral dip called ME
I don't think white bugs affect LPS, @ISpeakForTheSeas any knowelage on this?

Most likely they're just pods IMO but always good to be sure

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Xarifia gracilipes is a parasitic pod known to go after Euphyllia glabrescens (torch corals), so it's possible:

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xarifia gracilipes is a parasitic pod known to go after Euphyllia glabrescens (torch corals), so it's possible:
I think I did see a thread earlier on an infestation of some sort of white pod/crustacean on a frogspawn.

OP
OP
V

Vdlibrtr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i only have them on two out of ten torches and have found some threads on here about people with the same thing. if it weren't for the unusual mesenterial filaments I wouldn't be concerned.

Some of the threads I've found have suggested a Six line wrasse might eat them... also killed lots of pods with ME coral dip but these guys remain... im probably jumping the gun since the corals are doing well this morning and those filaments went away, so ill wait on a dip to see if the wrasse doesn't do the trick and do some research in the meantime.

pics of the dip and the second coral... the white dots on the left side in the darker areas are all over and skitter around.

Merry Christmas, and thanks for the help everyone

Attachments

• 17035344692723303169685195871857.jpg
    17035344692723303169685195871857.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 17035344981401590416883398849477.jpg
    17035344981401590416883398849477.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 24

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there's no guarantee these things are an issue (or even that the coral is necessarily unhealthy - I'm not a coral expert, and I'm definitely not an expert with recovering corals), but I'd think it's something to keep an eye on for sure. Since you know what two corals currently have them, I'd say to observe those corals and see if the other one starts potentially showing issues too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back