Float switch in overflow?

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking this might be a good idea to shut off my return pump if my overflow ever got backed up by anything. Would this work out?

I have a varios 6 and was thinking about setting it up either in the display or the sump but thought the overflow would be best. Anyone ever run a float switch in their overflow?

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking this might be a good idea to shut off my return pump if my overflow ever got backed up by anything. Would this work out?

I have a varios 6 and was thinking about setting it up either in the display or the sump but thought the overflow would be best. Anyone ever run a float switch in their overflow?
I can't see why it wouldn't work.

I'd personally want to have an emergency drain that full siphon (you'll hear it) but keeps heated water moving to the display.

But for people that do not have the ability for an emergency drain, sounds like a decent idea.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see why it wouldn't work.

I'd personally want to have an emergency drain that full siphon (you'll hear it) but keeps heated water moving to the display.

But for people that do not have the ability for an emergency drain, sounds like a decent idea.
I’m actually still trying to get my overflow to go full siphon. I’ve heard it once or twice and it was amazingly silent. Problem is I need another gate valve ( should be here today) to attempt to silence it.
I’m thinking if I had a full siphon I wouldn’t need a float switch at all cause I would assume the water would be flowing through the pipes in that case.

I’m just trying to plan ahead considering I do only have one overflow output and it’s an external overflow. More concerned about a snail or something climbing down the tube rather than my sump overflowing or about anything else really.

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m actually still trying to get my overflow to go full siphon. I’ve heard it once or twice and it was amazingly silent. Problem is I need another gate valve ( should be here today) to attempt to silence it.
I’m thinking if I had a full siphon I wouldn’t need a float switch at all cause I would assume the water would be flowing through the pipes in that case.

I’m just trying to plan ahead considering I do only have one overflow output and it’s an external overflow. More concerned about a snail or something climbing down the tube rather than my sump overflowing or about anything else really.
What are you running for an overflow style? Only 1 gate valve should be needed and it should be on the full siphon (lowest tube in your overflow).

Get it running until it gurgles and flushes.. then slowly turn the gate valve in the closed direction keeping an eye on your overflow. Once the water level gets to the point where it begins barely trickling over your second overflow pipe, leave it.

It may require some further fine tuning after an hour or so.

If you can't get a full siphon at all, it means you are not pushing enough water to the display from the sump.

HTH

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately am running just a lifereef overflow. It’s really fool proof regards to keeping siphon, the only problem is my system is like this... I have a ball valve yet not the gate valve. I was thinking the gate valve from the t off my return line towards the manifold would make the flow correct, but it didn’t. Barely get any flow to my refugium.

9F8FBACF-706E-4171-85E7-4B5F5AC98D6E.jpeg

28B28EF2-BAE7-48B0-885B-2C52C6AD300C.jpeg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately am running just a lifereef overflow. It’s really fool proof regards to keeping siphon, the only problem is my system is like this... I have a ball valve yet not the gate valve. I was thinking the gate valve from the t off my return line towards the manifold would make the flow correct, but it didn’t. Barely get any flow to my refugium.

9F8FBACF-706E-4171-85E7-4B5F5AC98D6E.jpeg

28B28EF2-BAE7-48B0-885B-2C52C6AD300C.jpeg
I'm not sure what i am looking at. Any picture including the overflow itself?

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im confused you only have one drain and a valve on it? My butt cheeks would be at a constant state of pucker. Id run that baby wide open regardless of noise... maybe make the top a durso style

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im confused you only have one drain and a valve on it? My butt cheeks would be at a constant state of pucker. Id run that baby wide open regardless of noise... maybe make the top a durso style
You basically summed it all up. I currently have a ball valve on it despite it being open. Basically I put it on to be able to do a quick shut off for maintence and whatnot. It should have been a gate valve. I used the gate valve on the little section to the fuge yet that barely gets any flow it all goes to the socks. I intend to put a gate valve at the entrance of my socks to the direct flow to the fuge + create a full siphon.

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally if you only have one drain dont restrict it, that is a disaster waiting to happen. Take a picture so we can see if you can make it like a durso

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These might be what you want. Basically it’s a one output overflow.

A89EC8D1-96D1-4A56-BFF8-719F5010FA44.jpeg

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents is i wouldnt restrict it, i recently set up a bean animal which is a full siphon and an emergency. I can sometimes hear more water getting pushed down the emergency. Is it worth the risk of an overflow?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 cents is i wouldnt restrict it, i recently set up a bean animal which is a full siphon and an emergency. I can sometimes hear more water getting pushed down the emergency. Is it worth the risk of an overflow?
I hear where you’re coming from.. but that leads back to my original question, of a shut off switch in my overflow. I’m thinking it would cut it off so it wouldn’t necessarily overflow either. I’d rather have them both shut off and keep movement in the tank and some movement in my sump from my protein skimmer. That way the tank won’t overflow and neither will the overflow

ontop27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha very true. I hear lifereefs are really good at restarting the siphon, but have you ever had an issue? I wouldnt want to start and stop a hang on the back overflow more than i needed too.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha very true. I hear lifereefs are really good at restarting the siphon, but have you ever had an issue? I wouldnt want to start and stop a hang on the back overflow more than i needed too.
I’ve axtually tested it multiple times, and despite just starting my setup like 3 weeks ago, I’ve yet to lose the siphon no matter how many times I restart or whatnot. However that’s not really the case with my plumbing considering it’s yet to get filled, id rather be able to practice that as well ( ball valve close the overflow see if the float switch activated and shuts off pump

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I run a ghost-style overflow with a bean drain, I still mounted an optical sensor inside the external box ..... can never have too many failsafes.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I run a ghost-style overflow with a bean drain, I still mounted an optical sensor inside the external box ..... can never have too many failsafes.
Great. I currently have a regular float switch I believe. What exactly is yours connected to in regards to the overflow and to what it’s connected to to shut off?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's mounted at the top of the external box (as you can see from the outside in this picture). If water rises in the box to the point that the emergency is engaged the switch will trigger. I'm very reluctant to use these kinds of switch applications to trigger anything; I have it only to issue a warning via apex. Plus, in my case it's primarily to tell me that there is some kind of obstruction in one of my siphon lines and to go and look; as opposed to 'there's about to be a flood'.

IMG_0700.JPG

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's mounted at the top of the external box (as you can see from the outside in this picture). If water rises in the box to the point that the emergency is engaged the switch will trigger. I'm very reluctant to use these kinds of switch applications to trigger anything; I have it only to issue a warning via apex. Plus, in my case it's primarily to tell me that there is some kind of obstruction in one of my siphon lines and to go and look; as opposed to 'there's about to be a flood'.

IMG_0700.JPG
I have a Profilux 4 coming in and I guess will look into some sort of float valves for such a thing. It will be just some sort of confidence Incase a snail or something gets stuck down my drain. Incase you couldn’t see, my overflow is a hang on back, my tank isn’t drilled unfortunately. If it was everything would have been a lot better.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilled is better yes ...... though you do have purple PVC :)

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drilled is better yes ...... though you do have purple PVC :)
My plan today, is to remove my overflow plumbing and attempt to put a gate valve into my bulkhead of the sump by threading it in, or doing some sort of modification... Im hoping that once theres a gate valve there I can finally get some flow to my fuge, and to silence my overflow completely. Then the next step is the float switches and all that fun stuff.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back