Float valve inside skimmer cup

FeliciaM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone ever tried installing a float valve inside a skimmer cup to connect to an Apex to turn off their skimmer when the cup gets full?

Can you tell me what skimmer and float valve you used? Thanks.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
giphy (1).gif
#WelcometoR2R
Pretty much any vertical float switch would work for this application. When the skimmer cup gets full, the switch floats up and cuts power to the pump :)
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/float-switch-vertical-mount.html

OP
OP
FeliciaM

FeliciaM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that's awesome. I'm just curious about which float switches would fit in which skimmer. My current skimmer cup is way too small for a float. I'll take a look for that reef octopus one.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Breeders (sponsor here with a forum) sells a Coral box skimmer that has a float built into the cup. I have one that I just bought, but it's not in use yet as I'm just getting a new sump/refugium ready. I can say that putting the skimmer together was interesting. The parts all seemed to be made of good quality material, nothing seemed cheap or frail and the fit when it was all together was really top quality in my book. And I've had some $700+ skimmers in the past that I don't think were as well made as this one for $250.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or, you can add a remote skimmate collector with a switch and controller included. You may have to install a drain in the bottom of your cup, but a lot of them have drains already. Plug your skimmer into the provided controller and when the collector reservoir fills up with skimmate, the power will be cut to your skimmer pump. There is also a small carbon filter on the top to eliminate odors.

https://www.avastmarine.com/products/djsl

And - Welcome to R2R!

WelcomeSmileyPool.gif

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Ron Reefman the coral box skimmers are beautifuly made and very reasonably priced with auto cutoff float switch built in.. I just started this one less than 48 hrs ago on a empty tank with just live rock and it’s pulling tons of crap out of the water already

8918844B-7BAB-4004-954B-3CF67599323C.jpeg

Last edited:

Tapio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone ever tried installing a float valve inside a skimmer cup to connect to an Apex to turn off their skimmer when the cup gets full?

Can you tell me what skimmer and float valve you used? Thanks.
I have rigged float switches into skimmer cups and that works but they complicate cleaning of the lid. So I am using an Apex leak detector probe that is just placed on top of the skimmer. When it overflows the bubbles/liquid comes out of the venting holes and the ALD shuts off the skimmer. I have the leak detector probe wrapped in some paper towel because without it it occasionally caused false alarms due to moisture I think. The leak detector is very sensitive. Reef Octopus 5000int skimmer.
IMG_7133.jpg

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried doing it with a little Amazon vertical float switch. It is connected to my breakout box and triggers the skimmer to turn off when the cup is full. HOWEVER, it usually does NOT work when the skimmer overflows because there is something about the bubbles from the skimmer that prevents the float from floating. It works if I put it in pure water but usually doesn’t not when I force the the skimmer to overflow. Still trying to debug it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back