Flooding with RO units - Lets be honest

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always place the bucket I'm filling ontop of my top load washing machine. That way if it floods, it will have to fill that ~60 gallon wash drum first. For my 300 gallon tank my ATO is a 44 gallon brute, and that has a float valve. It's only my 20 gallon where I need to fill up a 5 gallon ATO manually every month or so.

Whiskey

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is (will be) at work so I've been making my RODI water in 55-gal drums in a lab down the hall from my office. I hang my car keys on the RODI unit so I can't leave without turning it off. There is also a floor drain :)

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's happened to many us and even myself - The Dreaded flooding using an RO unit because we walked away for a minute and promised ourselves to keep an eye on it.
Its avoidable yet it gets the best of us and if not . . . . sooner or later it does.

What is the worst disaster you endured with an RO unit and what did you have to do to clean it up?
Have you come up with a plan to avoid a repeat event with your unit ?

For me, At my previous house, it was walking away from laundry room and forgetting I was filling bottles. Bottles were on my washing machine and ran down machine into drain which thankfully my laundry had. I now use mixing station with a float which shuts off water flow.

RO joke.jpg
Mine is an attachment to the kitchen faucet! Always forget about it until my boyfriend is like “lady you are flooding the kitchen again”

floridareeflabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a float valve and your good to go. We use these in all our sumps and culture systems and are directly fed from RODI system and we never look back. Apex is great but expensive when dealing with multiple tanks and rather than depend on pumps and sensors we just let the RODI system do its thing on its own with float in the right spot. If you have a container up high you can put float in there too and let rodi fill it and use gravity to feed tank and then only turn rodi on when you want but just one more thing to do vs let it just feed things as needed.

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set the timer in my iPhone for 3 hours, which is how long it takes to make about 20 gallons of RODI. It goes off about 10 mins before I’ve made my standard amount, with plenty of room to spare in my Brute container. I’m pretty disciplined about it but have forgotten to set it a couple of times… always discovering my feeble-mindedness in the first hour. Not foolproof obviously.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back